The sharpmaker and scissors?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShawnKirkpatrick

The sharpmaker and scissors?

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

I have tried and tried to sharpen scissors and just can't seem to get them sharp with the sharpmaker. Is there any pointers anybody could give me on how they get there's sharp?
Slash

Post by Slash »

ShawnKirkpatrick wrote:I have tried and tried to sharpen scissors and just can't seem to get them sharp with the sharpmaker. Is there any pointers anybody could give me on how they get there's sharp?
Did you get a burr?
Jonwes

Post by Jonwes »

Sharpmaker should do the trick - just make sure you're not shapening the flat side of the blade of course.

I'd use some method to knock off the burrs that form, like dragging the edge over a soft piece of wood since you can't sand them off without touching the flat side...
ShawnKirkpatrick

Yeah, I got a burr. And took Sal's method of taking off the burr with the stone.
Slash wrote:Did you get a burr?
Jonwes

Post by Jonwes »

Could you explain what his method is using the stone?

Sorry I'm new here :)
Slash

Post by Slash »

Would need more info. what type scissors, etc.

Try looking at them to see if the blades are even touching each other when you cut. Sometimes they can get out of wack and need some tweaking done on them.
ShawnKirkpatrick

You just put the stone on the back of the blade of the scissor (not the angled part) and just rub it down the length of the blade.
Jonwes wrote:Could you explain what his method is using the stone?

Sorry I'm new here :)
Jonwes

Post by Jonwes »

All I can think of is either you are taking too much material off when you knock off the burr with that method or your scissors are a bit out of wack like Slash suggested...
ShawnKirkpatrick

I feel stupid about asking this question, I looked at the scissors and they where WAY out of shape, so I sharpened another pair and BOOM... would cut something before they even touched it. Thank y'all for the help!
Jonwes

Post by Jonwes »

Cool! :)