Spyderco Walker Lightweight.. Custom Handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Waffle

Spyderco Walker Lightweight.. Custom Handles

Post by Waffle »

Hey guys, first off, this is relating to A particular Spyderco model, so I hope it's in the right location.

Anyway, I have a Michael Walker Lightweight and was wondering if anyone knows how I can disassemble it and possibly make some custom handles! I'm not sure what material for the handles yet. Any ideas?!? Tips/pointers?! Will likely do this by hand. :D
[Waffle]

This world is made of.. Love and Peace
butch

Post by butch »

the "button" over where the pivot is can be popped off but they are not screw constructed so you woud lhave ot drill out the pivot and then make a screw pivot or make a new peenable pivot rod
that goed the same for all the peened pins on the lightweight
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

butch wrote:the "button" over where the pivot is can be popped off but they are not screw constructed so you woud lhave ot drill out the pivot and then make a screw pivot or make a new peenable pivot rod
that goed the same for all the peened pins on the lightweight
I would prefer screws over pins! I'll actually be in Utah in a few weeks.. Maybe I can find something for the handle material out there! Thanks butch! Just popped the button off.. I see it.
[Waffle]

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Quite an undertaking. In addition to what Butch mentioned, the C37 Walker has a nested locking liner, so you'll have to mill out the new scale to accept it. You'll also have to decide if you want to fabricate a backstrap to duplicate the original closed back look, or go with stand-offs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

The Deacon wrote:Quite an undertaking. In addition to what Butch mentioned, the C37 Walker has a nested locking liner, so you'll have to mill out the new scale to accept it. You'll also have to decide if you want to fabricate a backstrap to duplicate the original closed back look, or go with stand-offs.
Very interesting. Yes, it is looking to be a larger project than I had initially thought; still, I would like to accomplish this and share the final result. I am very amateur, but I believe I can do it.

With the locking liner being nested, is it fixed with the pins on the perimeter of the knife? Or is there some kind of adhesive? I can't tell without disassembling it. I do like the look of the newer sprint run carbon fiber walker, those are the stand-offs or spacers that you're referring to, right?
[Waffle]

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Waffle,

Unless you are a knifemaker, it would not be a good project. Considering how it's made, even a custom maker would have difficulties. Tolerances are very tight.

sal
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

sal wrote:Hi Waffle,

Unless you are a knifemaker, it would not be a good project. Considering how it's made, even a custom maker would have difficulties. Tolerances are very tight.

sal
Hmmm.. well, that's a bummer! How about you guys do a special sprint C22 Walker?! Yes, ANOTHER one!!!!!!!! ;)
[Waffle]

INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I'm down for a new sprint. I want the latest version but only 1 place has 1 or 2 left. Tried to get them to cut me a deal but no luck. Might have to pay full retail, that'll be a first
butch

Post by butch »

jsut came back to say that it would be jsut abut easyer to jsut trace and make from sccratch a new "walker"

BTW what option was on your mind for the scales i love the walker shape
a step forward
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

butch wrote:jsut came back to say that it would be jsut abut easyer to jsut trace and make from sccratch a new "walker"

BTW what option was on your mind for the scales i love the walker shape
Well, as far as scales.. I was thinking something clean and elegant. I probably wouldn't carry the piece, just admire, so the durability wouldn't matter TOO much. I was planning on narrowing it down based on what would be an easier material to work with. Possibly wood, stone? I understand it's a lot of work, but I'm interested in the challenge.
[Waffle]

sal

Post by sal »

We were thinking of a sprint with Nishijin carbon fiber. We can also do Aluminum or G-10.

sal
butch

Post by butch »

Sal this is one of the times a custom shop would be great but i know how that all works from other threads
i woudl think that with CNC micro runs of 10-20 could be done by one worker and kept at ultra rare (for production) but under a full on custom price range due to you having the codes to at least get the parts to the hand fittign stage
a step forward
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

sal wrote:We were thinking of a sprint with Nishijin carbon fiber. We can also do Aluminum or G-10.

sal
Sal, don't tease me! ;) I would love to see aluminum, G-10 AND Nishijin Carbon Fiber!!!!! Any Walker sprints are a must have, I've unfortunately missed out on the previous releases.. better late than never. A Worker would be neat too.

Heck I'll go work for you and you can just pay me in a Walker Sprint! Sounds reasonable! :D Thanks for your input, Sal.. And everyone else.
[Waffle]

INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Waffle wrote:Sal, don't tease me! ;) I would love to see aluminum, G-10 AND Nishijin Carbon Fiber!!!!! Any Walker sprints are a must have, I've unfortunately missed out on the previous releases.. better late than never. A Worker would be neat too.

Heck I'll go work for you and you can just pay me in a Walker Sprint! Sounds reasonable! :D Thanks for your input, Sal.. And everyone else.
+1. I prefer G-10 or even something with wood, jigged bone, but I would be happy with anything.
The CF Michael walker is the next knife at the top of my list and I am getting ready to pull the trigger . Its the $180 price tag that is fighting me
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

INFRNL wrote:+1. I prefer G-10 or even something with wood, jigged bone, but I would be happy with anything.
The CF Michael walker is the next knife at the top of my list and I am getting ready to pull the trigger . Its the $180 price tag that is fighting me
Yes, ANYTHING!! Another Almite, maybe a different color? Micarta? Wood epoxy laminate?!? Heck, I'm open for anything.

$180... It's a lot, but you'll only have to spend it once and you'll have a beautiful knife in your possession!!!!!! I say pull the trigger and don't look back. :D :spyder: :D
[Waffle]

INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I did it, pulled the trigger. I love this knife, but would like to see a few changes.

I am thinking I am not the biggest fan of buffed CF. at an angle it looks great, but at certain angles it looks like it has that clear protective coating thats supposed to be peeled off.
I would like to see nice textured scales of some sort as weve mentioned. Just about any nice material other than CF on the next one please ;)
I think i would also like to see a little jimping on the spine.
A newly designed clip thats deep pocket but not the wire style.
Lastly, as much as ZDP is liked, could we possibly do something slightly higher end? 20CP, 204P, M390, M4 would also be cool, but not necessarily higher end.I would just like to have a different steel so the 2 would not be so similar :)
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I love the MW. I think that it is one of the more unique designs that is great looking and very functional. I have the CF and Almite versions (would love a lightweight one....) and I am really really looking forward to a new sprint! But some of the things you want, just aren't going to happen. It is a Japanese made knife, so Japanese steels only. So far that leaves us with VG-10, ZDP, Super Blue. I'm sure that there are other steels in Japan, but how many are good for a knife and cost effective...I dunno.
The scales, that is how they are done, and I like the look of the Nishijin scales, and would be more than happy with that.

Please Sal, no G1o, unless it was polished. I think that this is a nice classy knife that should stay that way.

Jimping on the spine, more work, higher cost, not sure that it would be worth it on such a small and purposely designed gentleman's folder.
My personal opinion...is no clip at all. But, most do like a clip...so I would agree that this one isn't the best. But with the design of the knife, it probably can't really be changed too much without huge design processes that will long delay any progress in getting this knife out. So I say lets leave it how it is.

Super Blue and Nishijin would be pretty awesome I think!!! Then do the clip in the same finish as is on the GB...god that would be one pretty knife!

Sal....whatever steel you use (and something new and even more awesome than ZDP would be cool) please please please use the Nishijin and that almost grey anodized looking clip!!
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I guess since we are limited I would agree on the Super Blue. I have not seen Nishijin in person. I agree no G-10 unless its a unique smoother finish. It might be nishijin as sal mentioned earlier. I could go with SB and Nishijin, until I learn more about fine materials.
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Dferg10

Post by Dferg10 »

CF- I will take two.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

INFRNL wrote:I guess since we are limited I would agree on the Super Blue. I have not seen Nishijin in person. I agree no G-10 unless its a unique smoother finish. It might be nishijin as sal mentioned earlier. I could go with SB and Nishijin, until I learn more about fine materials.
I kind of like the Nishijin, I know that some aren't so fond of it, but I like that it has almost a 3D effect to it. http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecent ... 67GRPa.jpg