CPM S335VN New York Style Cheese Cake Test

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DRKBC

CPM S335VN New York Style Cheese Cake Test

Post by DRKBC »

Well after all the Hub-ub about S35VN I decided to conduct my own test. I stayed up last night to compare how the S35V on my Native 5 would handle New York cheese cake in comparison to my Sebenza 21 which is S30V.
All the cheese cakes where of the same brand, bought form the same super market, previously frozen and left to stand at room temperature for 4 hours prior to testing. And well guys, I hate to say it but the edge on my Native rolled. It may have been the hard crust, I don't know but after 2 pies it was done and also ... I had heart burn (where as I only had bloating and mild gas after using the S30V) very disturbing.
I will post the video on YouTube after I get cleaned up and have a ... nap.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The major flaw I see in your comparo is the difference in blade lengths.

The Native had to work 1.5 times as hard as the Sebenza to slice through that crust. Unless you only push-cut.

Another test anomaly is that 'crust', by definition, is not a fair test medium, as can be seen in the way the crust 'crushed' the Natives edge
:cool: :D :rolleyes:
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

That still doesn't explain the heart burn.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Maybe that's just your stomach ulcer acting up ? :)
Hans

.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Were any animals injured during this test?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am not so sure about your choice of testing media. What brand were your cheese cakes? And how your tests effect global warming?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

:D :) :D :) Biggest smile I've had today, thank you.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nooooooooo!!!! :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

That's the most rediculous example of a test I've ever seen. Everybody knows banana cream pie is a much more reliable test. No heart burn either.

I hate amatures. :D

Jack
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Man, I haven't had cheesecake in ages. It's good to know that if I find a place with some good cheesecake, I've now got an excuse to get a Sebenza.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

Good one! Thanks for the laugh this morning :D
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Say what you will, cheese cake brand, Banana cream pie stomach ulcers but I am going to come right out and say what a lot of us have have been thinking and the tech guys already know. Spyderco, CRK and the major Steel Suppliers fear ``The New York Cheese Cake test`` ... I will be silenced no longer.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DRKBC wrote:Say what you will, cheese cake brand, Banana cream pie stomach ulcers but I am going to come right out and say what a lot of us have have been thinking and the tech guys already know. Spyderco, CRK and the major Steel Suppliers fear ``The New York Cheese Cake test`` ... I will be silenced no longer.
"New York Cheese Cake Test". I (and all steels) cower at the thought! :eek:

Jack
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Yep, funny stuff. But you know what'd REALLY be funny ? If the tests Sal and Co. are doing right now determine that this steel is in fact softer than they'd thought, and that a different Rc. treatment is necessary, and then they tell all us N5 owners that we can send them back and they'll replace the blades for free ( minus our shipping), but they'll try and get them back to us in less than 3 months. Now THAT would be some funny stuff,right there :D .
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I tried that other test on the cable that connects to my TV but now I have very poor reception.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

And to think all these years I have been testing meat inside denim pants leg.
NY Cheesecake! OMG right under my nose! Gonna have to re-think the whole meat test thingy now....Doc :eek:
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Peruna

Post by Peruna »

I am curious how much the whipped cream played a role in this test? Did the viscosity of the cream and the blade profile of the Sebbie vs. the Native make a difference?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The cream inflamed the ulcer, which then caused the heart burn. The heart burn distracted the OP to slightly twist the N5's blade through the crust, which must have caused some side-loading on the edge during the push-cuts.

Its the cow's fault the N5's edge rolled! ;)

Elementary, my dear Watson! :D :cool:
Hans

DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Peruna wrote:I am curious how much the whipped cream played a role in this test? Did the viscosity of the cream and the blade profile of the Sebbie vs. the Native make a difference?
Funny you should ask Peruna ... because of allergies I used a non dairy soy whip (a little unconventional I know) and the Native had to work fairly hard to get through it. As the test progressed it became harder and harder to penetrate the whip ??? However the blade profile may have been a factor as the Sebbie shed the whip better than the native and was less prone to tongue slicing when one licked off the knife.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Brock O Lee wrote:The cream inflamed the ulcer, which then caused the heart burn. The heart burn distracted the OP to slightly twist the N5's blade through the crust, which must have caused some side-loading on the edge during the push-cuts.

Its the cow's fault the N5's edge rolled! ;)

Elementary, my dear Watson! :D :cool:
Non diary soy whip my friend, non dairy soy whip ... Nice try though. When I put this on YouTube its going viral baby !!!