Revisiting the S35VN question.......

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slash

Post by Slash »

gaj999 wrote:My impression was that he didn't like S30V much, so a semi-clone had little appeal. But I really don't care enough to reread the thread. My S35VN Mule is working just fine, so it's a shitstorm in a teakettle for all I can see. I'd buy another S35VN knife in a minute if it spoke to me.

Gordon
Actually, it was more like he was just supporting cts results. But at the same time he did say the mules performed well and he had yet to test the steel in anything other than the mule team.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

At the end of the day, if you're happy with your purchase why do you care about what someone else states about the steel? What bothers you about this subject? It would seem to me, you're wondering what's motivating the tester in question. FWIW, I've given my opinion on that in a recent thread.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Slash wrote:Actually, it was more like he was just supporting cts results. But at the same time he did say the mules performed well and he had yet to test the steel in anything other than the mule team.
+1 . I believe you hit the nail on the head. I also think he found the hype a bit annoying to say the least.
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm not even a fan of S30v but I'm feeling so bad for this random steel I'm tempted to buy a Native 5.

Did you watch Ankerson's video? Did you see any ninja editing? He cut everything on God's green earth and it would still cut paper. Maybe CT can't put an edge on a knife?

I don't know.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

My impression was that based on CATRA results and Crimson Tide's experience, Jim said he didn't expect S35VN to be good. Then, he put it through his usual battery of tests, and said it was good, as found in the Native 5.

Evidence. Testing. Basing opinions on evidence and testing. All good things.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

dj moonbat wrote:My impression was that based on CATRA results and Crimson Tide's experience, Jim said he didn't expect S35VN to be good. Then, he put it through his usual battery of tests, and said it was good, as found in the Native 5.

Evidence. Testing. Basing opinions on evidence and testing. All good things.
+ 1.

I recall he said his Mules did decent and was agreeing that CTS' test setup was "proper". Unlike some he didn't immediately nay-say the results.

Then as you said he tested it and made a video. Which he gave a thumbs up.
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

flipe8 wrote:....What bothers you about this subject?
NO, what bothers YOU, and nearly everyone ELSE about this subject ?? Even Sal has refered to this forum as his own private testing ground, and I'm just asking some questions. Even CrimsonTide was largely lambasted here for having commited the sin of questioning a Spyderco product.
As I've said before, I'm not so concerned about what the truth is, I just want to know WHAT it is.
I've raised a CLEARLY VALID question asking how a well known and respected blade authority can make numerous definative,derisive comments about a particular steel, then in one fell swoop, retract them ALL.
And the truly amazing thing is, the blind, head-in-the-sand fanboy-ism that resulted from it.
We're just shootin' the breeze here,folks, about what is essentially a toy for most of us, yet you guys are reacting like I'm talking bad about your mamas.
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You have started at least 2 threads wearing at least one tin foil hat. It's not fanboyism, it's looking for the answer you want.

Watch Ankerson's vid, dull your factory edge and see how it does. How is "fanboyism" preventing this?

Come up with your own thoughts so you don't have to depend on Jim. It's alot of weight on his shoulders.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MIL-DOT wrote:NO, what bothers YOU, and nearly everyone ELSE about this subject ?? Even Sal has refered to this forum as his own private testing ground, and I'm just asking some questions. Even CrimsonTide was largely lambasted here for having commited the sin of questioning a Spyderco product.
As I've said before, I'm not so concerned about what the truth is, I just want to know WHAT it is.
I've raised a CLEARLY VALID question asking how a well known and respected blade authority can make numerous definative,derisive comments about a particular steel, then in one fell swoop, retract them ALL.
And the truly amazing thing is, the blind, head-in-the-sand fanboy-ism that resulted from it.
We're just shootin' the breeze here,folks, about what is essentially a toy for most of us, yet you guys are reacting like I'm talking bad about your mamas.

Can a guy just be wrong and change his opinion? What part about that bothers you?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gundude73

Post by gundude73 »

Blerv wrote:I'm not even a fan of S30v but I'm feeling so bad for this random steel I'm tempted to buy a Native 5.

Did you watch Ankerson's video? Did you see any ninja editing? He cut everything on God's green earth and it would still cut paper. Maybe CT can't put an edge on a knife?

I don't know.
i dont know why Johns native 5 reacted to his test the way it did. but i can assure you, it was not because it was dull. i have a knife sharpened by him and its easily the sharpest thing i've ever owned.
Digicam Military
Digicam Paramilitary 2
Ladybug
Honeybee
Salt 1
Baliyo

-Matt
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

gundude73 wrote:i dont know why Johns native 5 reacted to his test the way it did. but i can assure you, it was not because it was dull. i have a knife sharpened by him and its easily the sharpest thing i've ever owned.
I have no clue honestly. I know he has an edge pro and have to assume he can put a good edge on a knife.

My response was childish rhetoric really...because this dead horse has been beat so many times it's become glue. Just funny that countless people are happy with the knife and one person isn't.

I'm just curious how many people Crucible has had to pay-off to keep this lie going. How many bodies are buried in the desert of Las Vegas?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mil-Dot,

When new steels come out, the steel junky's always try to jump on them first. The custom makers and some of the factories. There is always a lot of opinions flying around. We try different heat treats, different edge geometries, bevels, etc. We get to hear what works and what doesn't. What these steel-heads like and what they don't like. It takes a while, but then we can hone in on what works the best, and if the steel survives in the marketplace.

We went through this with CPM-440V, (the first production powdered metal), ATS-55, CPM-S30V, ZDP-189, I guess you see the pattern. They were all dissed in the early samples.

We're fortunate that many care enough to bother to "want to know". In the world of "edges", a disease that you seem to have caught, very little is ever absolute. More edge-u-cation changes what we already kknow. That's why it's such an interesting field of study.

sal

---------------------------------------------------------------

We are all teachers and we are all students.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Look, the original poster seems to be looking for people to pipe up in agreement and say, "Yeah --what the **** is wrong with that Jim Ankerson?!" We are, apparently "fanboys" if we decline.

There's a couple of good reasons why the original poster is not getting the sort of discussion of this super-important issue that he desires:

1. Most people around here don't bash other forum denizens, period. They have been asked nicely not to do so by Sal, and most (unlike me) tend not to be the types who get easily riled.

2. Jim Ankerson tests lots of blades, made from lots of steels, and shows his work. Most forum denizens appreciate the effort, and aren't likely to talk much smack about it.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

MIL-DOT wrote:NO, what bothers YOU, and nearly everyone ELSE about this subject ?? Even Sal has refered to this forum as his own private testing ground, and I'm just asking some questions. Even CrimsonTide was largely lambasted here for having commited the sin of questioning a Spyderco product.
If you have read some of my posts on the subject, you'll see it doesn't bother me at all, as I trust my own experience in the big world offline. I didn't put someone from the internet up on a pedestal and have stated a number of times on threads since 2005 that we should all trust our own real life experiences first. Look at my sig line for sh%t sake :D
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

rycen wrote:Maybe I missed it but when S35VN came out wasn't the whole idea to have something similar to S30V but easier to polish out?
Yes...it also has greater "toughness," as defined by Crucible (which means: resistance to lateral force, i.e. edge chipping and similar problems).
angusW

Post by angusW »

Mil-dot, what are the time line of those posts? I can't answer for Ankerson but he might have said he didn't like s35vn for one reason or another then when he finally did his own tests with the Native 5 he was impressed with the results. I don't think Ankerson is a down rotten scoundrel. After all he has tested quite few knives and if he was lying about the results for all those knives then most people would just blow him off. Even if he was lying about his results then, oh well.

btw, you have to tell us what that post work beverage is :D
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

MIL-DOT wrote: Of course, I don't know diddly, but I suspected it may have been sent by Spyderco, along with a request for this test, in order to quench the flames created by Crimson's tests.
So thats why Jim's Spyderco's seem so special :mad:

J/K :p
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

angusW wrote:Mil-dot, what are the time line of those posts? I can't answer for Ankerson but he might have said he didn't like s35vn for one reason or another then when he finally did his own tests with the Native 5 he was impressed with the results. I don't think Ankerson is a down rotten scoundrel. After all he has tested quite few knives and if he was lying about the results for all those knives then most people would just blow him off. Even if he was lying about his results then, oh well.

btw, you have to tell us what that post work beverage is :D

Uh, too many questions,Angus !! I think the statements were from early December, and all from the same thread. And, no, I also don't think Ankerson is a dirty rotten scoundrel. And the post-work beverage, and likely source of my rabble-rousing posts is Bacardi Select rum & Coke(s) :D .
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I think the real question is not about S35VN, but perhaps whether sweet girlie drinks lead to trollish posts ...

Gordon
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

II think I am already started becoming biased against S35V due to the seemingly endless rolling brawl that it has started on the forums. It sure has inpsired a lot of folks to be rude to one another. I don't like it.