First post (introduction)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jonwes

First post (introduction)

Post by Jonwes »

Hey all!

Short time lurker here... figured I'd introduce myself and maybe get involved a bit more before I someday actually need all of your help :)

Im 25, grew up and live in Washington state. I've been interested in knives and guns since I've been able to own them, and am a huge DIY person. Started sharpening my own knives first using an APEX Edge Pro, but switched in the past few years to a belt sanding setup, as my favorite edge is convex and I saw this method as the easiest way to achieve this.

Just got into Spyderco in the last month or so. Had my eye on some of the newer supersteel knives but couldn't justify spending the money on them (poor returning college student)... So instead I bought a Persistence, which fit the bill perfectly (except for the steel).

First thing I did when I got it in the mail was take it apart, clean it, and oil it with dry lube. About 5 minutes later I threw out the dry lube, went out to the drugstore to get some mineral oil, and lubed it up with that instead =P. Taught myself how to flick it open with my thumb and middle finger, how to spydie drop it, and fell in love immediately. Of course not without cutting myself first (although minor, it really happened).

After much more research in the next 24 hours, I bit the bullet and ordered a SB Caly 3.5, which I honestly think is the perfect knife for me right now. I usually go for black scales, but am in love with the grey scales, and how they develop a type of "patina" from your hands. Thinking about ordering a second, but might hold out in case any other sprint runs are in the plans. Shortly after that I ordered a ZDP Ladybug to go on my keychain :)

I think what sets me apart from many of you it seems, is that I'm more into the steel itself than the knife. The only other thing on my list is a Dialex Junior, which I don't know if I'll ever own due to the VG-10 steel. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great steel, but I don't get around to sharpening my own knives all that often, and I hate having a dullish knife.

I also have a great interest in creating my own knives, but am far too busy to start that hobby quite yet. Someday... :)

Very much looking forward to the next mule so I can do some handle and kydex sheath work. Awesome program Spyderco!

Did I miss anything? lol

Looking forward to learning from and getting to know you guys/girls!
-Jonathan
ValueKnifeLover

Post by ValueKnifeLover »

Welcome! I would say beware of the Spydie bug that forces you to buy more and more of them... but it seems it got into your system fast! That Caly seems like it is one heck of a knife. If the reviews are all correct you will love it! Congrats and again welcome! And I am also certain some VG-10 will wind up in your hand eventually ;) just wait.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Welcome Aboard! You will find there are many, many of us who are very much steel junkies.

P.S. I'm not a huge fan of VG-10 either. ;-)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Welcome, as you can tell from my handle I'm on the Olympic Peninsula.

I've been EDCing the SB Caly and it is pretty close to perfect. The only thing I'd change would be to use bolts instead of pins so that it is easier to put custom scales on it.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Greetings from Sri Lanka Jonathan and welcome to the forum. That is a nice introduction and look forward to reading More of ur posts.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

A warm welcome to you, Jonathan!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

Welcome!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome to the forums and the new addiction :)
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Awesome, welcome. Convex for the win!!! I need to track down a Super Blue soon.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

hehehe, no escaping the spyders web ;)
rg02

Post by rg02 »

From one new guy to anOther, welcome!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Bert T

Post by Bert T »

I'm more of a steel junkie than a knife man. Oh, and I was a college student too some 50 years ago. ****, I believe that means I am getting old. lol

Bert
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Welcome, Jonathan.
I think you will find that many of us (including Spyderco's founder and president, Sal Glesser) are very much into steels and metallurgic properties of knives. I am into both certain designs (in my case, really big on hawkbills, Manixes, and some of the more exotic but ergonomic designs) and certain steels (I love H-1, high-end tool steels (read: not stainless), and newer alloy steels like CTS-XHP which is more or less like D2 with even more corrosion resistance. I still often carry VG-10, S30V or (in the case of the Byrd Hawkbill) 8Cr13MoV, which despite not considered an exceptional high performance steel, performs quite effectively in the hawkbill design. I find that I can get a little of everything I like from Spyderco, without the hype or style-over-substance sense I get from most other production manufacturers. (Not that the manufacturers are making poor knives or even causing the hype in many cases, but I find the information to speculation ratio far better here than on most forums, and than with most companies).
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

I am also new... I know u said u didn't like VG10 steel, but u should look into a dragonfly for a secondary knife.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

I prefer blades that corrode easily... Fortunately there are many choices among all the great edge-retaining steels and pseudo-steels available.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum. Hope you enjoy your time here. We seem to have a fair amount of "steelheads" visiting. We all earn from each other often.

School first, then kinives.

Hi C.L.L.

Welcome to our forum as well.

sal
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome Jonwes, enjoy :)

You're not too different from many of us. Personally I really enjoy vg-10 and consider it a top notch versatile material. As the different stuff comes around it is tried and tested and tested by some.

All are good, but some are better depending on the preferences of the user. I haven't found a lousy material yet :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

sal wrote:Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum. Hope you enjoy your time here. We seem to have a fair amount of "steelheads" visiting. We all earn from each other often.

School first, then kinives.

Hi C.L.L.

Welcome to our forum as well.

sal
Thanks Mr.Glesser. I hope you and your family have a merry Christmas!
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

welcome and greeetzzz
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome Jonwes, C.L.L. and welcome again rg02. Great to see new names in the mix. Looks like you have a great Spyderco start and soon will make it hard to keep up with the Jonwes. Sorry. I think that many on here are steel nuts, it kind of goes with the territory once you get the "bug". Good luck all and happy Spydie hunting.