Suggestions for a portable sharpner

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DRKBC

Suggestions for a portable sharpner

Post by DRKBC »

I have a sharpmaker but I am looking for something that I can keep in my truck for quick touch ups. I saw a few different options in Spydercos Catalogue, what do you use?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Double stuff pocket stone.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

theres a mini sharpener in development. I also recommend the lansky turnbox crocksticks, short rods that fit n a small box at 40 and 50 degrees, i dont use the 50 though
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Any experience with Spyderco Golden Stone? or Duck foot Sharpener?
R.S.R

Post by R.S.R »

DRKBC wrote:I have a sharpmaker but I am looking for something that I can keep in my truck for quick touch ups. I saw a few different options in Spydercos Catalogue, what do you use?
Try the Fallkniven DC3 or DC4,small dual whet stones,diamond on one side and a fine ceramic on the other.
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Double stuff pocket stone.
+1

Have been using it for years. Great hone for keeping a blade sharp. Hair popping edges at home or on the go!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

DRKBC wrote:Any experience with Spyderco Golden Stone? or Duck foot Sharpener?
I've been wanting to try the Golden Stone, but haven't pulled the trigger due to the cost... One of these days, maybe...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Slash

Post by Slash »

Hunter honer. It's small, inexpensive, and works.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I use a diamond paddle from Lansky. 600grit. I do a lot of site work and do not get to use propper benchstones for up to 2 months. I would like something from DMT but they are hard to find al the way down here.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Taonari

Post by Taonari »

I would say Spyderco double stuff or Fallkniven DC4.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Thanks guys I think the spyderco double stuff might be the easiest one for me to get a hold of in Canada, I may give that a try. I wondered about the Gold stone as it looked like it could be a little more foolproof in terms of setting an angle. Fool proof seems to work well for me.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The best, easiest and most foolproof knife sharpener in the world is ghe Warthog Classic.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

DRKBC wrote:Thanks guys I think the spyderco double stuff might be the easiest one for me to get a hold of in Canada, I may give that a try. I wondered about the Gold stone as it looked like it could be a little more foolproof in terms of setting an angle. Fool proof seems to work well for me.
You can get the Fallkniven DC3 and 4 at Bushcraft Canada

http://www.workwearcanada.com/products/ ... roduct=166
On the hunt for...
Rhiney

Post by Rhiney »

Hey DRKBC,

Since you're in BC, you can get the doublestuff at Warriors and Wonders or the DC3 or DC4 at Bushcraft Canada, as mentioned and linked to above.

Two other portable options are a leather strop and compound from Lee Valley, or a mousepad and some wet/dry sandpaper. I get my sandpaper from K&M Tools (another good Canadian-owned store). Weirdly and against all my expectations, I now prefer sharpening with sandpaper over all my nice, expensive water stones -- so quick, lightweight and convenient!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I have the 701 profiles coming today and will go with me in the field and kept in the truck. You can always take the SM rods with you.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

.357 mag wrote:I have the 701 profiles coming today and will go with me in the field and kept in the truck. You can always take the SM rods with you.
I just got a set of 701's and agree, they are awesome on all blade lengths and shapes. They are a dream on serrations.

I'm tempted to snag a double-stuff as well.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

RanCoWeAla wrote:The best, easiest and most foolproof knife sharpener in the world is ghe Warthog Classic.
And you're gonna suggest that the OP bring that around?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:And you're gonna suggest that the OP bring that around?
Lol, I just went to the site (because I'm a n00b) and they show a hunter with it assembled next to a bagged deer. Really? :rolleyes:

How about just pre-sharpening your knife so you don't have to construct Dr. Jeckyll's lab in the middle of the snow?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The warthog looks interesting...I might have to try one of those out.

But in terms of portable...not so much.

I do like the Fallkniven because I really like diamond sharpeners. Especially if for some reason you do get a good bit of damage done to the edge.
On the hunt for...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I have a doublestuff and love it. I can't think of anything that anyone would want for regular touch ups. It is 5" long in a leather pouch. Medium grit on one side and fine grit on the other. You can get them seperately but the doublestuff has them glued together. Personally I wish they had just included both stones in the leather pouch and not glued them together but that's not a big deal. The additional cost of getting them seperately is not worth having them seperate. I will say this though. With the doublestuff I VERY SELDOM use the med. side. The fine does good for touchups since the knife shouldn't be very dull at that point but the med. is there if you need it.

The 701MF stones are also great and about necessary if you carry serrated edges a lot. However, they have been discontinues this year. You can probably find them still on reseller sites. These will do plain, serrated and recurve edges. They are 7" long I think and come in a leather pouch.

Jack