Belt loop carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rg02

Belt loop carry?

Post by rg02 »

How many of you carry a spydie clipped at the top of your pants waistband and through your belt loop on the front of your pants? I am in a dress suit and tie profession so I am unable to do the traditional pocket clip carry( wouldn't look good)

EDIT: I found my SS Endura is slim enough for comfortable carry this way.

Pics to clarify how I carry it:

View from outside

View from inside

View of top looking down
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Just to clarify, not "in waistband" as the knife rests between belt and outside of pants?

Something THIN. A Cricket or Balance would prob be my choice. Stainless knives are the thinnest usually.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Sounds like a deep carry clip would be helpful. The CF Caly ZDP 189 would be my suggestion. Thin and classy.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JLS

Post by JLS »

Sounds like a narrow folder in the closed position would help too. The Centofante 3 has promise in that respect.

I'm surprised the Native didn't work well. What was wrong with it?
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

Maybe a Dfly, thin lightweight and low ride clip
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I think that every suit I owned had a coin pocket inside the RF pants pocket to keep change from bulging the bottom of the pocket. That might be a good location for a knife.

And of course suit coats have pockets for cell phone, business card case, etc. which might be suitable. I hardly wore my suit coat in the office so my knife was in the RF change pocket of my pants.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

the chaparral may suit the conditions. very thin & light... though you did say "good size" so it might be a bit small. centofante3 would also be a good choice & it's a bit larger.

i carry like this when i wear these cargo pants that have really wide belt loops...normal belt loops on jeans are too narrow to clip on imo.
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Blerv wrote:Just to clarify, not "in waistband" as the knife rests between belt and outside of pants?

Something THIN. A Cricket or Balance would prob be my choice. Stainless knives are the thinnest usually.
Just the clip goes on the outside of the pants and slides in the belt loop. The knife goes inside my waistband. Hope that makes sense.

As for the native---- it is a little wide for my liking (uncomfortable) and being SS it is heavy. I am not a thin guy so a thicker blade spydie like a dragonfly would "cut" into my stomach when I sit down.....
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
rg02

Post by rg02 »

dem0n1k wrote:the chaparral may suit the conditions. very thin & light... though you did say "good size" so it might be a bit small. centofante3 would also be a good choice & it's a bit larger.

i carry like this when i wear these cargo pants that have really wide belt loops...normal belt loops on jeans are too narrow to clip on imo.
By good size, I didn't mean leave size. I just meant a comfortable size. I should have clarified :) . I would like to keep the blade close to 3" or less if possible.
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ah gotcha! Yea more or less people call that IWC or in waistband carry.

There are a couple out there you wouldn't realize are on you. Mostly the SS ones mentioned. The Spin is another discontinued but would be a great office carry like that.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Blerv wrote:Ah gotcha! Yea more or less people call that IWC or in waistband carry.

There are a couple out there you wouldn't realize are on you. Mostly the SS ones mentioned. The Spin is another discontinued but would be a great office carry like that.
What about the newer flat grind Delica? I would like to get something non SS to keep the weight down. BTW, thanks for the tip on the terminology :) .
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
AfriadOfSpyders

Post by AfriadOfSpyders »

What about a Sage1 CF? Small, classy, good looking knife.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

I was actually thinking of one of those as well. I am just not sure how wide the handle is on those...... What is a good price on a sage CF?
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

rg02 wrote:What is a good price on a sage CF?
$100 or less. There are a few on ebay from reliable sellers for $92-100 shipped.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I'd just drop it into the pocket. Haven't lost one yet. :rolleyes:
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The main problem is width for comfort. I hear some do well with Delica's. I'd rather go Rookie or Chaparall in that size though.

Just depends on what your comfortable with. You can prob get dimensions and try to emulate it.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

rg02 wrote:I was actually thinking of one of those as well. I am just not sure how wide the handle is on those...... What is a good price on a sage CF?
To plug the CF Caly 3 again: same length blade as the Sage 1 but smaller handle. Plus the Sage 1 doesn't have a deep carry clip.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Blerv wrote:The main problem is width for comfort. I hear some do well with Delica's. I'd rather go Rookie or Chaparall in that size though.

Just depends on what your comfortable with. You can prob get dimensions and try to emulate it.
After just dropping some coin on the Para mil 2, I really like the price point on the flat grind Delica much better than the $90+ for the chaparral..... Is the Delica that much bigger?
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I wear a suit every work day - and I never use a clip. I keep the Para2/Manix/Stretch in my briefcase and carry a DragonFly/Chaparral/Urban/"S" or similar lightweight knife in my pocket sans clip.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If I'm visualizing this correctly, it seems that you're carrying the knife in a semi-horizontal position. If that's the case, then a narrow (top to bottom) knife would be best and you may want to look for something like a Centofante 3 or Des Horn.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!