A Superfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
darkstar29

A Superfly

Post by darkstar29 »

I would be interested in a larger version of the dragonfly..maybe 15-20%? Maybe a bit more?
The Dragonfly is a great little-big knife. I use it everyday..even on tasks more suited to a larger blade/handle. It would be nice to have one a tad bigger, though.
The Superfly would be a great medium-big knife :) IMO, of course. Any thoughts?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I really like it :) . Would be cool to have a FRN Caly jr'ish knife again. Keeping it 2.5mm thick would make for a great slicer too.
Thevenin

Post by Thevenin »

I thought of this couple of times, I totally agree. The proportions and the form of the knife is just great and a slightly super version would fire awesome. :D

Naming is good too :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Superfly!
I'm your mama, I'm your daddy, your knife dealer in the alley.
XHP, Super Blue, Caly 3, Para 2... I'm your pusherman!

:D
:bug-red-white
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I would love to see this knife slightly larger as well.

Maybe SpyderFly?
Horsefly, IDK
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

gbelleh wrote:Superfly!
I'm your mama, I'm your daddy, your knife dealer in the alley.
XHP, Super Blue, Caly 3, Para 2... I'm your pusherman!

:D
Good stuff! You got a demo? Send me a copy :D

Of course a larger version would 'require' ;) some heavier duty steel.. :p
Hmm, names? :confused: ..
dragonwing
man-fly (stealing from the man bug)
I'll think of more..
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not really. The Dragonfly handle never worked well for me and I don't think making it larger would help. The Chaparral, or a Kopa, would be my choices for something a bit larger.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

I can somewhat agree with the handle being iffy, Deacon. In fact, I didn't care for it one bit 5yrs ago. I bought it on a whim because of the handles cool web etching, and figured it would be another 'buy it and forget it' type of knives.. But, once I got used to it, my original misgivings were replaced by 'I love this thing!'
Granted, if you need a work-horse, get something else. I'm not asking/hoping for a beast of a knife..just a handle that all my fingers can grasp.. Maybe some jimping as well.
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

The Deacon wrote:Not really. The Dragonfly handle never worked well for me and I don't think making it larger would help. The Chaparral, or a Kopa, would be my choices for something a bit larger.
Agree with The Deacon. I don't have that large hands but somehow I cannot get used to the Dragonfly ergonomics either. I like the overall size and the fact that it's so lightweight (FRN version at least) and I totally dig the finger choil. But somehow it doesn't come together for me. The Squeak on the other hand works perfectly fine for me even though it's also a very small knife.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Can't help but think there are already models that fit this criteria. At ~20% the Delica comes to mind, or for a smaller blade and larger handle the Urban.
Attachments
size comparison.jpg
size comparison.jpg (95.95 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

@dbcad: FRN scales don't appeal to me. At all. For anything. Never will. Period.
Do those come in ss or g10?.. That are still in production?
I've always avoided those models due to the FRN scales. If they are still in production with ss or g10, I'll check em out...but I still want a bigger dragonfly :p
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I hear you Darkstar :) Some folks aren't partial to FRN. You should be able to get a Delica with SS scales. I believe that a G-10 version has existed in the past. I'll give you a comparison of D'Fly vs Urban :)
Attachments
dragonfly2 and Urban.jpg
dragonfly2 and Urban.jpg (60.54 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
Charlie

darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

The Urbans don't lock, though..right? It's part of the Slip-it line? I love the look of those blades, but can't have an edc that doesn't lock.. A non-locking folder is not what I'm looking for.. And that's a bummer because some of those pen knifes are slick..
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Just trying to help Darkstar :) Spyderco has a large product line :)

Have to add, the Urban is one very solid knife :D
Charlie

nakahoshi

Post by nakahoshi »

The Deacon wrote:Not really. The Dragonfly handle never worked well for me and I don't think making it larger would help. The Chaparral, or a Kopa, would be my choices for something a bit larger.
The Dragonfly never worked for me either, It looks cool but the ergonomics never felt right. I had the G10 version but I sold it.

-Bobby
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I think a Delica with a finger choil and a spine swedge would fit this bill nicely. This is exactly what I thought when I got a Dragonfly, "they should add a choil and a swedge to the Delica". That'd be sick!!
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

darkstar29 wrote:@dbcad: FRN scales don't appeal to me. At all. For anything. Never will. Period.
Do those come in ss or g10?.. That are still in production?
I've always avoided those models due to the FRN scales. If they are still in production with ss or g10, I'll check em out...but I still want a bigger dragonfly :p
The Delica, the Dragonfly and the Ladybug all come at least in SS. The Dragonfly G-10 is still available but the list price is ridiculous for such as small knife, IMO.

As for the Urban, I've got the UK PK in G-10 and it's one sturdy knife. I'm under carrying restrictions here though which means I totally dig the slipits. If you're looking for something the size of the Urban check out the Cat. Slightly larger than the D'fly, G-10 scales, locking. Steel isn't VG-10 of course but the list price isn't even half of the G-10 D'fly.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Enkidude wrote:I think a Delica with a finger choil and a spine swedge would fit this bill nicely. This is exactly what I thought when I got a Dragonfly, "they should add a choil and a swedge to the Delica". That'd be sick!!
+1 Totally! I thought the same when I got my Byrd Meadowlark. The finger choil is great and it would make the Delica an even more awesome knife. I'm indifferent about the swedge but it sure looks cool on the D'fly.

Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

enkidude wrote:i think a delica with a finger choil and a spine swedge would fit this bill nicely. This is exactly what i thought when i got a dragonfly, "they should add a choil and a swedge to the delica". That'd be sick!!
+100,000
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I'm with darkstar; no FRN and no slip-its. I have a couple slipits and they will probably see little to no use. Maybe as a letter opener. I have thought about SS, but I work in the dirt and they will get scratched up to all H**l, along with no grip at all