Why is FFG so much better,or more desirable,than sabre/hollow grind?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The GB is a pretty high hollow grind, so it may be less of an issue. My old manix 2 did it a lot. My Centofante 4 doesnt at all but its a pretty thin blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JB3

Post by JB3 »

Hollows are easier to get clean looking grind lines on during the making (using jigs) , and they slice well on shorter shallower pieces ..
FFG's are have less drag/more control, and can make thinner slices when batoning/push cutting logs , sticks, cardboard and plastic. IMHO
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

There is a book "Encyclopedia of Knives" or something like that, don't have it with me that discuss the difference between the grinds. It is a good reference. Each grind has its pro's and cons the same as steel. The hollow grind is not easier or harder to produce while grinding, nor a ffg. The hardest grind I have tried is when I was with a custom maker a week ago. It is similar to what S.W Smith does on his knives. It is all about technique and your equipment to get the grind right. "All good, just different" comes to mind
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

If you're cutting wood, go for a Scandi grind. The Bushcraft excels at this :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Delica is such a great all around knife, but the FFG ruined it. It's too fragile - just look at it from the top. :( I'm in the minority here, but I want a bit stronger blade - the saber is a bit too low of a grind, so how about a high flat grind like the older models?

- best wishes, Jazz.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Simple high school physics. Work (cutting in this case) is exponentially easier with a much lower incline (FFG blade) involved. Now, go drink your **** FFG Kool-Aid.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

enduraguy wrote:Simple high school physics. Work (cutting in this case) is exponentially easier with a much lower incline (FFG blade) involved. Now, go drink your **** FFG Kool-Aid.
Except that given a proper comparison the FFG will have a steeper edge incline For at least a quarter of the way. Considering many cuts are accomplished without ever needing more than than the first 1mm, FFG is often just Kool-Aid.

The FFG fanboys have ruined some knives like the Chinook3 (mostly the thick or narrow ones). I'm so glad Michael Janich went HG on the Yo2.
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Jazz wrote:The Delica is such a great all around knife, but the FFG ruined it. It's too fragile - just look at it from the top. :( I'm in the minority).
Though I wouldn't quite call the D4 FFG "ruined", I do basically agree with you, that's why I like my D4 CE so much over my FFG D4. The blade spine is uniformly thick almost to the tip, then quickly tapers down, and this gives the knife a discernibly more substantial feel, IMO.
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think the FFG Delica gives just one more option for such a platform. Fine tips are rare and come in handy for such a knife. The sharper a knife the less pressure needed so if cared for the FFG variant is pretty robust.

Saber grind has its perks. I can't see the waved models ever going FFG.
Slash

Post by Slash »

ffg delica is great for removing splinters. that is if the tip didn't already break off.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Jazz wrote:The Delica is such a great all around knife, but the FFG ruined it. It's too fragile - just look at it from the top. :( I'm in the minority here, but I want a bit stronger blade - the saber is a bit too low of a grind, so how about a high flat grind like the older models?
Who has broken an FFG Delica, and how? Serious question. I just got a Delica4 and it's saber ground. You still have a choice.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I don't know that FFG is better than other grinds. I'm drawn to it (in PE) simply because I regard it as part of an attractive minimalist aesthetic that seems to inform a good many Spydie models.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Tips don't break themselves. Thick tips work for less empathetic people. Not intended as a slam, know yourself and pick the right product :) .
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Blerv wrote:Tips don't break themselves. Thick tips work for less empathetic people. Not intended as a slam, know yourself and pick the right product :) .
Picking the right product is our responsibility :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The argument about the tip being too fragile...again, what are you planning on doing with a Delica? You shouldn't be prying boards off your deck with a knife like this, it's not a screwdriver, so how do people break tips anyway? I've dropped knives and chipped a tiny piece off but beyond that i don't see how cutting things breaks tips. By comparison, the Caly 3/3.5 tips are much thinner and nobody seems concerned about them being too fragile, so what is it about this knife that everyone always immediately goes to the tip as being the weakness? It's less about how you use your knife and more about how you treat your knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Excellent thread, Evil D, I could of said anything better myself.

HG? Blah
Ffg? Blah
Saber? Blah
Scandi? Getting there
Convex? Ah
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Drkknight614 wrote:Excellent thread, Evil D, I could of said anything better myself.

HG? Blah
Ffg? Blah
Saber? Blah
Scandi? Getting there
Convex? Ah
I don't get it. You kudo Evil D then implicitly contradict what s/he said.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

-F1 wrote:Who has broken an FFG Delica, and how? Serious question. I just got a Delica4 and it's saber ground. You still have a choice.
Still have a choice of too thin or too thick. Needs to be right in between. Like I said, I'm in the minority on this topic. Yes, it slices great - the old models do, too, and are a lot stronger. With this thickness of blade, FFG makes it too delicate for an all around knife. I'd be all over that orange handle if... well, you know. I don't pry, but would that tip survive a serious stab (SD!)? Just saying'.

- best wishes, Jazz.
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

Im a fan of FFG mainly b/c of aesthetic purposes. Like mentioned above many times, how much are you really gonna do with a 3 maybe 3.5in or less blade. Especially for edc.

I am looking at getting an all black combo edge Endura 4 and it obviously does not have the FFG. Is this version of this knife looked at as inferior to the FFG version, or am i just not practicing what i preach, and its mainly just personal aesthetic preference?

Not trying to thread jack, just new here and trying to get some input on other Spyderco grinds. (i only have 2 spydies, Tenaious and Para 2, trying to grow my collection!!!)
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Blerv wrote:The only hollow-ground knives that steer a bit for me are serrated ones. Often that's the asymmetricial ground teeth and chisel-cut secondary bevel.
Interesting. I've never noticed this steering effect with a HG blade before, but certainly have with chisel-ground blades. In fact, I'm not going to buy any chisel ground blade that isn't ground for a rightie. It will still steer, but at least it will be pulling in a direction that allows better control of the blade.

I like HHG. I like FFG. What I don't like is the saber grind. But I buy my knives for cutting and splinter picking, not for opening paint cans. ;)

Gordon