Spyderco At A Christmas Party

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Water Bug

Spyderco At A Christmas Party

Post by Water Bug »

We had our office Christmas party today, and my boss invited his boss to attend. Part of the festivities included a White Elephant Gift Exchange. As we drew numbers, my boss' boss drew Number 1.

She picked her gift, pulled the wrapping from the box, and found the box (supposedly containing a food processor) securely taped. Of course, everyone was saying, "We need to see what's really in the box!"

So, she walks straight to me, holds out the box, and waits. Fortunately for me I wasn't a slow learner in this case. I retrieved my Spyderco Delica4 Black FRN PE from my RFP, I thumb it open in public in the most descrete manner possible, I cut the tape securing the box, and I handed the opened box back to her (and, yes, it really was a food processor).

She later made it known to all that she came to me because she knew I was equipped for such a task! :eek: Heck, I didn't realize she knew! I certainly have not flashed my hardware before her... as far as I know. Maybe it had something to do with that discussion I had with one of her staff members regarding Leatherman tools at one of her staff meetings.

Anyway, once again Spyderco knives come to the rescue at a Christmas party! :)
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Man, I couldn't imagine working in an environment where everyone DIDN'T have a knife. That said, I'm known as the guy who has exceedingly sharp and high quality knives on me at all times. Glad it turned out well for you. However, isn't it ironic, , , you had to use your 'food processor' to open a food processor. :D
sal

Post by sal »

I'll bet there were hundreds of knives at the Spyderco Christmas party. :cool:

sal
joetheknifeguy

Post by joetheknifeguy »

How many people where there Sal? Counting the DJ I bet they all had knives! That would be like going to an NRA dinner without a gun ;)

Semper Fi
Joe
Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Joe,

I'd guess 100-120 crew and friends.

Hey Waterbug,

Glad you able to be the solution. Nothing is quite like a sharp edge.

sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Though my friends may make fun of my knife-carrying ways, I find that I'm the go-to guy on set for knife needs. When we're out shooting in the desert, the woods, or anywhere there isn't access to the conveniences of civilization, my knife is often called on to cut things from rope, vegetation, and plastics to food, cloth, and whatever else may need it's matter separated. Anytime someone who isn't part of our regular crew asks for a knife, they get sent to me, with the words: "Kyle's got two or three knives on him..."

Of course, thanks to the horror stories I've heard on here, I always make sure that: a) the person knows that it is extremely sharp, and b) I want to know what they intend on doing with it, because many people think a $150 XHP Manix 2 would make a great screwdriver, hammer, shovel, etc. I quickly set those people straight. ;) So far no mishaps and it always brings a smile to my face when they return my knife and comment on how crazy sharp it is, to which I reply, "What's the point in having a knife if it isn't sharp?"
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

SQSAR wrote:Man, I couldn't imagine working in an environment where everyone DIDN'T have a knife. That said, I'm known as the guy who has exceedingly sharp and high quality knives on me at all times. Glad it turned out well for you. However, isn't it ironic, , , you had to use your 'food processor' to open a food processor. :D
Me and a civilian staff member (retired Army) appeared to be the only ones there packing blades that day. He assisted with his SAK.

And, yeah, it took a manual slicer of food to let an automated food slicer get out of its box. :)
Sal wrote:Hi Joe,

I'd guess 100-120 crew and friends.

Hey Waterbug,

Glad you able to be the solution. Nothing is quite like a sharp edge.

sal
Thanks, Sal! And, thank you for making the Spyderco Sharpmaker so I can keep those edges sharp!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Water Bug wrote:She later made it known to all that she came to me because she knew I was equipped for such a task! :eek: Heck, I didn't realize she knew! I certainly have not flashed my hardware before her... as far as I know.
I wish something like this would happen to me at my Christmas Party.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Great story.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nicely done, Water Bug. :)

Several of my co-workers recently became aware that I carry a Spyderco. (I'm mostly limited to a carrying a Ladybug due to the fact that there is a "no weapons" policy at work :( ).

I'm not sure how they knew about my Spyderco...I suppose it may have had something to do with the large Spyderco "Bug" logo that I taped above my desk. :rolleyes:

Take care,

S.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

sal wrote:I'll bet there were hundreds of knives at the Spyderco Christmas party. :cool:

sal

Sal,

That is awesome. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall. Or perhaps a :spyder: . :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

Water Bug wrote: I certainly have not flashed my hardware before her... as far as I know.
I chuckled at this. :D
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

SpyderNut wrote:Nicely done, Water Bug. :)

Several of my co-workers recently became aware that I carry a Spyderco. (I'm mostly limited to a carrying a Ladybug due to the fact that there is a "no weapons" policy at work :( ).

I'm not sure how they knew about my Spyderco...I suppose it may have had something to do with the large Spyderco "Bug" logo that I taped above my desk. :rolleyes:

Take care,

S.
It's unfortunate that there has to be these types of policies in place in regards to folding knifes but I guess you have to set boundaries. I'm sure even if they allowed small folders someone would show up with an Emerson super Commander and screw it up for everyone else.
For many, I think most people, they are just a handy tool to help with day to day tasks at least thats why I carry one. Stick someone who is a little North of South behind a pair of scissors, piece of lunchroom cutlery or a letter opener and I am sure the threat is pretty equal to a 6" or 7" EDC.
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

SpyderNut wrote:Nicely done, Water Bug. :)

Take care,

S.
Someone at my office reported me to HR about my Superleaf. Part of my job involves shipping of signage, manuals etc. So I regularly have to break down cardboard boxes to fashion some sort of packaging to send these signs in.

For some reason, they're fine with me using my Endura even though it's a longer blade. But the handle is Blue.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Mike79 wrote:Someone at my office reported me to HR about my Superleaf. Part of my job involves shipping of signage, manuals etc. So I regularly have to break down cardboard boxes to fashion some sort of packaging to send these signs in.

For some reason, they're fine with me using my Endura even though it's a longer blade. But the handle is Blue.
Maybe you should put little smiley face stickers all over your Superleaf and add a Lanyard that's a pretty color. :D
sal

Post by sal »

Mike79 wrote:Someone at my office reported me to HR about my Superleaf. Part of my job involves shipping of signage, manuals etc. So I regularly have to break down cardboard boxes to fashion some sort of packaging to send these signs in.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Sorry about your experience with the Superleaf. It is an interesting world we live in now. That's one of the reasons that we make knives with colors.

sal
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

sal wrote:Hi Mike,

Sorry about your experience with the Superleaf. It is an interesting world we live in now. That's one of the reasons that we make knives with colors.

sal
Interesting point.

Sal, please release the Superleaf with blue handles! You would make my day :D
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

sal wrote:Hi Mike,

sal
Thanks for the welcome Sal.

FYI, I bought the Superleaf after seeing Nutnfancy's shot show 2011 booth interview with you.