Hair whittling, good or bad

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slash

Hair whittling, good or bad

Post by Slash »

I've seen videos and read people talking about "hair whittling" sharp.
I just watched the sharpmaker tutorial where Sal discussed how touching the edge of a razor knife to check for sharpness will dull the edge.

So, I figured I would ask is having a edge that sharp on your knife gives that knife a good edge or a bad one that dulls very quickly?

I personally never tested any of my blades to see if they will whittle hair or not. But, I do know I can get them pretty **** sharp and that sharpness last awhile.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I dont see how an edge not sharpened as far as it can go could be worse so I say hair splitting is better
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Splitting hair is how me and Travis test sharpness. :D
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

cough#PopHairInHalfInSomeCases#cough :p

I also test by pushcutting TP and like the 3 finger test

I think a refined edge has NO disadvantage to a semisharpened edge. I reckon its an excuse from people who cant get sharp enough :p (Im prepared to duck for that :D )
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Splitting hair is how me and Travis test sharpness. :D
+1

It's only sharp if it cuts hair.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Oh boy :) we are particular about our edges ;) It Is great fun to see how sharp you can get them :D

A hair splitting edge will not last long in the real world. As soon as the knife sees some decent use that very, very fine edge will be gone. Thats where the debate about materials comes in :eek:

It's a great test of sharpening skill :) , but has very few if any applications outside of that. I understand the compulsion to get your edges just a little bit sharper, I do the same thing. Their is a limit however to the thinness any edge can take regardless of the blade material.

Keep them sharp and enjoy it :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

way i see it, the hair splitting edge deteriorated to a working edge just like a shaving edge does. but imo, the thinner edge would dull slower
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Slash, you are doing well. Sharpness is only limited by technique and skill, both of which challenge me :o
Charlie

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

razorsharp wrote:way i see it, the hair splitting edge deteriorated to a working edge just like a shaving edge does. but imo, the thinner edge would dull slower
I agree RS. When a hair whittling edge loses sharpness, it will just become as sharp as a non-hair whittling edge.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:i agree rs. When a hair whittling edge loses sharpness, it will just become as sharp as a non-hair whittling edge.
+1
Charlie

SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I always take my edges to as sharp as possible, given the angles I feel are appropriate for different steels. It's an obsession I will admit. However, beyond that, I think putting a very sharp edge isn't the whole story. I'd suggest that ensuring the edge is as symmetrical as possible will also contribute greatly to keeping said edge as sharp as possible for as long as possible. And when it does dull, , , ,that's just another reason to hit the sharpeners again. Truly a good cycle for someone obsessed with sharpness if you ask me. ;)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SQSAR wrote:I always take my edges to as sharp as possible, given the angles I feel are appropriate for different steels. It's an obsession I will admit. However, beyond that, I think putting a very sharp edge isn't the whole story. I'd suggest that ensuring the edge is as symmetrical as possible will also contribute greatly to keeping said edge as sharp as possible for as long as possible. And when it does dull, , , ,that's just another reason to hit the sharpeners again. Truly a good cycle for someone obsessed with sharpness if you ask me. ;)
Well said.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I agree RS. When a hair whittling edge loses sharpness, it will just become as sharp as a non-hair whittling edge.
Too bad thats hard to explain to some people LOL
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

If you think about it "sharpness" is a very objective thing. How precisely do the opposite sides meet in the middle. Theoretically a zero surface area is possible at the very edge. Not quite attainable in the real world.

Forgive me for going off topic, just a little obsessed with edges :o
Charlie

razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

dbcad wrote:If you think about it "sharpness" is a very objective thing. How precisely do the opposite sides meet in the middle. Theoretically a zero surface area is possible at the very edge. Not quite attainable in the real world.

Forgive me for going off topic, just a little obsessed with edges :o
you'd fit in irc #spyderco then , hehehe (link in sig)
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

irc???
Charlie

Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Slash wrote:I've seen videos and read people talking about "hair whittling" sharp.
I just watched the sharpmaker tutorial where Sal discussed how touching the edge of a razor knife to check for sharpness will dull the edge.

So, I figured I would ask is having a edge that sharp on your knife gives that knife a good edge or a bad one that dulls very quickly?

I personally never tested any of my blades to see if they will whittle hair or not. But, I do know I can get them pretty **** sharp and that sharpness last awhile.
A hair popping edge is something you would expect out of a blade when it`s NIB, and there nice if your going to do food prep,or shave with it,but for me, as long as I have a good working edge, I`m a happy camper.It is really a matter of personal preference. Some desire a hair popping edge,and some are satisfied with with just a good working edge, like me.I personally feel that a "hair popping edge is harder to maintain,than just a working edge.I`m sure there will be some here who will disagree.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dbcad wrote:irc???
Click the link in my sig.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Slash wrote: I just watched the sharpmaker tutorial where Sal discussed how touching the edge of a razor knife to check for sharpness will dull the edge.
This isn't as much the sharpness as it is the geometry. A straight razor is honed flat to the stone and it has a deep primary grind. The edge angle can be as low as 3-4 degrees per side and the bevel is easily flexed under pressure. Second to that fingers are generally not kept very clean, unlike your beard which is usually washed and lathered, usually under heat, are you likely to do that to your finger tips before you feel an edge?
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

razorsharp wrote:cough#PopHairInHalfInSomeCases#cough :p

I also test by pushcutting TP and like the 3 finger test

I think a refined edge has NO disadvantage to a semisharpened edge. I reckon its an excuse from people who cant get sharp enough :p (Im prepared to duck for that :D )
besides razors most of the working knives ,the butchers, the bakers and candle stick makers don't need to be hair splitting. They do need to be sharp but going for hair splitting wouldn't be worth the effort. I'm sure most people if given the proper tools could achieve it. I also think this is why steel junkies are after the best steels. The edge last longer so the extra effort is worth it. I personally don't shave to often but when I do I don't buy the cheapest disposable razors. Cheap steel razor sharp is still cheap steel.
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!