The sharpmaker hurt my mom!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShawnKirkpatrick

The sharpmaker hurt my mom!!

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

Today we cooked a turkey we bought for Christmas, after it was done cooking I went to carve it with a kitchen knife and it was dull!! So I went and got the sharpmaker from my room and sharpened that thing pretty good (Good enough for my ability anyway.... It shaved hair) and carved the turkey. After I was done I just put the knife down in the sink full of water because I had grease all over my hands, A couple of minutes after my mom went to go was up some dishes and while scrubbing pretty hard she found the the knife.... The wrong way :eek: !! That thing laid her finger open!! She was pouring blood, And felt sick after and was shaking. After me, my brother, and my grandma convincing her to go to the hospital and me offering to drive (Since it was my fault) We went to leave. About half way there she just told me to turn around and go home, she didn't want to sit at the ER all night. So we went home and just put some band-aids on it and finally got it to quite. I felt very bad afterwards and now I know, DON'T PUT THE KNIFE IT THE WATER. But anyway, I have probably bored y'all to death haha. Goodnight. Oh and I'm not blaming the sharpmaker or spyderco. It was my fault and I take full responsibility.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Wow! Sorry to hear :( .
ShawnKirkpatrick

Well.. i shouldnt have put the knife down it dirty water, or even blade up for that matter. :o
Blerv wrote:Wow! Sorry to hear :( .
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Most of us learn valuable lessons early on about the handling of knives. A sharp knife is a safe knife, but that adage applies to use, not cleaning/fiddling with them.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Ouch, that sucks!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Slash

Post by Slash »

Your Mom still needs to get a tetanus shot just to be safe. Unless she had one within the last 10 years.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Hope she heals up quick! I've always made it a point to let people know that when I sharpen their knives for them, the knife will be much sharper than they are used to and that they should exercise caution. Seems that when knives get dull, we tend to get lax in our safety precautions (tossing them in a sink for instance) and forget to re-adjust when the knives get sharp again. I cut myself pretty bad as a teenager (I learned my lesson the hard way, just like you and your mom) and I get the shivers just thinking about your mom's cut. Thanks for sharing your story, as maybe it will help someone else avoid having a similar experience.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Dude! I hope your mom will heal well, I'm sorry about this.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Sorry to hear about your Mom, hope she heels quickly. On the bright side, it looks like you have the sharpmaker skills down.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

jabba359 wrote:Hope she heals up quick! I've always made it a point to let people know that when I sharpen their knives for them, the knife will be much sharper than they are used to and that they should exercise caution. Seems that when knives get dull, we tend to get lax in our safety precautions (tossing them in a sink for instance) and forget to re-adjust when the knives get sharp again.
Cleaning a really sharp knife causes alarm bells in my head :o

I do the same Jabba whenever I sharpen another persons knife. It seems most folks are unaware of how really sharp we can get these things :eek:

Hope your mom is doing well Shawn :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dbcad wrote:Cleaning a really sharp knife causes alarm bells in my head :o

I do the same Jabba whenever I sharpen another persons knife. It seems most folks are unaware of how really sharp we can get these things :eek:

Hope your mom is doing well Shawn :)

When I sharpen for someone who I know is not aware of what sharp edges can do, I just sharpen to barely paper cutting.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Shawn, please give your Mom our best wishes. I hope she heals well and soon :)

This is another good thread :) It heightens awareness and conveys the respect that should be given to a very sharp edge :)

I hear where you're coming from Chuck. I wouldn't get anything really sharp for an individual that won't give the edge the respect it deserves. One bad mistake with a very sharp knife will cut to the bone :eek:

Like others have said we all learn over time :) My big wake up moment was when I accidentally laid open a fellow campers hand when I was 14 or so. The chagrin I felt at that moment and the guilt I felt affect the way I handle these edges now when I can once again get a very nice edge.

I think we all agree that a very sharp edge deserves respect :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
ShawnKirkpatrick

Thank you for the kind words everybody! I'm pretty sure her finger will really be sore today. But I hope this topic does help prevent someone else from get hurt... Maybe even worse than my mom.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Sorry to hear about that. Glad she is OK now.

May I suggest beefing up your home first aid kit(FAK)? Keep things like cold compresses, wrapping gauze, 2x2's and 4x4's, medical tape and just some more things to cover a better range of common incidents.

Although a home FAK is no match for the ER, it can provide a nice sense of security knowing you have some basic skills to treat certain things.

I recall seeing a 10$ FAK at Walmart from Johnson and Johnson. It includes everything mentioned above and more. One of those things that is "good to have".
Come Join Us Click Here
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

Wow! I have the same story just about except mine was with my wife, and she cut her finger down to the knuckle. She had asked me to sharpen all her kitchen knives and i told her i would but I didnt think it was a good idea to put the type of edge on them that i put on my knives. Well she insisted saying that nothing was worse than a dull knife, and even said "i heard it was better to get cut with a sharp knife anyway". After she sliced her knuckle to the joint and finished cursing the knife and the sharpmaker, she told me to never ever sharpen her knives again.
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Glad your mom is ok.

Yeah, there's a big difference between the knives most people use, and a "sharp" knife.

My wife is scared to use sharp knives. So she uses old, dull steak knives to cook, while the nice sharp kitchen knives sit in the block. She also uses keys to open packages, while her Ladybug sits in her purse still unused.
:bug-red-white
BAL

Post by BAL »

My wife won't let me touch any of her knives, she said that she don't want them that sharp. She does have a green Delica that is pretty nasty, but she saves it back as a SD knife.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Funny but true story about my own mother. She is afraid of knives, especially sharp ones. Even though I have told her how much more dangerous a DULL knife can be. This is a woman who has a her CCW, carries regularly and shoots competitive pistol matches. :D
Taonari

Post by Taonari »

Sorry to hear that man. Having a decent first aid kit at home can save you time and money, like the others have said.
Donut

Post by Donut »

It is a shame for a sharpener to sharpen and for a knife to cut. I agree with not putting a sharp knife in water, you might also want to warn someone when you sharpen a knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!