Military 2 ???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Igi964

Military 2 ???

Post by Igi964 »

What do you think about the idea of Military2?
I mean when they use the same principle of CQI as with the Paramilitary,that could only help.Just look how this small improvments help to made the Para2 one of the best knives ever made.When they improve the handle and the choil ergonomy,use the new bushing pivot system,put a four way pocket clip,larger screws, larger lanyard hole and maybe a new lock system (Compression,Ball Bearing or Bolt Action lock) that must be a homerun.I think the change of the locking system will causes the most controversy.I don´t like liner lock and frame lock,because I simply do not like the "feel of being cut each time I close the blade" :mad: and thats why I suggest to change the lock.Let me know what do you think about it.
Johann

Post by Johann »

I think the only real improvement I'd like to see would be larger handle screws.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I'm open to a Military2. I trust Sal and company will make changes that improve on an already outstanding design. Still, I suspect you are right when you suggest that many will not like the changes, but this is probably always the case. I'm looking forward to a Military2, especially if it has 4-way options for mounting the clip.
mdsmith

Post by mdsmith »

SQSAR wrote: I'm looking forward to a Military2, especially if it has 4-way options for mounting the clip.
+1. I would hope that they would stick with the liner lock though.
--Matt--
Donut

Post by Donut »

It has been mentioned that the Military 2 is set to use the Stop Lock, which so far is new to everyone.
Igi964 wrote:I don´t like liner lock and frame lock,because I simply do not like the "feel of being cut each time I close the blade" :mad: and thats why I suggest to change the lock.Let me know what do you think about it.
What I think about it is that you are doing something wrong!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Last we heard they're still pre-prototype. No idea how long it will be, in the meantime enjoy the sprint runs. ;)
—Daniel Jackson
OverkiLL

Post by OverkiLL »

4-way clip is all it really needs!
Delica4 PE (stone wash) | Delica4 FFG Brown PE | Endura4 Foliage Green CE | Endura4 ZDP-189 SE | Civilian SE | Manix2 M4 | Caly 3.5 Super Blue | Tasman Salt PE | Matriarch2 SE | Para-Military2 M390 | DoDo S30V PE
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

OverkiLL wrote:4-way clip is all it really needs!
I pretty much agree. IMO, the Military 1 is a much better knife than the Paramilitary 1 was. The Para 1 is nice, but had plenty of room for ergonomic improvements and design refinements. The Military could use a 4-way clip, and maybe some beefing up of the screws, etc. But, it's pretty darn great as it is.
:bug-red-white
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

gbelleh wrote:I pretty much agree. IMO, the Military 1 is a much better knife than the Paramilitary 1 was. The Para 1 is nice, but had plenty of room for ergonomic improvements and design refinements. The Military could use a 4-way clip, and maybe some beefing up of the screws, etc. But, it's pretty darn great as it is.
Agreed, it doesnt need much. The screws and the lanyard hole need to be bigger. Dont change anything to the ergonomics, its already awesome. If they do it better be subtle changes. The liner lock is great. Its simple and strong.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

I just got into the military series and truthfully would not be upset if a military 2 was never even released.. that's how nice this knife already is.. but ya, if they can implement those subtle tweaks that made the para 2 so sweet, then this can be the be all end all of folder knives.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IIRC, the Military 2 is still a good ways out and Sal has mentioned producing both it and the current Military simultaneously, at least for a while when it is released. I think that's a smart move. The Military has been undergoing CQI since it first came out and it has a large an loyal following. I would imagine many of them will feel that changing to a totally different lock will make it a different knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BAL

Post by BAL »

Below is a copy of a post by Sal on February 7, 2011 in regards to a Military 2.

02-07-2011, 02:43 PM
sal
Spyderco Forum Registered User Join Date: Sep 2004

Hi Seventynine,

We have had the Military on the design board for quite some time now. We've adapted a new lock for (stop-lock) and it's been in engineering. Then we'll make any ergo and clip adjustments and bring out a "2" model. Don't know yet if we'll use the new pivot bushing on the new Military.

We only have one engineer and Eric and I are responsible for the designs. While we also use outside designers, and we have Michael Janich in-house, the workload for so many models is often high.

I don't think we'll disco the original model when the new model comes out.

sal
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

Igi964 wrote:What do you think about the idea of Military2?
I mean when they use the same principle of CQI as with the Paramilitary,that could only help.Just look how this small improvments help to made the Para2 one of the best knives ever made.When they improve the handle and the choil ergonomy,use the new bushing pivot system,put a four way pocket clip,larger screws, larger lanyard hole and maybe a new lock system (Compression,Ball Bearing or Bolt Action lock) that must be a homerun.I think the change of the locking system will causes the most controversy.I don´t like liner lock and frame lock,because I simply do not like the "feel of being cut each time I close the blade" :mad: and thats why I suggest to change the lock.Let me know what do you think about it.
I wouldn't like the feel of being cut each time I close a blade either. If that's what's happening, it's way past time to consider why it's happening. :confused: This isn't a matter of lock-type, as even a slipjoint will not cut the user who keeps within its limits.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:IIRC, the Military 2 is still a good ways out and Sal has mentioned producing both it and the current Military simultaneously, at least for a while when it is released. I think that's a smart move. The Military has been undergoing CQI since it first came out and it has a large an loyal following. I would imagine many of them will feel that changing to a totally different lock will make it a different knife.

I think it absolutely does make it a different knife...just look at the Sage line. Personally i'm all about this stop lock...liner locks aren't my favorite. If the Military had a compression lock i probably would've bought one by now.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
KBR

Post by KBR »

Evil D wrote:.......If the Military had a compression lock......
IMO, the nested linerlock design is great as is, but a Compression Lock Military would definitely have my interest..... :D
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I love the Military and every time the Milie2 gets mentioned, I always have the same answer;

I wouldn't change a thing.

I like that the clip can't be changed, I don't want holes all over my handle. Tip-down is the best, easiest and fastest way to open the knife. Spyder-dropping for the win.

New lock? Maybe. As long as its vastly an improvement. If it takes longer to close, forget it, I'm not interested, unless, like I said, its a vast improvement in strength.

The handle fits me just fine. I have large hands, and even when wearing gloves, love the handle.

I guess this is jut my personal tastes, but so far, I've yet to find a knife that I care more for than the Military.

I butchered two rabbits the other night with mine to make some delicious Stifado (Greek onion stew)!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

HotSoup wrote:I love the Military and every time the Milie2 gets mentioned, I always have the same answer;

I wouldn't change a thing.

I like that the clip can't be changed, I don't want holes all over my handle. Tip-down is the best, easiest and fastest way to open the knife. Spyder-dropping for the win.

New lock? Maybe. As long as its vastly an improvement. If it takes longer to close, forget it, I'm not interested, unless, like I said, its a vast improvement in strength.

The handle fits me just fine. I have large hands, and even when wearing gloves, love the handle.

I guess this is jut my personal tastes, but so far, I've yet to find a knife that I care more for than the Military.

I butchered two rabbits the other night with mine to make some delicious Stifado (Greek onion stew)!
As I see it, there are four major considerations with a new lock. Ease of opening, ease of closing, weight, and ambidexterity. While I'm no fan of handed locks, a nested liner lock is hard to beat on the first two, and **** near impossible to beat on the third. It only loses points on the fourth and, at least for those members of the right handed majority too short sighted to think they may ever need to "go lefty" for a while, the last doesn't matter.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
vito72

Post by vito72 »

@Igi964
Donut wrote:It has been mentioned that the Military 2 is set to use the Stop Lock, which so far is new to everyone.

What I think about it is that you are doing something wrong!
Are you serious?
Never had a problem with military. The best knife in the market.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

The other thing is the military is so balanced in my hand. It feels like an extension of my hand. Its big, but its light too. Switching between grips in hand are easy. Its like the knife is sitting on a pivot connected to your hand. The balance point is also right over your first finger, which I also love about my manix 2 and para 2. My g10 endura is around the same weight as the military, yet they feel totally different because their balance points are different. This makes the endura feel heavier. I have no doubt spyderco will do right with the military 2, but balance is another that makes the military so great in my eyes.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
chewy667

Post by chewy667 »

I just scored my first military. It's an old one, ATS-34 and it's fully serrated. I can't tell you how much I love it. I got it used and its all scratched up, but it's BADASS! It kicked my Para 2 out of my pocket.