Ladybug Salt Hawkbill arrived...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
INFRNL

Ladybug Salt Hawkbill arrived...

Post by INFRNL »

I recently had a recommendation from Jabba for this knife and decided to try it since it was only $34. I must say that I was very shocked when I opened the box :eek: :confused:
I did not realize how small the ladybug is. This is THE smallest knife I have ever seen. Not sure how much I will use it because of its size. This knife in a DF platform would be more ideal. or maybe the tasman. I do like the yellow even though I went against my ritual of no frn.

I honestly do not know what hawkbills were originally designed for, but I could see using it, but preferably a slightly larger version. Even though this knife is miniature, the finger placement fits very well.
I did a quick test and cut a few pieces of cardboard. It did ok and took a decent amount of force; much more than some of my ohter knives I have cut cardboard with. Overall its a really cool little addition. I might try to keep it on my keychain. We will see how long it will be a member of the family.

here are a few quick shots I took.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's certainly small. The Tasman is definitely bigger.

I will say the Hawkbill Ladybug cuts far more aggressive than the standard one and serrations push this even further. I bet that little thing would cut like a PE Delica in some situations.

Carry and use it a while, it might grow on ya. If not, I'm sure another forum crowd would love to take it off your hands.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Blerv wrote:It's certainly small. The Tasman is definitely bigger.

I will say the Hawkbill Ladybug cuts far more aggressive than the standard one and serrations push this even further. I bet that little thing would cut like a PE Delica in some situations.

Carry and use it a while, it might grow on ya. If not, I'm sure another forum crowd would love to take it off your hands.
Thanks,
I will check it out and try to use it so I can know for sure. Lately, things that I am not so sure about tend to grow on me ;)
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Congrats on your new LadyHawk!

I love the small form of it (in certain applications, of course) Keychain carry, as you mention, being one of them. It's not a primary knife for me but it sees regular use, none the less.

The regular LB is my favorite micro knife and I just scored a ZDP model (arrived today, actually) Love the FFG on that one. Not sure where it's gonna wind up as the green LB is very jealously on my keys right now. I keep a second keyring in the car.... maybe there... Hmmmm.

Anyway, I think you'll find a 1000 small uses for that little one.

Enjoy,

Ken
玉鋼
ShawnKirkpatrick

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

I thought the same thing you did when I first opened it, and I can insure you it will grow on you. I threw on a lanyard to extend the length a bit, Which makes opening, closing, and cutting a whole lot easier. I have actually been using it more than my Delica 4 FFG, It will be real handy this summer when there is a lot of garden work and yard work to do! But I do warn you, make sure you have a torx bit that fits it cause it loosens up quite a bit.. and pretty quick if you do alot of heavy cutting. But other than that its a great knife, enjoy it! :D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

INFRNL wrote:I recently had a recommendation from Jabba for this knife and decided to try it since it was only $34. I must say that I was very shocked when I opened the box :eek: :confused:
Oh no! I hope I didn't lead you astray with my recommendation! I just thought it was a cheap way to get some variety in your collection (hawkbill, H1, serrations, and a Ladybug all in one). I certainly hope that you end up liking it better after some use. While it may not particularly excel at cardboard cutting, I find that mine is very versatile and gets used a ton.

A D'Fly sized hawkbill would be great, especially since all the other sizes are covered: Ladybug, Delica/Tasman, Endura/Spyderhawk.
ShawnKirkpatrick wrote:But I do warn you, make sure you have a torx bit that fits it cause it loosens up quite a bit.. and pretty quick if you do alot of heavy cutting. But other than that its a great knife, enjoy it! :D
I little dab of loctite should solve this as well.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I also recently picked up a Ladybug Salt Hawkbill (an early Christmas gift from myself to myself ;) ) and I absolutely love it! After a few weeks of general EDC use, I can honestly say that this little knife has some serious chops. The small dimensions met my needs perfectly, because I needed a knife that would be suitable for lightweight dress slacks.

Ladybug Salt Hawkbill = a rust proof, bite-sized chainsaw :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

jabba359 wrote:Oh no! I hope I didn't lead you astray with my recommendation! I just thought it was a cheap way to get some variety in your collection (hawkbill, H1, serrations, and a Ladybug all in one). I certainly hope that you end up liking it better after some use. While it may not particularly excel at cardboard cutting, I find that mine is very versatile and gets used a ton.

A D'Fly sized hawkbill would be great, especially since all the other sizes are covered: Ladybug, Delica/Tasman, Endura/Spyderhawk.

I little dab of loctite should solve this as well.
You did good. There are a couple others you rec'd that I plan to get sometime as well. I guess I was just in shock of the actual size; however suprisingly it fits the hand really well. The finger indents are placed just right for me.
I used it to open mail today; that did not go over too well. I really like how the curved tip easily punctures though! I will have to go buy some locktite to keep on hand.

@ everyone: what specific tasks do you guys use this knife for? Some say gardening, but what are we talking about exactly, pruning flowers?

Thanks for everyones input so far :)
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

The ladybug hawkbill is actually pretty ferocious in certain applications :cool:

Spyderco Ladybug as OSS hideout

Ladybug Hawkbill for self defense
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Nice, thanks for the pics!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sweet pics, Mark. :) I'm telling you, I'd almost (almost) rather get nailed by a Civie vs. one of these little guys...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The perk of a hawkbill is as some cleverly phrase, "sink the tip and let it rip" ;) . The teeth make opening some things like envelopes difficult but others a breeze.

I like being able to deeply start a cut while keeping the handle flat. Play with some angles of cutting and trying to use a tooth or two rather than sawing. You can drag them to score something. I also love being able to hook under something and pull upward to free it.

Just some ideas. Yea the tip is mean though, lol. Watch the fingers!