Oh this ladybug? It's a tank.... In knife form!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShawnKirkpatrick

Oh this ladybug? It's a tank.... In knife form!!!

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

I got my ladybug salt 3 SE last friday afternoon and have been carrying it ever since, along with my Delica 4 FFG. And have found myself going for it more than the Delica. I don't know if it's just because it's new but this thing REALLY gets the job done!! Iv used it for everything from cutting up cardboard boxes, cutting down some small twigs and other small plants, opening bags, and boxes, its just thing perfect little knife. I am going to have to pick up a T-5 torx because I have gotten a little blade play, but thats pretty much it.... Other than the thing I already new about H-1..... It scratches pretty easy, and I put a lanyard on it to have more grip (which worked). But if your thinking about buying the ladybug go ahead, you want be sorry.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I think we have a spyderedge fan here :D
shotcaller88

Post by shotcaller88 »

Had a similar experience with my dragonfly salt SE. Very sharp out of the box.
ShawnKirkpatrick

Haha you caught me!! ;) I'm probably a bigger PE fan but SE is a great alternative, and it gets the job done pretty darn good!!
razorsharp wrote:I think we have a spyderedge fan here :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A SE Ladybug cuts like a Delica :) . Congrats on the purchase and I echo your experience.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Unfortunately, blade play and the Ladybug sort of go hand in hand...it's to be expected from such a small knife with such a thin blade with no liners. The tang is itty bitty on this little thing. The good news is, the newer versions are coming with screw pivots so at least you can tighten them back up and correct most/all of it. The first day i used my H1 SE hawkbill Ladybug it developed some gnarly blade play, but adjusting the pivot fixed it right up.

All in all though i'm a big supporter of the "everyone needs a Ladybug" fan club. My ZDP Ladybug is so useful that if i did leave the house without my primary EDC, i probably wouldn't turn around to go back and get it, since my Ladybug is always on my keys.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

ShawnKirkpatrick wrote:I got my ladybug salt 3 SE last friday afternoon and have been carrying it ever since, along with my Delica 4 FFG. And have found myself going for it more than the Delica. I don't know if it's just because it's new but this thing REALLY gets the job done!! Iv used it for everything from cutting up cardboard boxes, cutting down some small twigs and other small plants, opening bags, and boxes, its just thing perfect little knife. I am going to have to pick up a T-5 torx because I have gotten a little blade play, but thats pretty much it.... Other than the thing I already new about H-1..... It scratches pretty easy, and I put a lanyard on it to have more grip (which worked). But if your thinking about buying the ladybug go ahead, you want be sorry.
Funny thing is I gave one as a gift for Christmas yesterday. The recipient was pretty impressed himself.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Blade play is mostly an issue with torquing mid-cut. FRN ladybugs are really tough even with the flex. The sharper the knife the less it has to flex too.

My poor little ladybug has gone through ****, lol.
G10KnifeNut

Post by G10KnifeNut »

Do the serrations stay sharp for awhile?
ShawnKirkpatrick

Yeah, I got the new version with the torx screw.
Evil D wrote:Unfortunately, blade play and the Ladybug sort of go hand in hand...it's to be expected from such a small knife with such a thin blade with no liners. The tang is itty bitty on this little thing. The good news is, the newer versions are coming with screw pivots so at least you can tighten them back up and correct most/all of it. The first day i used my H1 SE hawkbill Ladybug it developed some gnarly blade play, but adjusting the pivot fixed it right up.

All in all though i'm a big supporter of the "everyone needs a Ladybug" fan club. My ZDP Ladybug is so useful that if i did leave the house without my primary EDC, i probably wouldn't turn around to go back and get it, since my Ladybug is always on my keys.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

G10KnifeNut wrote:Do the serrations stay sharp for awhile?
Sal has been quoted 100s of times saying that H1 serrations have shown the highest edge retention of any steel they've ever tested. So, on one hand i would say yes they definitely stay sharp a while, but on the other hand you need to be skilled at sharpening them yourself to fully appreciate them (as i'm not unfortunately).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ShawnKirkpatrick

Yes, It was sharp out of the box and has stayed sharp through all of what Iv used it for. :D
G10KnifeNut wrote:Do the serrations stay sharp for awhile?