Cool Spyderco Video

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bluntrauma

Cool Spyderco Video

Post by Bluntrauma »

I may be behind on this one. If it has already been posted somewhere..sorry. Thought it was a nice glimpse inside Spyderco.

http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/spyderco/33070.html
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

That vid never plays for me :/
panthervikefan

Post by panthervikefan »

that was really cool!! always wanted to know what it looked like on the inside!
Johann

Post by Johann »

razorsharp wrote:That vid never plays for me :/
Yeah, it doesn't work for me in Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer.
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

It works fine in chrome here. Thanks for the good video BT...
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

ill try a different computer soon, all I get is an advert
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Johann wrote:Yeah, it doesn't work for me in Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer.
razorsharp wrote:ill try a different computer soon, all I get is an advert
They may have the video blocked for New Zealand ISPs (or more likely any international ISP for that matter), which would explain why it won't play for you two.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Sorry guys, I have tried to find a better way to post it but that's the only link I could find.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

maybe someone with computer know-how could copy it and put it on YT for the world to see, sick of the diamond crystal water softening salt advert LOL
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Hey just found this. See if it works for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUt8ii6ZTjY

liveit_loud on Ebay.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Thx a lot, its not prefect but its a nice workaround!!! Great job!!! Nice vid, Fun impression on how it goes on within the Spydie plant. :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Wow, thats so cool, Thanks bluntrauma. 16 per size freehand, thats freaking accurate
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Yeah I noticed the sound isn't as good on the 2nd video but figured it might work for those who couldn't watch the other one.

liveit_loud on Ebay.
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

thx for the vid ; so cool .
K5MOW

Post by K5MOW »

Thanks nice video.

Roger
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

razorsharp wrote:Wow, thats so cool, Thanks bluntrauma. 16 per size freehand, thats freaking accurate
Just a note about the angles on new knives (my opinion). As seen in the video the Native is being sharpened on a grinding wheel holding the blade by hand. The person sharpening the edge is going fast. I worked on an assembly line after high school and know that you can get extremely accurate when doing something like that at a very fast speed. What will change though is the slight variations from one person to another. I just wanted to throw this out there for anyone new to sharpening to be aware of. I use an Edge Pro sharpener and with it I can take a knife and set the EP to match the angle on a knife. Then I look at the angle setting on the EP and know the angle that is on the knife edge. Most Spyderco's that I've done that with have an edge angle of between 16 and 18 degrees per side. That's between 32 and 36 degrees inclusive. The Sharpmaker's settings are 30 and 40 degrees inclusive. So, to use the Sharpmaker on new knives to sharpen them you will need to set the Sharpmaker to the 40 degree angle which is the goal of the Sharpmaker's design. By having an angle of 30 degrees per side created by that setting on the Sharpmaker you are guaranteed to hit the edge for touch-ups when using the 40 degree angle.

Once in a while though, I've had a knife that has an angle lower than 15 degrees per side and/or higher than 20 degrees per side. If the angle is higher than 20 degrees on one side the edge will need to be re-profiled to an angle lower than 20 on that side to use the Sharpmaker the way it is intended to be used. The angles can easily be different on opposite sides of the same knife. I saw one knife with 26 degrees on one side and 14 degrees on the other side. Whoever sharpened that knife was way off from one side to the other. The inclusive angle though was 40 degrees and it was very sharp so it still cut very well. I want to say that when I say 14 degrees I'm not claiming it is exactly 14 degrees. I'd say the EP and my skill can claim the angle to be between 13.5 and 14.5 degrees. I'm not knocking Spyderco's methods or products. This is also true of other manufacturer's knives. It's the nature of the beast when sharpening by hand quickly. No matter what angle the bevels are the knife can still be razor sharp.

I'm saying all this hopefully to help anyone who is learning to sharpen and understand the edge angles. When I started trying to get my knives razor sharp and sharpened at angles to provide the best cutting performance I had all the questions and have gotten most of the answers. I don't know everything and never will but I've learned a lot and I'd say most of what I've learned has come from people on this forum. I read basic info on the net about sharpening then got answers to specific questions I had here on this forum.

Jack
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

That video was awesome! Thanks blunt.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Pretty cool vid, thanks BT.
Random Chance

Post by Random Chance »

That vid was cool! I've always had a mental picture of how Spyderco's manufacturing was setup based on my own experience, but that video shows that they're quite a bit different than I pictured. Its really cood to see some of the people behind Spyderco knives that you never really hear about. And I always love videos with Sal in them - he strikes me as the Zen Master of Blade Lore, full of wisdom and patience and knowledge. Thanks for posting, Blunt!
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Great video - thanks for posting ;)

Will