An amazing Christmas story...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

An amazing Christmas story...

Post by SpyderNut »

Greetings all!

I hope that you all had a wonderful and safe holiday today. Although we didn’t have any snow here in Northern Indiana for Christmas, it was still a very memorable day. I would like to take a moment to share my Christmas story with you all. I’m still not sure if I am dreaming...

Let me begin by saying that I knew all along that I would be receiving a new-in-box Centofante II for Christmas this year from my beautiful wife. (Note: The Centofante was supposed to have been my “big gift” for Christmas, but I ended up spoiling the surprise after unknowingly opening the package after I picked up the mail one day back in late September). At any rate, my wife told me that this was going to be the “only knife” that I would be receiving for Christmas because of other gifts, surprises, etc. And I was very excited and content with this plan.

Now enter Christmas morning today. After opening the only “Spyderco-shaped-box” under the tree (the Centofante II), and being extremely excited, I was in no way able to anticipate the events that unfolded next. My wife handed me a large box and said, “Well, this is something that I picked out for you to wear. If it doesn’t fit, we can take it back, etc.” I opened the box and discovered a sweater. A really nice, warm-looking sweater. However, it was not the sweater, but the small Spyderco-shaped-box under the sweater that really caught my attention. I’ll admit that I may have shrieked in surprise and elation. I ripped open the paper to discover the recently debuted Yojimbo II! After another shriek of elation, I thanked and hugged my wife. I could not believe my eyes. I had wanted a Yojimbo II ever since I saw a picture of one in one of my knife magazines. We continued to open gifts until only two medium-large boxes under the tree. My wife handed me the first one and said, “I think you’re going to like this one.” I opened the box and pulled out a wad of bubble wrap. At the bottom of the bubble wrap, there appeared a small black object. After spending several minutes unraveling the bubble wrap (confounded stuff that it is) I finally had yet another Spyderco knife drop out into my lap! I nearly passed out when I saw what it was. “It” was none other than my elusive Spyderco Unicorn…a new in box Spyderco Bob Terzuola C15!! After my heart started to beat once again in a somewhat normal rhythm, my wife calmly reminded me of a time that I had tried to purchase a C15 on e-Bay earlier this fall. She asked if I remembered losing the bid. I answered in the affirmative. “Somebody else outbid me” I replied numbly. My wife smiled and said, “Of course. That someone else was me.” I nearly wept. Suddenly, all of the gifts that I had selected for my wife appeared sorely inadequate and lame. My wife graciously reassured me that she loved my gifts and not to feel badly.
But there was still one package under the tree. I had trouble opening the last gift. For some reason, my hands would not stop shaking. I glanced over at the Yojimbo II, Centofante II, and C15 laying peacefully under the tree. I thought to myself, “What did I ever do to deserve a wife like this?” I opened the last box to find a pair of hunting boots. Nice! But then it dawned on me that these were not men’s hunting boots. Actually, they were women’s. Hmmmmmm. As I pulled the boots from the box, I stole a glance at my wife. She was grinning at me like the Cheshire Cat. My heart skipped a beat when a small white box with “Spyderco” printed on the top dropped out of the left boot and fell into my lap. My wife explained, “The first three Spyderco’s are models that I knew you wanted. This model is one that I picked out for you. You never mentioned that you wanted it or anything, but I knew you’d probably like it because it is so neat and I know you don’t have this one.” I opened the box, and there, lying on top of the blue foam, was a Spyderco Toad!

After regaining consciousness several hours later, I thanked my wife profusely and told her that this has been the best Christmas of my life! I will need to find something very special for her… Something from the 2012 Spyderco catalog.

I am sorry for rambling on about this, friends, but I just had to share my Christmas story with you all. I am charging my camera as we speak and hope to post some pictures soon.

Take care, and Merry Christmas to all!

~ Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
AfriadOfSpyders

Post by AfriadOfSpyders »

That's an amazing story! You really do have an excellent wife. I wouldn't have believed my own eyes :)
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

Very nice...I think she's a keeper! :D
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

i'd have fainted, very merry xmas indeed :)
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

SpyderNut wrote:After spending several minutes unraveling the bubble wrap....

I had trouble opening the last gift.
Why the trouble when you had so many Spydies laying around :D
ShawnKirkpatrick

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

Sounds like you have a good one!!! Be good to her, and she will be good to you!!! But it sounds like to have already been good to her!! :) glad you had a good Christmas! :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

What a great story...Glad you had what seems like to be a more than merry christmas.....Enjoy!!!!.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Did she get any spydies from santa?
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

That's a great wife you have there. Hope you treat her to a couple of romantic evenings soon.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

That is a great story and even a better Christmas. Getting what we want is always nice but the surprise makes it even better. Better yet is knowing someone cares for you enough to pay attention to what you might like.

Maybe you can do something for new year's that will surprise her. Just a thought.

Jack
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

That is a very nice story and you do have a wonderful wife and great knife,congratulations.Can`t wait to see the pictures.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Excellent! Thanks for sharing.
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

jackknifeh wrote:That is a great story and even a better Christmas. Getting what we want is always nice but the surprise makes it even better. Better yet is knowing someone cares for you enough to pay attention to what you might like.

Maybe you can do something for new year's that will surprise her. Just a thought.

Jack
+1 Especially the paying attention part. Definitely a keeper. Congrats on your best Christmas ever.
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

WOW! My pulse was pounding just reading it :eek: . You must have felt like a kid again. What thoughtful gifts, I think your reaction and appreciation of them was probably the BEST gift you could have given your wife.

Enjoy
Dan
:spyder:
Dan
sal

Post by sal »

Congrats Michael, on the wife I mean. :D

Old Spyders are cool, but a wife that loves you and knows you like she does is beyond "things". Appreciate her.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sounds like a very nice Christmas, you are very blessed.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

That is a nice Christmas.

All I gave my wife was a 3 week trip back to England to see her oldest daughter, siblings and foster parents. :)
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
G10KnifeNut

Post by G10KnifeNut »

Now that's a GREAT Christmas, man! :D My girlfriend bought me a Para Military 2 which I knew I was getting. But she said " Here, open this one. I think you'll like it!" I ripped open the box eagerly to see a macy's box which i thought was just a sweater, WRONG! :D It was a Spyderco Sharp maker!! :) I had NO IDEA she was getting this for me. And its crazy because on Christmas eve I said to myself " **** I really need a sharp maker" I was so excited and happy! This is my first PM2 and I'm IN LOVE. It's PERFECT!!! I love everything about it although its a little stiff opening :o Hope it'll smoothen/loosen up with use! Now all I need is a nice strop! :D Hmmm, where to get a nice cheap one at...
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Great story and a great wife!

Mrs SpyderNut = Trophy Wife
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Congrats on having a wife like that. Conversely, I have a wife that gives me grief every time I use my knife (usually a Stretch). It's either "Why do you have that huge knife?" or something similar. Once it was "Why do you have such a hard-on for that knife?"

You make choices. :(