Ruined edge = ruined day

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

did you fix your edge?
Spydies: edc forum manix 2
stag arms manix 2, endura 4,delica 4, ffg e4, para 2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

knife nut404 wrote:did you fix your edge?

Yep, first thing this morning. I can't stand walking around with a ragged edge. The rolling was bad enough it may as well have been chipping..there was no straightening it back out (not that i know how to do anyway). It took a little work with a diamond stone but all is well now.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

can you take a pic please.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

knife nut404 wrote:can you take a pic please.
Sure, here's the setup just for you :D

No close ups on the bevel, because i came to the conclusion that fully polished bevels are for showing off. So, i use my fine diamond to profile the bevel to where i want it, then i use my 1000 and 2000 grit stones to polish out the very edge (just a bit more than a micro bevel). This gives me the benefits of a finely polished edge without as much work.
~David
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

what sharping set up is that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

knife nut404 wrote:what sharping set up is that.
It's a Lansky. The yellow (1000 grit) and blue (2000 grit) stones are sold separately but are worth buying. The other stone is a fine diamond stone. I bought their diamond stone kit for reprofiling and then bought the yellow and blue separately for the final touch.
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:
No close ups on the bevel, because i came to the conclusion that fully polished bevels are for showing off. So, i use my fine diamond to profile the bevel to where i want it, then i use my 1000 and 2000 grit stones to polish out the very edge (just a bit more than a micro bevel). This gives me the benefits of a finely polished edge without as much work.
Nah, I'm betting it's just too hard for you to do. :p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Nah, I'm betting it's just too hard for you to do. :p
Well, with the stones i have now it isn't easy that's for sure lol. The issue i have with going through all that work is like this thread, i get it nice and polished and thing wreck it in one day. I think maybe it's just my lazy side coming out lol.
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:Well, with the stones i have now it isn't easy that's for sure lol. The issue i have with going through all that work is like this thread, i get it nice and polished and thing wreck it in one day. I think maybe it's just my lazy side coming out lol.
Yeh, it is a personal preference. ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I plan on getting an Edge Pro in about a month so we'll see how that goes. If it's that much easier to polish out the whole bevel then i may change my tune. For now i'm more into form following function. About 1/32-1/6 of the leading edge of the bevel is just about mirror polished.
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:I plan on getting an Edge Pro in about a month so we'll see how that goes. If it's that much easier to polish out the whole bevel then i may change my tune. For now i'm more into form following function. About 1/32-1/6 of the leading edge of the bevel is just about mirror polished.
Yup, nothing wrong with that. Polished also makes it easier to see imperfections in the edge. Also, it's my OCD showing it's ugly head. :D

If I had to cut a lot of abrasive material often, I'd probably change my tune. ;)
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

Funny story, couple of co workers of mine watched a well known dvd another knife company makes. Since watching the video 5-6 guys now carry this type of knife,I've tried to tell them a thing or 2 about knives but they're the types of guys who know everything. We were all sitting around in break room and guy was fondling his knife, well other guy had a can of tuna. For my own entertainment i said ,"hey if that knife can stab through a car hood no tellin what itll do to that can of tuna". Well guy gave up his tuna for the sake of expirements and buddy stabs the can and began to cut it open . (might i add the knife was brand new not a scratch on it).When he got done there was barely any teflon on the blade and I've never seen an edge so twisted and chipped in my life. I just grinned and said, "I told you you shoulda bought a spyderco". TRUE STORY
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

Allen R. wrote:Funny story, couple of co workers of mine watched a well known dvd another knife company makes. Since watching the video 5-6 guys now carry this type of knife,I've tried to tell them a thing or 2 about knives but they're the types of guys who know everything. We were all sitting around in break room and guy was fondling his knife, well other guy had a can of tuna. For my own entertainment i said ,"hey if that knife can stab through a car hood no tellin what itll do to that can of tuna". Well guy gave up his tuna for the sake of expirements and buddy stabs the can and began to cut it open . (might i add the knife was brand new not a scratch on it).When he got done there was barely any teflon on the blade and I've never seen an edge so twisted and chipped in my life. I just grinned and said, "I told you you shoulda bought a spyderco". TRUE STORY
and what did he say to that :D
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Allen R. wrote:Funny story, couple of co workers of mine watched a well known dvd another knife company makes. Since watching the video 5-6 guys now carry this type of knife,I've tried to tell them a thing or 2 about knives but they're the types of guys who know everything. We were all sitting around in break room and guy was fondling his knife, well other guy had a can of tuna. For my own entertainment i said ,"hey if that knife can stab through a car hood no tellin what itll do to that can of tuna". Well guy gave up his tuna for the sake of expirements and buddy stabs the can and began to cut it open . (might i add the knife was brand new not a scratch on it).When he got done there was barely any teflon on the blade and I've never seen an edge so twisted and chipped in my life. I just grinned and said, "I told you you shoulda bought a spyderco". TRUE STORY
I wonder how your spydie would have fared compared to that AUS-8, against the can. ;)
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

Cool story bro. Is the name of that particular company cold steel? :) Yeah they exagerate in their vids. I own a kukri sm3 and one day i wanted to test it like in their publicity vid... I chipped that knife really bad and the tip was gone. I'm not going to say it's a bad knife, because i repaired it and it perform great if used moderatly. It can't do those things that are shown in the vid without being damaged really bad.
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

The guy is a real know it all kinda guy I knew what it was gonna do to his knife just needed a laugh. He didnt say a word after i told him he should of went spyderco. I did however offer to give him my old beat up endura just to try, told him i would give it to him and he still said no. Hes got issues, **** his parents named him bubba
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Sounds like he needs a banjo more than a Spyderco. :p
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

FYI this thread is a few weeks old, but I'm proud to say I took my 154cm manix 2 to work this week I was a little nervous but at 70 bucks I was ok if i ruined the knife i just got the XL manix anyway and want a new s30v manix 2, anyway I strolled in the break room I must say I had a very confident walk, pulled out the manix 2 then pulled out a can of pork and beans from my lunch box, slammed it down in front of the other knife companies fanboys, stabbed it in the middle an cut an x shape in the lid, pulled the knife out wiped it off and passed the knife around. It was dull but she was intact. I made a few people say wtf and a few more say "you said Spyderco right?" Where did you buy them at? So I converted a few others this week. I'm not telling anyone to abuse their knife and this is the first time I've done anything like this. I was just willing to sacrifice one of mine to either convert a few others to my favorite knives, and shut a few mouths in the process. I accomplished both
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Man, I hear ya! I hate flat-ending a nice sharp edge.

I did that with a Boker stockman style pocket knife. Such knives don't come with a blade stop as :spyder: s do, so the main blade slips from my fingers and over-travels its stopping point into the back spring. :eek: :mad:

I had to pull out my Spyderco Sharpmaker and put the Spyderco Diamond Triangle Stones to use just to get rid of that shiny flat spot before the Brown and White Triangle Stones could do any good.

Flat spots on the blade's edge suck!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!