Super Blue Caly got here!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Thanks Chuck! - that brought a smile to my face. You worked a very nice edge, as always, and the patina looks great. What did you do to force it?
Donut

Post by Donut »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Image
Quoted to bring it to the last page.

That looks nice, did you think of forcing a design on there?

It's surprising how fast it patinas, isn't it? :eek:
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

mikerestivo wrote:Thanks Chuck! - that brought a smile to my face. You worked a very nice edge, as always, and the patina looks great. What did you do to force it?
Donut wrote:Quoted to bring it to the last page.

That looks nice, did you think of forcing a design on there?

It's surprising how fast it patinas, isn't it? :eek:
Thanks guys.

I just used it to cut some carrots, potatoes, and apples. :D

I wasn't really thinking of getting a design on. I'm no good at such. It does patina fast but this steel sure is a pleasure to sharpen. As mentioned, it is reminiscent of 52100 in the edge it takes.
nightburn

Post by nightburn »

I like the natural patina you have forming. Are you going to keep that going or make it uniform?
:spyder: Kiwi 4, Jester, Ladybug, Southard, Junior, Southfork, Chaparral, SpyderSaw, CF S90V PM2, Dfly G-10, PM1 :spyder:
webmaster | sharpthings.net
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

nightburn wrote:I like the natural patina you have forming. Are you going to keep that going or make it uniform?
I'm going to let it develop naturally. :D
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Looks good and the mini pry bar makes an awesome combo!
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

flipe8 wrote:Looks good and the mini pry bar makes an awesome combo!
Thanks flipe8. And it's good to see you posting here again. :)
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Thanks flipe8. And it's good to see you posting here again. :)
I'm lurking and readin lots but not posting very much. That's probably for the best :D
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Freaking awesome edge and patina man!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Hi Chuck. I got the same knife recently.

Did you notice a strange odor coming from the SB steel? Also, when cutting apples, do you notice the transfer of metal on to the slice of apple?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
syphen

Post by syphen »

KardinalSyn wrote:Hi Chuck. I got the same knife recently.

Did you notice a strange odor coming from the SB steel? Also, when cutting apples, do you notice the transfer of metal on to the slice of apple?
Carbon steel knives will have an odor when cutting acidic foods. It is normal. It will become less distinct with time as a patina builds on the blade. Also, the metal will not transfer to the apple. Maybe some chemical by product of the reaction that creates patina, but not metal.
Just force a nice dark even patina on the knife and be done with it. SB is great!!
Too many Spydies to list!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

syphen wrote:Carbon steel knives will have an odor when cutting acidic foods. It is normal. It will become less distinct with time as a patina builds on the blade. Also, the metal will not transfer to the apple. Maybe some chemical by product of the reaction that creates patina, but not metal.
Just force a nice dark even patina on the knife and be done with it. SB is great!!
Thanks for the info. This is my first SB knife and the entire odor thing was new to me. I did apply Wasabi on the blade yesterday to force a patina in the absence of English Mustard. That worked. But apple reacts faster with the steel.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

razorsharp wrote:Freaking awesome edge and patina man!
Thanks Trav. Coming from you, that's really cool.
KardinalSyn wrote:Hi Chuck. I got the same knife recently.

syphen wrote:Carbon steel knives will have an odor when cutting acidic foods. It is normal. It will become less distinct with time as a patina builds on the blade. Also, the metal will not transfer to the apple. Maybe some chemical by product of the reaction that creates patina, but not metal.
Yes, on the odor and I don't think it's a transfer on the apple. It's probably the same oxidation that occurs on a peeled apple, only darker and faster. Probably the steel acting as a catalyst. I am probably wrong about that hehehe.
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

You are a great bunch of guys, and the knife is gorgeous like this!