Sprints, Limiteds, exclusives; run of bad luck

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
INFRNL

Sprints, Limiteds, exclusives; run of bad luck

Post by INFRNL »

I wanted to start this thread because I have been having bad luck lately. I wanted to see if anyone else has had any issues.

When I started with normal production knives; evey knife has been **** near perfect. No blade play, centered blades, great grinds on the blades, etc.

In the past week I have been working on knifes that are either sprints, limited, exclusive and/or discontinued. Every knife in these categories have been a disappointment to some degree

Orange jigged bone damascus Delica: tight, not smooth, not centered, tolerance issue on the inside of the back spacer that nicked the blade

Tan M4 Manix 2: some kind of black corrosin in the jimping, blade not centered, Fully tightened, there is excessive lateral blade play.

Michael Walker: blade not centered, but not bad enough for me to want to send it in, but slightly irritating.

Just received my Caly 3.5 Superblue: Blade off center about as much as my MW, but not bad enough that I will send it in. Noticeable and slightly irritating. It was rough, but put a little lube on it and got much better. Also one side of the grind is inconsistant and over ground. ( I will try to get a good pic of it and post)

This is 4 in a row that have had irritating issues of some kind and didn't start till I got these non-production knives. I do not know if its just the luck of the draw or because I didn't start collecting Spydies till they almost became extinct and I am getting the left overs, I just don't know, but its kind of sad because these cost a good premium more, but I feel like I am getting poorer quality.

Also on the Caly 3.5 SB; I noticed there are not any bushings at all; Is this the way they made these? I would imaging they would have used bushings of some sort. not good to have blade directly rubbing on liners; no wonder it wasn't smooth.

Please feel free to share any experiences. I really would like to know if your Caly 3.5 SB's have bushings. I think this is the only knife I have that didn't get bushings. Even the cheap knives have bushings.

I have a CF Stretch coming next week, hopefully that one will meet my standards that I started with and locked me in on Spydercos knives and quality.

Thanks for stopping by.

Here we go with some pics; they do not show accurate details. Also note; The PM2 does have a centered blade even though it does not look like it.Hopefully you can see them. Image shack makes them darker and harder to see the finer details

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If a little grit and an uncentered blade are bothering you im sorry. These are production made tools so costs are focused around performance. Get out some mineral oil, sandpaper and a torx set if you wanna tweak them more perfect.

As for your opinion of bushings I have to believe Moki knows a bit more about making a knife.

The F&F difference between a Spyderco and CRK/Strider is not akin to the price difference, especially of you compare blade steels. Personally (I speak only for myself) I have NO interest in paying $300 for a Caly3.5 with 10-20% better finishing.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I found that with my Lum Tanto. The blade isn't centered, the grind is way different from one side to the other. I sent the first one back and the dealer told me I was being too picky so I just asked them to pick the best one for me and its pretty similar, in fact the grind is even wonkier on the replacement but I love the knife so I forgave it for its sins. My Phoenix also has some issues but same deal I love the knife so i kept it.

It seems like we are spoiled by the production knives not the other way around, probably because when they are producing so many they get the kinks worked out early on and they keep refining the knife when they are producing so many as opposed to a limited run? I'm not sure that's just a guess.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Thanks for the input Blerv. I mainly brought up the centering because all my normal production spydercos have been **** near perfect. The off centering didn't start till I started getting these limited/discontinued knives. I can tolerate some off centering, but do not particularly like it when they sit of to one side. especially when my $40 spydies are just right.

the grittiness isn't an issue being that its resolved, at least for now. Could have been worse like razors issue with this chaparral. I just have an issue if it cannot be resolved.

typically I would think bushings are a wear item and protect the blade and liners from wearing. also they aid in blade positioning. Just thought it was weird that this knife did not have any, first in my collection as far as I know.

EDIT: I also want to add on the grind issue; this is namely my biggest rant. One side is perfect or close to it. Nice, even approx 1/32" across the board. The bad side ranges from less than 1/32" to a solid 1/16" and it varies along the entire edge. I do not have the means to fix it myself. I know things will not always be perfect and I probably am being too picky. but this is the worst grind I have had and it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
Some things i can deal with, but when you are spending your hard earned money on a $200 knife you want it to meet your likings. You don't go buy a new $500k home or $200k Ferrari and deal with flaws that are noticeable.

K I'm done now, better go smoke and relax...maybe theres a dos equis in the fridge :)
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Elsilrac1

Post by Elsilrac1 »

I expect centered blades and smooth opening blades - especially on your Damascus Delica -
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I understand and empathize, truly.

Having a $40 centered Spyderco is great but doesn't mean it's a function requirement. My cento3 has better F&F than my Phoenix but its not a better made knife. It's a combo of luck and material costs that separates a "show stopper" from a "user".

My only point is many things can be remedied whether by the user or a person like STR or others who mod Spydies. Otherwise we have to accept they are production knives. Perhaps expensive but a custom Damascus Delica would cost twice or three times that (speculation).

Again, sorry for everyone's frustration from one humble enthusiast to another.
rycen

Post by rycen »

The sprints or limited runs are not held to a higher standard than normal production.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

almost every knife ive had from spyderco has had flawless action, centered blades etc. The SB caly had a little dirt, but it was only dirt, no burrs or anything and is now my smoothest spyderco.
The only one I have had a problem with is Chap which is en route to sal on monday, I am certain that if i got another (I plan to), it would fix itself.) :) . I reckon production and sprints are made to a similar quality. :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

rycen wrote:The sprints or limited runs are not held to a higher standard than normal production.
True. In fact due to low production the teams have less time to adapt to the process and materials. With difficult materials like the CF Walker we saw some finishing difficulties.

The cost you pay for a sprint is usually additional due to materials; the frn sprints (eg Matriarch) arent really more expensive than standard production comparables. The Damascus for example has a higher msrp than a g10 Delica did but those weren't dirt cheap. Likely why they went away. :(

The only real alternatives I see is increasing msrp for additional finishing expense, stop doing limited runs, or continue in the spirit of the current.
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

I love full blown customs, but have sold most of mine. For the price of Spyderco's I can put up with a bad one every now and then. I've only had to send two back(Para, Millie), so I've been pretty lucky.

I did have to send a sprint run brown Military back not that long ago that had a liner that stuck really bad.

But for a factory knife I feel I've had pretty good luck with Spyderco.
Have some sprints coming, so i hope I just didn't jinx myself,lol.
Slash

Post by Slash »

sell all the ones you don't like...hopefully at a profit. then, buy a custom, or try to fix the problems youself.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

In most knives I tend to think of an uncentered blade as a non issue because by loosening the screws off and realigning the scales I can usually get the blade taken care of.
An uneven grind I have mixed feelings about. If it is slight, I figure, ok it is done by hand so I can forgive a little difference. However, if the grind is really off...I then think. ok time for this person to get a new job because if it is your job to put a nice even grind on a knife and you make it just obviously sloppy...there is an issue.

The make of the super blue (moki?) does use washers but that doesn't stop the knives from being seriously smooth, though at the beginning they can be a bit rough. I use a teflon lube that has done a really great job on my SB.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

[quote="Blerv"]Otherwise we have to accept they are production knives. Perhaps expensive but a custom Damascus Delica would cost twice or three times that (speculation).QUOTE]

I have to agree with you there. I own the Damascus Delica (although the FF is very good on mine) and price wise it is hard to touch for at least double that amount. And look at the Chockwe, that knife from a value perspective blows me away. I have a Sibenza 21 and don't get me wrong it's agreat knife everyone knows that, but the F&F on the Chockwe, the blade steel, titanium frame lock for what it costs ... no one can touch that knife.

I expect perfection on my Sibenza, for almost $500 is should be perfect and it is, but sometimes I get perfection from Spyderco for one third of that amount of money and that blows me away.

Sorry I think I went a little off topic.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

If you live in the Springs, I would suggest going to the SFO to buy any future Spyderco knives. Every time you go there you can personally inspect every knife before you take it home so you know 100% that it's as good as it can be. True, you may pay more, and you'd have to drive 1.5 hrs to get there, but if you are having this problem repeatedly, it may be an option worth considering.

Another thought, since you mentioned the last few have been sprints, etc, etc I'm wondering if they may be factory 2nd's. I'd say the blade centering thing is likely within specs, but if it's too bad it might have been a 2nd someone picked up and is selling as new. Might be worth considering if nothing else. Either way, sorry to hear about your run of bad luck.
Elsilrac1

Post by Elsilrac1 »

250 dollars for a Damascus Delica warrants a centered blade - period - no question in my book
syphen

Post by syphen »

Why do people consider blade centering catastrophic of its off a hair ? 9 times out of 10, by backing the pivot off and re-adjusting, it can easily be entered. Most of us adjust pivots on our knives... I always do to get the feeling I want.
Too many Spydies to list!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Millions of people have one leg that is shorter than the other. More people complain about blade centering ;) .
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I think we get spoiled I only own one knife that the blade is not centered on (or not centred for us Canadians) so when you get so many that are perfect you just start to expect it. I like symmetry that is probably my problem, I have just vowed not to look at it ... its better for me that way.
HighDesertSpyder

Eureka Moment

Post by HighDesertSpyder »

Blerv wrote:Millions of people have one leg that is shorter than the other. More people complain about blade centering ;) .
My God man, Blerv is right and now my Manix 2 Sprint doesn't look so bad :eek:
(this is a lighten up moment...:spyder :)
:spyder:74:spyder:
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

HighDesertSpyder wrote:My God man, Blerv is right and now my Manix 2 Sprint doesn't look so bad :eek:
(this is a lighten up moment...:spyder :)
Hows your leg?