Whats the preferred way to deploy your Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

KardinalSyn wrote:My aim was to understand better how everyone opened the blade. It could be in relation to any given situation, self defense, food prep or a routine task like opening mail. I have about four methods now figured out for the Para2.

I also consider the comments on stresses caused on the knife when using some methods and the common sense comments valuable.

Though I do not wish to create any heated debates, I would welcome your feedback. I am respectful of everyone's comments and would appreciate everyone's understanding on hearing a fellow members viewpoint. All in the good spyderco spirit.
Oh no worries, just trying to understand the question completely :) . Internet debates and conversations will wander and that's ok. Even when you TRY your best things will run amok.

Typically I believe people associate "deploy" with a tactical or urgent situation. We all have different methods depending on urgency. It's a good conversation regardless.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

It's okay Blerv. I understand your point and true, I should have toned it down a lot more by saying whats your preferred way to open your Spyderco.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
BAL

Post by BAL »

eneyman wrote:I like to do it with my middle finger
I have a problem occasionally with my thumb splitting open especially when working in the cold on the farm. I recently have been working on the middle finger flick open and it actually works quite nice on several knives. I really don't like to continuously flick a knife open, but it is a nice method to practice and to have at your disposal if needed.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I must try that.

Any one know of any models that can be opened using induced momentum? Just using the weight of the blade to open the knife by flicking your wrist or hand whilst holding the handle. No, I am not talking about the balisong knife opening.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KardinalSyn wrote:I must try that.

Any one know of any models that can be opened using induced momentum? Just using the weight of the blade to open the knife by flicking your wrist or hand whilst holding the handle. No, I am not talking about the balisong knife opening.
Endura 4(SG), Manix 2, Yo 2, Para 2. Just from what I have tried. I'm sure there's more.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I use the Chuck Norris technique. I simply look at the knife and it knows it better open. :D
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Endura 4(SG), Manix 2, Yo 2, Para 2. Just from what I have tried. I'm sure there's more.
It's not the Spydie drop.

I can't seem to do so on Para2 or Endura4. What's the movement angle that you use and where do you hold the handle at?
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

enduraguy wrote:I use the Chuck Norris technique. I simply look at the knife and it knows it better open. :D
Lol. Nice one.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

KardinalSyn wrote:I can't seem to do so on Para2 or Endura4. What's the movement angle that you use and where do you hold the handle at?
I LOVE doing this with my Para2s. I hold the knife with the blade parallel to the ground in my right hand. Then I pinch the compression lock between my thumb and forefinger and gently flick my wrist. The blade glides right out into battery and I release the lock. You can reverse this for a one-handed closing motion as well.

You do have to be careful, though. If you give it a hard FLICK, the blade can deploy and bounce off the stop pin, partially closing again. Good way to get a nasty cut. Gentle and controlled is the name of the game.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thanks phillipsted. I finally managed to get the Endura to open this way. Cant wait to try it out on the Para2.
BAL

Post by BAL »

phillipsted wrote:I LOVE doing this with my Para2s. I hold the knife with the blade parallel to the ground in my right hand. Then I pinch the compression lock between my thumb and forefinger and gently flick my wrist. The blade glides right out into battery and I release the lock. You can reverse this for a one-handed closing motion as well.

You do have to be careful, though. If you give it a hard FLICK, the blade can deploy and bounce off the stop pin, partially closing again. Good way to get a nasty cut. Gentle and controlled is the name of the game.

TedP
Agree with you on the Para 2, Ted, it is the smoothest knife that I have and you can do numeroust opening's with it. I do have a silly little cut on my finger though, while practicing in the bathroom (don't ask) Actually, I like to practice here and there, whenever I get a chance and people look at you funny if you are just walking along flicking a knife open, or standing at the copy machine drop sliding a Millie.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

KardinalSyn wrote:It's not the Spydie drop.

I can't seem to do so on Para2 or Endura4. What's the movement angle that you use and where do you hold the handle at?
Inertia opening is technique and speed/strength more than knife. I could hardly do a Manix2 at first and now my Cento3 is doable. Even with an easy knife it's not guaranteed or faster than a good thumb open, IMO.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Blerv wrote:Inertia opening is technique and speed/strength more than knife. I could hardly do a Manix2 at first and now my Cento3 is doable. Even with an easy knife it's not guaranteed or faster than a good thumb open, IMO.
Good to know. Getting the hang of this kinda opening with the Endura and Para2. Had an accident and cut me self when the wife came out of nowhere whilst practicing with the latter.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Heres a quick video I made to clear up any confusion about deployment methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbWk8bxT ... ature=plcp

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DbWk8bxTHO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

For its kind, this thread has stayed admirably civil.

Most of the stuff I cut doesn't run from me or at me, so I'm content to put the fat of my thumb in the Spydie hole and ease the blade around until it clicks.

At home, where I will cause neither discomfort to others nor embarrassment to myself, I do practice thumb-flicks, Spydie-drops, and inertial-openings (fun video, Rwb1500), all as part of the general fondling that Spydies seem to demand.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

wrdwrght wrote:For its kind, this thread has stayed admirably civil.

Most of the stuff I cut doesn't run from me or at me, so I'm content to put the fat of my thumb in the Spydie hole and ease the blade around until it clicks.

At home, where I will cause neither discomfort to others nor embarrassment to myself, I do practice thumb-flicks, Spydie-drops, and inertial-openings (fun video, Rwb1500), all as part of the general fondling that Spydies seem to demand.
Lol, thank you. One does run the risk of embarrassing themselves with such flamboyant knife flickery though, as the end of that video so clearly illustrates. :D

On another note I dropped that Tasman Salt into the toilet the other day because I was playing with it whilst urinating... No video of that thankfully. :o
Vicinadp

Post by Vicinadp »

Tip Up is ideal but not a deal breaker for the knife. But on my cheaper spydies Ive ghetto waved them. Normally I just do the middle finger flick. Most of the time it not for tactility, I just think that method is cool and fun. For knives that are easy to deploy like my Benchmade Griptilian, Sage 1 and 3 I use a wrist flick and blade usually. Grip and Sage 3 I just pull the lock down and they just fly open with the slightest force.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

wrdwrght wrote:For its kind, this thread has stayed admirably civil.

True, I've had superb feedback from everyone. Just goes to show that this is a forum with some super cool guys and gals.

The classic opening is best I suppose. Allowing the knife to work the way it is supposed to. I am glad though that the folks at Spyderco gave so much thought to design and performance standards. I got my first Para2 with much doubt on whether I would like the compression lock as much as I do back locks and since I do not like liner locks. It was a good gamble and I just like the added opening options a compression lock allows me.

I hope that you will never have to face a situation where you need to cut something that runs at you.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Rwb1500 wrote:Lol, thank you. One does run the risk of embarrassing themselves with such flamboyant knife flickery though, as the end of that video so clearly illustrates. :D

On another note I dropped that Tasman Salt into the toilet the other day because I was playing with it whilst urinating... No video of that thankfully. :o
I also like to play with knives in the safe confines of a men's room. Away from the prying eyes of Sheeple.

Glad it was a Tasman Salt. H1 rocks. Not gonna ask you how you cleaned your knife though. :)
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Vicinadp wrote:Tip Up is ideal but not a deal breaker for the knife. But on my cheaper spydies Ive ghetto waved them. Normally I just do the middle finger flick. Most of the time it not for tactility, I just think that method is cool and fun. For knives that are easy to deploy like my Benchmade Griptilian, Sage 1 and 3 I use a wrist flick and blade usually. Grip and Sage 3 I just pull the lock down and they just fly open with the slightest force.
Wrist flicked openings are great. It's something I have found myself doing a lot lately. The middle finger flick, I need to practice a lot more.