Help Me Pick My First Spyderco!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zunedog31

Help Me Pick My First Spyderco!

Post by zunedog31 »

Hi guys just joined the site.

I have been interested in Spyderco Knives for some time now and I am thinking of finally getting one.

What i'm looking for:
-Under $75
-Flat ground
-Circular hole with gimping on the spine
-G10
-No steel preference (don't know enough about steals and I am a casual user)
-No wacky designs (Although I love the look of the Dodo)
-Leaf shaped blade
-Thick blade
-Liner lock (not really sure what the pros and cons of other locks are)
-Can be purchased on amazon

I like the Tenacious but want to know if there is something better.

Thanks!
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

A tenacious would be a good fit. It is the gateway spydie for a lot of people.
Spyder Count: 7
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Tenacious all the way you just read the specs yourself. I love mine it's with me all time.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Yep I think in that price range a Tenacious would be the best option. Although I would spend $10 more and get a Manix2.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

Is the tenacious the higher end one?I know there are a couple that are similar like the persistance.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

zunedog31 wrote:Is the tenacious the higher end one?I know there are a couple that are similar like the persistance.
The only difference is size. The tenacious is bigger than the Persistance. My son has a Persistance and loves it. I've messed with it a little and like it also. Very comfortable to hold. Like someone said the Manix2 is a much better knife IMO. It doesn't have a liner lock though. What amazed me when starting to get better quality knives and paying attention to blade length in the catalogs and on-line is the blade was longer once it was in my hand than I pictured it going by blade length in the catalog. So, I think the Persistance is 2 3/4" but doesn't feel like a small knife at all. Good luck with your decision. No matter what you choose it will be a nice knife.

Jack
Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. Lots of info from the guys here if you need it. Just ask.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

zunedog31 wrote:Is the tenacious the higher end one?I know there are a couple that are similar like the persistance.
No, just another in the line of China made spydercos. To be honest if you want your first spydie Id say go with a delica or endura. But if you need to have g10 go with a manix 2. Or you could get a dragonfly g10 if its not too small for you.

Also why amazon? There are a ton of other knife specific stores out there, many with free shipping, that offer fast, reliable shipping and great customer service. They also usually have better prices. Imo, much better then ordering from amazon and getting your knife through a random supplier.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The standard Manix2 seems most fitting. It's not a liner lock or flat-ground though which is either a pro or can depending on how you see it.

Check out some videos; it might be the ticket. Otherwise I'd save an extra $25 and get a Para2 which meets all the criteria except has a compression lock (which is an evolution and a half past liner lock).
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

Thanks for the info guys, still looking around for the right knife for me. I am looking through CutleryLover's videos on youtube, he has great reviews on there.

The liner lock is pretty much a necessity for me as is the G10 and the flat grind. Still open to ideas, however.

Are there any G10 flatground knives with liner locks that are higher end then this? Are there any rare or unique knives being made right now that they will stop making soon that I may want to look into?

Looking more at the Tenacious I don't really like the elongated blade as much as I like the leaf shaped blade.

The reason I want to buy from amazon is i just prefer it. If you have any suggestions on sites where I can buy I would be happy to check it out.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Welcome Aboard! If you are hard pressed to stay with the specs you originally stated, then the Tenacious is the knife for you. Personally, I'd have to agree with those who have suggested either a Manix2 or FRN Endura.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

IG-88 wrote:Yep I think in that price range a Tenacious would be the best option. Although I would spend $10 more and get a Manix2.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Spend the extra cash and grab a Manix2. You'll just end up with it eventually. :D
duvaldrummer

Post by duvaldrummer »

It's weird, the only knife that I can think of that completely fits your criteria (other than $) is the military. If you could bend a little bit on scale material and a slight price jump, the Sage 1 is an amazing knife. The woven carbon fiber has a great texture to it and looks amazing. I got mine for $84 shipped on ebay, so its not so far above your ideal price.
My :spyder:'s : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Go see Jeff at the Cutlery Shoppe. He has a great price (inside your budget) on the Manix 2 (saber grind). He's out of stock right now, but should have some soon.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

Hmmm. I like the Manix's gimping on the top and bottom near the handle and the G10. I do not really like the blade grind and it is pretty expensive. What is the lock like? I would really like a a liner lock. What about the Manix 1? Is it cheaper or has different features? Where would you find a Manix 1?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

zunedog31 wrote:Hmmm. I like the Manix's gimping on the top and bottom near the handle and the G10. I do not really like the blade grind and it is pretty expensive. What is the lock like? I would really like a a liner lock. What about the Manix 1? Is it cheaper or has different features? Where would you find a Manix 1?
They can be found, however you may notice alot of forumites have the C95 Manix and the Mini-Manix (both original and discontinued) as their "holy grail" in their signature. I saw a used Mini Manix go on ebay this past week for about $200+ I think. The XL Manix 2 may be a good choice for you because it is a large blade and full flat grind. Regarding the lock . . . IMO it is one of the best locks I have ever used from any maker. If you are a "casual user", it should serve you more than well.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

There's nothing wrong with ordering from Amazon.com. I would recommend being careful if you order from Amazon.com third-party sellers, but ordering from them directly is not a problem, unless their price is out of line (as it sometimes is). I've placed about 165 orders with Amazon this year alone (not just knives!). Their customer service is excellent and their return policies far better than most.

BTW, US federal law requires each household to contain at least one Tenacious.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

BTW, US federal law requires each household to contain at least one Tenacious.[/QUOTE]

Ha! I knew it! And here I've been violating the law all this time... :eek:

Welcome aboard, zunedog31!

I tend to agree with the others' advice on your first purchase. Before too long, I'm confident you'll have a nice little "family" of Spyders to enjoy.

All the best,

~S.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

zunedog31 wrote:Thanks for the info guys, still looking around for the right knife for me. I am looking through CutleryLover's videos on youtube, he has great reviews on there.

The liner lock is pretty much a necessity for me as is the G10 and the flat grind. Still open to ideas, however.

Are there any G10 flatground knives with liner locks that are higher end then this? Are there any rare or unique knives being made right now that they will stop making soon that I may want to look into?

Looking more at the Tenacious I don't really like the elongated blade as much as I like the leaf shaped blade.

The reason I want to buy from amazon is i just prefer it. If you have any suggestions on sites where I can buy I would be happy to check it out.
The only product that spyderco makes with g10 and a liner lock on the higher end is the military. They really dont make many liner lock knives at all...so if thats all your into your choices are going to be very limited.

Knifecenter.com
Knifeworks.com
Cutleryshoppe.com
Knivesshipfree.com

There are others out there as well.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

raise budget, just a leel'bit . Say to 110, then you can afford a para 2. Basically spyderco's flagship model now. Otherwise, manix 2 is what I pick.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Just get the Manix 2. I wasn't sure I liked the looks of it that much until I got one. It's a superb knife and a huge value for $68 from Amazon right now with free shipping. The knife is a home run!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt