Are superhawks rare and sought after?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tacticooledc

Are superhawks rare and sought after?

Post by tacticooledc »

I have one in my possession but am thinking of trading it for a benchmade 755 that I really like. Not sure if the superhawk will go up in value or if I can sell it for a decent profit.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If it follows the trend in a few years it may be in that mid 200 range. For something to bump into the $300's it has to be VERY unique or sought after. Hawkbills aren't well received by the average buyer; their loss I guess. :)
tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

Blerv wrote:If it follows the trend in a few years it may be in that mid 200 range. For something to bump into the $300's it has to be VERY unique or sought after. Hawkbills aren't well received by the average buyer; their loss I guess. :)
Hmm, I'd probably have better luck selling the superhawk on the usual forums, i've seen the 755 go for the low 100's. Superhawk is also having trouble selling in the 150's though. Lately it's been really hard to sell anything :mad:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Sorry let me back up.

I thought you wanted to know what it would "peak" in the next year or two. I'm certain it's probably stuck in that mid 100's range but as things go the unattainable tend to get pricey.

Spyderco Lava's and Adventura's sold for $70-100 all day long a year or so ago. Now if you can find one NIB they are in that low to mid 100 range. I think the Superhawk is going to be the next Lil Temp for the few fanatics but who knows.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The last 3 on E-bay sold from $130 to $172.50.

I have one and paid in the lower end of that range to get it.

The $172.50 is the highest that I can recall one selling for.

Some e-tailers still have them as "new-old" stock, running in the $200+ range.

I am surprised that it was not more popular. The Superhawk is king of hawkbills and made of first-class materials, great locking mechanim, yada yada yada. I really like mine.
Dan Barnes

Post by Dan Barnes »

mikerestivo wrote:I am surprised that it was not more popular. The Superhawk is king of hawkbills and made of first-class materials, great locking mechanim, yada yada yada. I really like mine.
I suspect those virtues were the problem. Outside of these forums, most people who buy hawkbills buy them for the kind of jobs where the risk of loss or damage makes them shy away from expensive knives.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you're not buying it to use, I'd rate it as a fairly poor investment. It's not rare and, aside from a handful of true believers, not sought after either.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

The Deacon wrote:If you're not buying it to use, I'd rate it as a fairly poor investment. It's not rare and, aside from a handful of true believers, not sought after either.
I'd have to agree with that. Although it is certainly one of the nicest hawkbills out there, if you're not going to use, what's the point?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Deacon wrote:If you're not buying it to use, I'd rate it as a fairly poor investment. It's not rare and, aside from a handful of true believers, not sought after either.
Yep, poor investment since you will be severely tempted to carry it. :D

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Not rare, but slightly uncommon, and not much sought-after. Too bad, but that's why they were discontinued. I would have thought there would be some demand for scale swaps, but even that demand seems a little slender.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Dan Barnes wrote:I suspect those virtues were the problem. Outside of these forums, most people who buy hawkbills buy them for the kind of jobs where the risk of loss or damage makes them shy away from expensive knives.
It does not explain it's lack of appeal for collectors. There are plenty of odd-shaped blades that become popular after being discontinued (i.e. Captain, Barong, which have both about doubled in street value since being disco'd). I doubt that users (for the kind of jobs you refer to) are driving the market for those.

There is a general stigma about hawkbills, which I don't understand fully, given the popularity of some of the other oddly-shaped blades out there. I suppose there is an aversion to sharpening them. This may be why serrated edges are not more popular.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would trade you my user 755 for a superhawk. That is if I had it in my posession. I think the superhawk is a nice knife. I don't see too many of them selling.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!