Stainless backspacers & the Caly 3.5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
theZOOfromHELL

Stainless backspacers & the Caly 3.5

Post by theZOOfromHELL »

I've been looking at the Caly 3.5 for a while. I love vg-10, the blade shape, the choil, but more than anything..

..I love the look of the stainless backspacer surrounding the back-lock. I think it's absolutely gorgeous, and makes the knives look both solid and very classy. It must add a nice little heft to the knife, too.

anyone else share this odd obsession? :) :confused:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

No.
I am not obsessed with Caly3.5. I put this knife on pre-order way before Spyderco released it. NGK mailed it to me on the first day, when they received it. So I just carry it almost every day and absolutely love it. I am not obsessed, I have a passion to Caly3.5 and original Caly3. IMHO it is one of the best production EDC ever made.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

My Caly 3.5 SB Sprint has a leaking problem.
It oozes aesthetic and ergonomic perfection.
It got on both of my hands and seeped into my skin.
I later purchased a NIB Caly 3 G10, which oozes the same substances.
Weird eh?
sal

Post by sal »

Just my opinion and I am surely biased, but I don't think there are too many knife companies producing knives on the order of the Caly3 & Caly3.5.

My Caly3.5 models (VG-10 & Super Blue) and prototype (Carbon fiber ZDP laminate & blue VG-10 version) get a lot of carry time.

sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Timbo114 wrote:My Caly 3.5 SB Sprint has a leaking problem.
It oozes aesthetic and ergonomic perfection.
It got on both of my hands and seeped into my skin.
I later purchased a NIB Caly 3 G10, which oozes the same substances.
Weird eh?
I've been having the same problem. :rolleyes: Thanks for putting it into words. ;)
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:My Caly3.5 models (VG-10 & Super Blue) and prototype (Carbon fiber ZDP laminate & blue VG-10 version) get a lot of carry time.
Sal, did you just say PROTOTYPE?! :eek: :D
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm inclined to be the other way. Stainless steel backspacers get the job done, but I wonder how a CF backspacer would work on models like the Caly 3 and 3.5 where there seems to be a focus on lightness. Would it be strong enough? Would it be significantly lighter?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

wrdwrght wrote:Sal, did you just say PROTOTYPE?! :eek: :D
Sal has previously confirmed that a CF/ZDP Caly 3.5 is coming. It will likely be clad with 420J2. The blue G10 was probably the prototype for the Vg10 Caly 3.5 that is out now.

And I concur with Roman. I am not obsessed with the Caly but I have 4 already and see myself purchasing more. It just seems like the perfect blend of aesthetic and function, IMO. :D
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Paul,

I would question the use of CF to hold the spring long term without some type of support. The lock-back spring generates quite a bit of force in a small area.

On the lite weights, we use support built into the FRN.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:Hi Paul,

I would question the use of CF to hold the spring long term without some type of support. The lock-back spring generates quite a bit of force in a small area.

On the lite weights, we use support built into the FRN.

sal
Couldn't the same thing be done with CF, either by starting with thicker stock and milling away material on both sides leaving the studs or by having a purpose-built part molded? I do realize one or both of those might not be economically feasible, and might not work on the Calys due to space constraints. Just wonder if/how well it would work.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It might be a good use of Titanium. One of the better uses for it actually.
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

I share the OP's love of SS backspacers, lockbacks (or midlocks), 3" blades, leaf shaped blades, etc. I'm currently pocketing an N5 for EDC and it's really becoming a favorite. I like the weight and rigidity that SS backspacers add in a smaller folder.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dalefuller wrote:I share the OP's love of SS backspacers, lockbacks (or midlocks), 3" blades, leaf shaped blades, etc. I'm currently pocketing an N5 for EDC and it's really becoming a favorite. I like the weight and rigidity that SS backspacers add in a smaller folder.
Yah, give me an SS back spacer each time. :D
starma

Post by starma »

The Caly 3.5 is what converted me to Spyderco. I’ve heard that Spydercos are designed in the dark or some such thing...but I don’t see it. The Caly 3.5 is a work of art—it’s slick, slim, and sexy and I love the SS backspace. (Please don’t tell my wife I called my knife sexy, she already thinks I’m crazy for spending nearly $100 to buy it.)
If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one? -Abraham Lincoln
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

theZOOfromHELL wrote:I've been looking at the Caly 3.5 for a while. I love vg-10, the blade shape, the choil, but more than anything..

..I love the look of the stainless backspacer surrounding the back-lock. I think it's absolutely gorgeous, and makes the knives look both solid and very classy. It must add a nice little heft to the knife, too.

its one of the first things I notices :D , everything was PERFECTLY flush. The backspacer and liners are so flush it looks like 1 piece of steel :eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just had my ZDP Caly 3 out of the box today...such a gorgeous knife. I still wish it had come with a solid ZDP blade...can't stand how easy that 420J2 stuff scratches. Still one of the best feeling ergonomics of any knife out there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

theZOOfromHELL wrote:I've been looking at the Caly 3.5 for a while. I love vg-10, the blade shape, the choil, but more than anything..

Yessir. Thats what makes the g10 ukpks and urbans so sweet. It makes it look like...metal. Metal is coooooooool.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
noddy

Post by noddy »

D1omedes wrote:Sal has previously confirmed that a CF/ZDP Caly 3.5 is coming.
I hope this remains so :)

(I'd like a blue handle on a zdp one :) :))