Question on Manix 2 liners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
46Alpha

Question on Manix 2 liners

Post by 46Alpha »

After adding a few Manix 2 sprints to my collection, I've noticed that all have skeletonized liners. I love the balance of the Manix with the lighter liners. The standard has solid liners. Has anyone cut/drilled the liners to match the sprints? Would it affect the overall sturdiness of the knife?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

46Alpha wrote:After adding a few Manix 2 sprints to my collection, I've noticed that all have skeletonized liners. I love the balance of the Manix with the lighter liners. The standard has solid liners. Has anyone cut/drilled the liners to match the sprints? Would it affect the overall sturdiness of the knife?
I recall seeing someone mill out the standard liners when the knife was first launched. Seems a ton of work for the minimal loss in weight but maybe I'm just lazy, lol. It shouldn't weaken it that much if at all. Assuming drilled properly that is.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Blerv wrote:I recall seeing someone mill out the standard liners when the knife was first launched. Seems a ton of work for the minimal loss in weight but maybe I'm just lazy, lol. It shouldn't weaken it that much if at all. Assuming drilled properly that is.
I think that was a GB. I agree...it was a ton of work...I would not think it was worth the trouble.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Havent handled a sprint manix, but I have the standard one and it doesnt feel as heavy as the specs say. The manix is balanced, with the point right over your first finger.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

I personally like the unmilled liners. I'm not particular when it comes to having the lightest possible package in a knife, and I like that there are no holes in the liner for dirt to get caught in, making knife cleaning a breeze.

That being said, I cannot see any reason not to drill them out yourself if you so desire (other than voiding the warranty).
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I like the solid liners as well. I can't answer your question about the sturdiness with any certainty but it would seem to me that a solid piece of steel would be stronger than a piece of steel with a bunch of holes drilled into it, with just a skeleton of the liner remaining. But then again, what do I know? :o
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It depends on how. If properly your losing negligible strength for the weight. A lined knife is much sturdier than a non-lined, full vs vested vs drilled is like a battle of supercars, IMHO.

The supported pivot seems the main perk. I could be wrong but it's amazing what a single roll bar does to a car's chassis. Though, with my lack of tangible knowledge I avoid drinking and Dremeling :p .
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Jay_Ev wrote:I like the solid liners as well. I can't answer your question about the sturdiness with any certainty but it would seem to me that a solid piece of steel would be stronger than a piece of steel with a bunch of holes drilled into it, with just a skeleton of the liner remaining. But then again, what do I know? :o
Honestly, you shouldnt be putting so much stress on your folder that you need to worry about your liners failing. And even if you did, the lock and or pivot will fail first. Im sure the manix 2 isnt milled for cost reasons, nothing more.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

It wasn't as much a question of doing it, it was more a question of why. The Manix is by far my fav (6 and counting). I was just curious as to why the sprints had different liners. The balance on the Manix is great. But the sprints seem to feel, well, I don't know but better? I had speculated that the reduced weight of the skeletonized liners worked better with the FFG blade? Is there much of a weight difference from the saber grind to the FFG? Again, just pure speculation. I enjoy understanding more about the tools I enjoy so much.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Cost.

The Manix2 and Para2 use a modified msrp model which I believe allows them to be even further competitive price wise. The M2 at $70 +/- is a stupidly good value. Most other knives made in America have FRN or alum scales and lockbacks.

Strength and ease of cleaning are perks. Kind of like wearing a race helmet makes you look and feel cool ;) .
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

Blerv wrote:Kind of like wearing a race helmet makes you look and feel cool ;) .
So what are you trying to say? :p

Donut

Post by Donut »

If you look at how the Manix 2 Skeletonized liners are skeletonized, I don't think you will be able to manage that by hand. They are almost all hole.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!