Bring back the Centofante IV !!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

wsdavies wrote:When you have superb online dealers like Cutlery Shoppe, Howes, and NGK why buy from Amazon unless it's a price you can't pass on.
Yeh, like those 51 dollar p'kals a few weeks ago. :p
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

wsdavies wrote:When you have superb online dealers like Cutlery Shoppe, Howes, and NGK why buy from Amazon unless it's a price you can't pass on.
No argument there, I just posted this because the OP couldn't find one anywhere else. And, I've recieved two Spydies from Amazon, both came in the correct box with paperwork, and appear to be legit.
Also, I clicked the link to that company that sells the C4 on Amazon, and both the C3 and C4 popped up, so I dunno.
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
kgriggs8

Post by kgriggs8 »

I haven't really looked hard to buy one as a replacement because I am hoping I find the one I lost. I paid $40 for it new and I think that is a great price on one of them. I would pay $70 if I had to but if Spyderco would just start making it again, I would probably find one for $45 give or take.

It is one of those knives where the less is more. It is hard to pay almost double for it but where else can you get such a strong little knife that carries like it is not even there? It also have one of the best handles ever. It is just the right size to get a good grip without any extra. Those nested liners make this svelte folder much stronger than most people know.
catamount

Post by catamount »

kgriggs8 wrote:...A G-10 ZDP-189 version would be too heavy and too expensive and I wouldnt buy one...
G-10 would involve retooling, and, IMO, is unlikely to happen. A different color FRN and ZDP-189 would be relatively easy to do. Burgundy is not normally my first choice, but I think it might suit this model well. Or, since it has become the standard color for ZDP, British Racing Green.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
vito72

Post by vito72 »

Whish to have a centofante IV i loose train when still was in production, if in future they want start a second type, FFG want be really nice, but i think will be difficoult put them again in production, soon we will have "the memory" and Des Horn its very similar.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

How do you like the pinned construction?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Sorry Vito but the Cento 4 & Des Horn may look similar but it stops there. The cento is more heavy duty with a way better push cut grip.
The Des Horn is more like an instrument for surgery than a tool for work & that is a very good thing in itself.
O.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

flash900 wrote:How do you like the pinned construction?
Stops the screws stripping & falling out, eh. :)
Never been a problem to me, nothing to tamper with.
O.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

flash900 wrote:How do you like the pinned construction?
I do prefer to have an adjustable pivot screw, but i haven't had any issues with ANY of the pinned knives i have (Delica, Native, Cento 4). All of them lock up super tight and have no noticeable play.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Why worry about purchasing from Amazon...their prices are very competitive and their return policy is unbeatable. They even pay for the return, and refund everything in the event something is not right. Sure their stock may be hit or miss sometimes depending on the item, but there is no risk of loss so why not go for it.
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

salimoneus wrote:Why worry about purchasing from Amazon...their prices are very competitive and their return policy is unbeatable. They even pay for the return, and refund everything in the event something is not right. Sure their stock may be hit or miss sometimes depending on the item, but there is no risk of loss so why not go for it.

This is a good point. If the knife is advertised as being the C4,( as it is) but turns out to be wrong,you're covered. Looks like you can't lose here.
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just to add to this thread, i just had mine out playing with it a bit, and man is this a superb knife. I think i'm even gonna buy a second one if i ever come across one NIB for a reasonable price. This knife in ZDP would be so amazing. I really wish it had hung in there long enough to get the ZDP/BRG treatment. Still, the Cento 3 would be awesome, but to have a wharnie in ZDP would MAKE MY DAY.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Not to open a can of worms here or anything, I would honestly say that the Centofante II is still by far one of the most superb models in the entire Centofante line-up. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Forum Centofante in burgundy with the Compression Lock. :) It's just not the same as the Cento II.

Just my two cents. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Figured I throw in a pic of the Centofante, made back in the beginning days of the Golden factory.

vito72

Post by vito72 »

O,just,O wrote:Sorry Vito but the Cento 4 & Des Horn may look similar but it stops there. The cento is more heavy duty with a way better push cut grip.
The Des Horn is more like an instrument for surgery than a tool for work & that is a very good thing in itself.
O.

Yes agree with you, centofante its good work tool in elegant dress.
vito72

Post by vito72 »

SteelDragon wrote:Figured I throw in a pic of the Centofante, made back in the beginning days of the Golden factory.

I think Centofante made really a without time design everytime im looking one Centofante i think so, the only one think i do no t like its the small diameter hole but its a minor thing.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

SteelDragon wrote:Figured I throw in a pic of the Centofante, made back in the beginning days of the Golden factory.

Perfection! Now THIS is what I'm talking about. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Wow. Such an elegant design. Thanks for the pic.

I've been on the prowl for a Centofante 4 for a while now and last week I found one here with a German shop at a reasonable price. Got here yesterday and I'm quite happy with it. :-)

It's not quite as a superb slicer as my Delica FFGs but still a wonderfully performing knife.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
kgriggs8

Post by kgriggs8 »

SuzieQ wrote:Wow. Such an elegant design. Thanks for the pic.

I've been on the prowl for a Centofante 4 for a while now and last week I found one here with a German shop at a reasonable price. Got here yesterday and I'm quite happy with it. :-)

It's not quite as a superb slicer as my Delica FFGs but still a wonderfully performing knife.
That pic makes me miss mine more and more.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I've had one since 2007 that my wife got me for my birthday. Still going strong and I don't baby it. The clip got worn down pretty bad so I stripped it and moved it to tip up.

Love the knife. Due to how much I love it, I'm waiting to purchase a Yojimbo 2 when they get back in stock.

I'll add a pic to this thread. The Centofante III and IV are both fantastic knives. Plus with a 2mm blade it's a freaking crazy awesome slicer. Cuts like it's mad at ya...
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford