New Para 2 arrived / a quick question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jwh

New Para 2 arrived / a quick question

Post by jwh »

I received my Para 2 a few minutes ago. Nice. I do notice that it is MUCH harder to open and close than my Manix 2 or Native FRN. On my Manix it's an easy flick to open and the weight of the blade will close it when released. Does the Para 2 require a break-in period. Everything else checks out just fine unless my excitement is blinding me.

Enduro4, Delica 4 and UK Penknife due later this week. Last of the Christmas gift money.
Thanks,
jwh :spyder:

[CENTER]Manix 2 / Native Lightweight FRN / ParaMilitary 2 / Endura 4 FRN / Delica 4 FRN
UK Penknife FRN / Native 5 / Leafstorm / Urban Wharncliffe
/ Stretch FRN / ManBug G10
[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Delica 4 FRN / Dragonfly 2 H1 FRN / Yojimbo 2 / Ladybug 3 H1 FRN / Military [/CENTER]
Bearcat1

Post by Bearcat1 »

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry I cannot answer your question as the Para 2 is one of the models I do not own, yet. ;)

Jeff
Mad is bad. - Sal :)
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Initially mine was the same. I guess it's the brief break in period when the bushings get conditioned enough to allow for a smooth opening and closing. No need to adjust anything I think. Mines smooth now.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

It should drop freely when disengaged. I would try loosening the pivot screw.
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Para 2s have a fairly strong detent and takes a little getting used to. It does get a bit easier but not by much. Personally, I prefer a strong detent. It sure beats having a knife open up in your pocket. ;)
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
jwh

Post by jwh »

Bearcat1 wrote:Welcome to the forum!
Jeff
Thanks for the welcome.
Thanks,

[CENTER]Manix 2 / Native Lightweight FRN / ParaMilitary 2 / Endura 4 FRN / Delica 4 FRN
[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Delica 4 FRN / Dragonfly 2 H1 FRN / Yojimbo 2 / Ladybug 3 H1 FRN / Military [/CENTER]
jwh

Post by jwh »

KardinalSyn wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Initially mine was the same. I guess it's the brief break in period when the bushings get conditioned enough to allow for a smooth opening and closing. No need to adjust anything I think. Mines smooth now.
Thanks. My initial thought is to wait and see. Do no harm so to speak.
Thanks,

[/CENTER]
jwh

Post by jwh »

Spydesense wrote:It should drop freely when disengaged. I would try loosening the pivot screw.
It doesn't. I will give it a little while and then adjust if necessary.
Thanks,

[/CENTER]
jwh

Post by jwh »

dsmegst wrote:Para 2s have a fairly strong detent and takes a little getting used to. It does get a bit easier but not by much. Personally, I prefer a strong detent. It sure beats having a knife open up in your pocket. ;)
I agree with you on that. I do have and carry many non locking knives as well and have never had any knife open unexpectedly.
Thanks,

[/CENTER]
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

Ya def dont loosen the pivot screw until u have given it like a week to break in (depending on how many times you open/close it)

Mine was the same, had it for 3 weeks now and as soon as i press the lock release, it will literally drop closed with a little flick of the wrist, i didnt touch the pivot screw...

You dont have to worry about it coming open in the pocket either, even with almost no friction between locks, it still stays closed. try and fling it open without touching the blade...i bet it doesn't come open...

i <3 PM2
welcome to the forum :) im still new too
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have 6 Para 2s so far, and I've never had to break any of them in. A pivot adjustment was needed on a couple of them (for slight blade play), but that always fixed any problems. They are all a little bit different, with slightly different detent strengths and lock tension, etc. But they all operate smoothly.
:bug-red-white
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

gbelleh wrote:I have 6 Para 2s so far, and I've never had to break any of them in. A pivot adjustment was needed on a couple of them (for slight blade play), but that always fixed any problems. They are all a little bit different, with slightly different detent strengths and lock tension, etc. But they all operate smoothly.
I agree with this. A couple of mine needed adjustment. Absolutely no reason not to adjust the pivot tension right away. If it loosens up too much you just adjust it again.
Random Chance

Post by Random Chance »

I have 3 examples of the para 2 in my collection, and of those 2 of them were freakishly smooth right out of the box while the 3rd one needed a little time to break in. After I spent several days knifesturbating with it, everything loosened up and it is now just as smooth as the other two. Give it a couple hundred openings and closings and it will most likely smooth right out.
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

The only Para 2 I own was incredibly sticky when I first bought it. I ended up taking it apart and giving it a once over and a little more lubrication at the pivot point as well as a slight pivot screw adjustment. It's a lot better but the detent is still a little more than I'd like it to be but the opening/closing movement is leaps and bounds over what it was before.
G10KnifeNut

Post by G10KnifeNut »

mine was suppper tight. I had to loosen the pivot and now its alright, still a little tight but whatever :)
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome jwh. I went to the SFO store in Golden Colorado last summer and wanted a digicam Para2, but it was rough to open. They also had the grey carpenter sprint Para2 there and it was silky smooth to open and close, the best that I had ever felt. I almost bought it, just because of that.

However, since I am an old redneck at heart, I wanted the camo and bought it. We were camping in Colorado, so at the camp site, I would open and close it over and over and over. I do that anyway with a new knife, just because it's new and I like to mess with them. But I opened and closed this one countless times. Anyway, it took quite a while, but it became as smooth as the one at the SFO.

Good luck man, it's a great knife.
jwh

Post by jwh »

Thanks all for your input.
Thanks,

[/CENTER]
gmcsuja

Post by gmcsuja »

I agree with the grey Carpenter Steel Para - the smoothest one I own. Had to get an extra...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Is the action stiff or just the initial detent? Some people put a little graphite on the ball bearing detent via a pencil.

If the action overall is "heavy" the pivot seems a logical step.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Para2 is very sensitive to changes in how tight the stop pin screws are. Small adjustments can make a big difference in whether the blade swings freely or is almost impossible to pivot. Because of warranty issues I can't suggest that you experiment with that, but I will tell you that I've had to tweak a few of mine. ;)