Bye Boye

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cheddarnut

Bye Boye

Post by Cheddarnut »

I'll tell youse guys, i don't miss the boye dent on the native 5. How do you feel about this reverse CQI?
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm pleased to see it and I hope that the Native V and Chaparral represent a trend. I've never been able to accept the logic behind the Boye dent, especially in light of counter-intuitive way it's been applied over the years. If it were really a safety feature, I'd think its use would be universal on midlocks. If it's mostly meant to make life safer for hard-use and SD types, then its absence on the Chinook and original Manix midlocks makes as little sense as its presence on the Ladybug and Kopa.

Beyond that, I find it ugly. Can't think of a single case where the word "dent" has been used to describe something attractive. Turns a sleek racehorse of a knife into one that looks like a swayback old nag.

Finally, it's also one of those things that would be fairly simple for those who want it to add, at least on all screw models, but which is virtually impossible for those who don't to eliminate. Try finding someone willing to make you a new lockbar and capable of properly heat-treating it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The Deacon wrote:I'm pleased to see it and I hope that the Native V and Chaparral represent a trend. I've never been able to accept the logic behind the Boye dent, especially in light of counter-intuitive way it's been applied over the years. If it were really a safety feature, I'd think its use would be universal on midlocks. If it's mostly meant to make life safer for hard-use and SD types, then its absence on the Chinook and original Manix midlocks makes as little sense as its presence on the Ladybug and Kopa.

Beyond that, I find it ugly. Can't think of a single case where the word "dent" has been used to describe something attractive. Turns a sleek racehorse of a knife into one that looks like a swayback old nag.

Finally, it's also one of those things that would be fairly simple for those who want it to add, at least on all screw models, but which is virtually impossible for those who don't to eliminate. Try finding someone willing to make you a new lockbar and capable of properly heat-treating it.
This
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I dont mind it but i grew up without it and i dont think id miss it either.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Deacon wrote:Beyond that, I find it ugly. Can't think of a single case where the word "dent" has been used to describe something attractive.
The first thing that flashed through my mind when I read this, Deacon, was Richard Dent, the Hall of Fame defensive end for the Chicago Bears. I don't think I'd call him "attractive" either - at least not to his face...

TedP
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I was glad to see Native5 without dent, if Spyderco start to make Caly 3.5 without dent I will buy new.
Dent or no dent is not the most important thing in design for me, but I prefer no dents, simply from esthetic point of view.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ddop6

Post by ddop6 »

i find the dent more comfortable to push in
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

I agree with Paul concerning the wording. I have always preferred "Boye Indent" (used intermittently and seemingly interchangeably in Spyderco literature, a pet peeve). Kind of like the term Slipjoint. Seems negative and inaccurate, but the English language is full of such terms (not an excuse, just an observation). Take the wordsmith Sarah Palin for example. ;)

Merry Merry!
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

It wasn't till just a few weeks ago that I even knew the Boye Dent even existed. I kinda thought that it was a solution to a non-problem, and it does draw your eye to the inconsistency in the lines of the knife.
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
Donut

Post by Donut »

Both are equally useful to me. To make it functional without a boye dent, you need to make it smaller. The Boye dent gives you the option of making the release area larger.

I think that the lack of a Boye dent makes the knife better looking.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Boye dent doesn't bother me at all. Either way is fine.
:bug-red-white
r small

Post by r small »

The dent makes it easier for me to close the knife one-handed. I slide my thumb down the back of the handle until it drops into the dent. Then I press the release and push the blade out of locked position with my index finger. I can do this without looking or in the dark. It's harder to feel the release lever if it doesn't have the dent.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

r small wrote:The dent makes it easier for me to close the knife one-handed. I slide my thumb down the back of the handle until it drops into the dent. Then I press the release and push the blade out of locked position with my index finger. I can do this without looking or in the dark. It's harder to feel the release lever if it doesn't have the dent.
This used to be my mentality about it, but lately i think i'd be just as well if i had a knife without the dent and i took a file and put my own jimping on the lock, just deep enough to have something to feel for when thumbing down the spine for the lock.
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Whatever works for you. Personally I find the lock well itself offers a clear tactile signal that my thumb is in the correct spot to release the lock.
Paul
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:Whatever works for you. Personally I find the lock well itself offers a clear tactile signal that my thumb is in the correct spot to release the lock.
True. That is after all what i feel for on my Para 2 to find the lock tab when i'm not looking at the knife.
~David
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I'm happy to see the Native 5 does not have the Boye dent, however I'm not so sure its omission was done in the interest of CQI.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's a nice look. As long as the lockbar doesn't require the effort of a thousand pack mules I don't mind it missing.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Blerv wrote:It's a nice look. As long as the lockbar doesn't require the effort of a thousand pack mules I don't mind it missing.
Hear hear, 750 pack mules is my absolute limit.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Donut wrote:Both are equally useful to me. To make it functional without a boye dent, you need to make it smaller. The Boye dent gives you the option of making the release area larger.

Hadnt considered this...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Donut wrote:Both are equally useful to me. To make it functional without a boye dent, you need to make it smaller. The Boye dent gives you the option of making the release area larger.

So you're saying that eliminating the Boye dent allows for a smaller, less inelegant, lock well. If that's the general case, and not just a coincidence on the Native V, it sounds to me like another good reason to dump the dent. :p
Paul