How do you get sticky off of your blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShawnKirkpatrick

How do you get sticky off of your blades?

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

Hey, I was cutting up some cardboard and after I was done I noticed that there was some sticky stuff on some parts of the blade, so I went and rubbed some rubbing alcohol on it and it didn't come off! How do I get it off the blade? Thank you.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

WD-40 does a great job on tape adhesive for me.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Slash

Post by Slash »

cut more cardboard and less tape. :p

wd in good for lots of stuff. never tried goo gone on my knives. but, that's good too.
JD Spydo

91% Isopropyl Alcohol does the trick

Post by JD Spydo »

Go to your local Walgreens, CVS or whatever drug store chain you have in your neck of the woods and get some Isopropyl Alcohol ( Rubbing Alcohol). The reason I suggest to go to one of the drug store chains or just to a drug store to get the Isopropyl Alcohol is that you can get it in different strengths.

I use the 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for most of my clean up needs. Believe it or not it is a great all purpose cleaning solvent that is relatively safe to use even in indoor environments. Whether it's tape glue from scotch tape or any type of duct tape, fiberglass tape they all have a very similar adhesive and Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol with cut through just about all of them I've cleaned up.

Also 91% Isopropyl Alcohol is great for prepping items to be glued or painted as well.

Now if you've got an adhesive that the alcohol won't cut then you need to move up to acetone or Toulene>> or even laquer thinner will cut most glues and adhesives.

Also fingernail polish remover is a remarkably strong solvent as well.

But the really nice thing about Isopropyl Alcohol is that it doesn't leave any residue to speak of and it really cleans neatly
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Pinetreebbs wrote:WD-40 does a great job on tape adhesive for me.
Plus 1.

But you need detergent to wash off the WD-40 residue in case you use your knife for food.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Plus 1.

But you need detergent to wash off the WD-40 residue in case you use your knife for food.
Oh, good point, WD-40 not good for food prep. That would also apply to Goo Gone and Opps! The later can even get sharpie marker off plastic.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
nakahoshi

Post by nakahoshi »

You can try Zippo Lighter Fluid, That works great for me.

-Bobby
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Spit and blue jeans.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Leatherneck wrote:Spit and blue jeans.
Yep. I'm rarely out where i just have WD40 with me. Most of the time you can wipe it off with your fingers for the most part.

I asked in a thread a while back if DLC made it any easier to get glue off...i'd say it's about the same. If anything it's a little easier to see on DLC.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rondv

Post by rondv »

Goof off is the best adhesive remover I've found.
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

Ballistol works also
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

JD Spydo wrote:Go to your local Walgreens, CVS or whatever drug store chain you have in your neck of the woods and get some Isopropyl Alcohol ( Rubbing Alcohol). The reason I suggest to go to one of the drug store chains or just to a drug store to get the Isopropyl Alcohol is that you can get it in different strengths.

I use the 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for most of my clean up needs. Believe it or not it is a great all purpose cleaning solvent that is relatively safe to use even in indoor environments. Whether it's tape glue from scotch tape or any type of duct tape, fiberglass tape they all have a very similar adhesive and Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol with cut through just about all of them I've cleaned up.

Also 91% Isopropyl Alcohol is great for prepping items to be glued or painted as well.

Now if you've got an adhesive that the alcohol won't cut then you need to move up to acetone or Toulene>> or even laquer thinner will cut most glues and adhesives.

Also fingernail polish remover is a remarkably strong solvent as well.

But the really nice thing about Isopropyl Alcohol is that it doesn't leave any residue to speak of and it really cleans neatly
I agree completely with the rubbing alcohol.. The toluene is Nasty stuff, though..seriously.. Use gloves. don't breath it... It's similar to benzene in that it's a bio-accumulent. In other words, if you got gasoline on you when you 5yrs old, the benzene from that gas is still in you..somewhere.. Toluene is the same way.. And, like benzene, it's a carcinogen.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Wire brush and/or 80-grit sandpaper.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Paint thinner and naphtha are both pretty safe and they remove tape adhesive very effectively. Naphtha is less prone to leaving oily residue, and it also evaporates faster.

In the field I use nose oil on my finger to remove tape residue. It is always with me, and it works, albeit more slowly than thinner.
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

I use soap and water. Works like a charm.
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
whitefeather

Post by whitefeather »

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sold in most grocery stores. It's freaky how well these things work and they don't leave a nasty residue.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

Thought this thread might be related to the "fondling knife" thread. Never mind. ;)
-F1

Post by -F1 »

^ Naughty, very naughty, racer88. :)

The "magic eraser" things (regardless of brand) are abrasive; just an FYI. No idea what effect it would have on blade steel but it is basically fine sandpaper.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

-F1 wrote:Wire brush and/or 80-grit sandpaper.

The "magic eraser" things (regardless of brand) are abrasive; just an FYI. No idea what effect it would have on blade steel but it is basically fine sandpaper.
:confused:

Anyway, goo gone works well on tree sap and adhesive residues. Goo gone is not harsh on plastics like goof off and nail polish remover.

Post by 1623 »

-F1 wrote:Wire brush and/or 80-grit sandpaper.
-F1 wrote:The "magic eraser" things (regardless of brand) are abrasive; just an FYI. No idea what effect it would have on blade steel but it is basically fine sandpaper.
I'm assuming that your first comment was laced with sarcasm, otherwise, perplexing comments F1; care to elaborate?
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.