Thoughts on the Super Blue Caly 3.5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
syphen

Post by syphen »

strad wrote:Then why don't my other two lock back Caly's do the same thing? :D
That's why I said post a video :D
Too many Spydies to list!
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

syphen wrote:Vertical play can happen and does happen in ANY mid/back lock knife. What is normally happening is the entire lockbar and blade are moving as one. The whole assembly can move up and down with only the lockbar spring acting as a force against it. When using the blade as a lever you can overcome the spring force and there is your vertical play.

Post a video and show the play!

To the original topic, I love my Super Blue 3.5. Its a great knife, gets scary sharp with easy and looks fantastic. I like it so much I have 2.
I just sent one to Golden for observation as it has developed a good amount of vertical blade play. My other lock backs didn't have nearly as much as the SB Caly did, so I doubt it is normal.
strad

Post by strad »

Thanks PanChango for chiming in. My thoughts exactly.
If it's this loose new that doesn't bode well for how it will hold up
with everyday use.
syphen

Post by syphen »

PanChango wrote:I just sent one to Golden for observation as it has developed a good amount of vertical blade play. My other lock backs didn't have nearly as much as the SB Caly did, so I doubt it is normal.
I agree, at no point have I not. If there is excessive play then either the locking bar or the "tang" of the blade may have been finished incorrectly. I have 2x SB 3.5's, and 2 Caly 3's (G10 and CF/ZDP). Non of mine have excessive blade play in the vertical fashion beyond over coming the lockbar spring, which I mentioned is expected. I just threw that comment out there because in the past some people have thought this to not be "normal" despite it being a part of mid and back lock designs.

Anyways, I said post a video to show people what you consider excessive and as a good comparison to other owners of the same knife. I was not trying to be a smart ***.
Too many Spydies to list!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Some lockbacks have slight vertical play, some it's not noticeable. The only place that can determine what is "normal" is Spyderco.

In my understanding almost all cases are within spec. Otherwise there would be quite a few unsafe knives as its one of the lockbacks known nuances.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Sequimite wrote:I've been using mine every day since it became available. (4 months?) I was starting to think SB doesn't rust or pit as I haven't oiled the blade since receiving it, have often left it damp and have experienced nothing aside from the patina. Even stainless will eventually pit if abused so I'll take this warning and be more careful in the future.
I've carried mine daily for as long as you, since I first got it. The only difference is that I forced a patina with vinegar. It still has that patina and a few darker spots here and there from cutting fruits, but there's no pitting at all.

I've purposely not oiled the blade aside from a few drops around the pivot after a cleaning to see how the patina would perform. And I do try and wipe the blade dry after it gets wet but other than that, I use it just like I use my stainless steel bladed folders.

It takes a fine edge and cuts pretty aggressively. Also it has one of the thinnest edges I've gotten from Spyderco.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I have not let loose the SB Caly3.5 on anything other than food and a few pieces of paper. I don't wanna try anything more yet, not until my sharpmaker arrives. I like the fact that the knife is very discreet. Must be the grey handle and that patina.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.