Military lock question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Allen R.

Military lock question

Post by Allen R. »

I got my first Military for Christmas and I haven't used it , Just been playing with it constantly. Well the lock-up on the liner lock is Around the 50% mark already it was about 25% I'd say brand new. So in a weeks time its traveled to 50% is this normal? Might be a dumb question i just love this knife and want to make sure its normal or not
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

bump
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Don't worry about it. When I got my then new orange millie, I showed it to a friend. The mofo tried to release the lock by pushing really hard in the wrong direction. I didn't notice it then but when I got home, the lockup had moved from about 30 percent to 50 percent. If I had noticed right off, there wudda been blood and teeth on the floor. Anyway, I used that orange millie a lot and the lockup hasn't budged from that 50 percent.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

On my XHP Milli I'm at about 40% and my black on black Milli I'm at about 25%. Sorry, I haven't looked to see if there has been any change since I 1st got either of them. I'd say if you are at the 50% mark you in no way have a prolem. However, if this movement you mentioned increases and becomes a problem for you, I've no doubt that Spyderco will consider it a warranty issue and square you away.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

There are those who prefer the lockup to be at around the 50% mark to ensure good blade security.

I believe for Chris Reeve Knives that a lockup between 50% and 75% for the Sebenza is considered where it needs to be.

Hope that helps.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

awesome thanks for the replies. It's been along time since I carried a liner lock.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Generally I don't worry unless it's well over half. Occasionally a steady hand-torque test for self confidence. I couldn't defeat a Cricket which was 100% over so I dunno.

Good question. Always good to be concerned. Probably will never see one fail though as out of all the lock threads we have very few (none I recall) who had lock failures and injuries.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:Generally I don't worry unless it's well over half. Occasionally a steady hand-torque test for self confidence. I couldn't defeat a Cricket which was 100% over so I dunno.

Good question. Always good to be concerned. Probably will never see one fail though as out of all the lock threads we have very few (none I recall) who had lock failures and injuries.
I'd say it's harder to make a 100 percent engagement fail than a 20 percent one. Wear is probably the issue with a 100 percent lock up. No further allowance for wear, rather.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Good info here for me too. I decided to drop my fears of the liner lock and invest on a Millie this year.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KardinalSyn wrote:Good info here for me too. I decided to drop my fears of the liner lock and invest on a Millie this year.
Good decision. I like my millies. :D