Whats the preferred way to deploy your Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

It depends... The most fun way to open a spyderco knife is unlocking the ball bearing lock and wrist flick it open. (i only have a poliwog with this mechanism)

If a Spyderco has a linerlock then i use the spydie hole. The opening can be done lightning fast.

I also like a flipper. Like on my Böker turbine leo damast special run. Spyderco is also working on a flipper...
mrrampro

Post by mrrampro »

I love the fast flick especially on a smooth operator like the pm2
:spyder:'s
Police SS, 2 x Endura, 2 x Delica, Sage 3, Caly 3.5,
2 x Tenacious, Persistance, Ladybug H-1, Salt 1,
J.D. Smith, Centefonte 3, 3 x Cara Cara, Robin SS
And my fav the Para 2!!!!!!!!
Simper Fi
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Normally opening the knife with the thumbhole nice and smoothly or if there are people around two handed.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thanks guys. I am not familiar with th ball bearing lock yet but soon will be. Cant wait till I get the Manix XL.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I did not know about the Reverse Ringer method. Just learnt about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjaLQdk8vjs

Gonna go home and try it out. Must be careful not to let the knife fall down on me :D
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i carry my Delica tip up and mostly do the thump to the spydie hole but if **** hits the fan ill do the flick of the blade which gets peoples attention faster than youd believe.

ill leave it at that.....
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

The middle finger. My personal favorite.

Here is a video about the compression lock and why it's so fun.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YQMq2HLJ29s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQMq2HLJ ... ature=plcp
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Definitely the middle finger flick from the backside. I can also use my pointer finger for a backside flick on the larger spydies like the Millie and manix 2.
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
rg02

Post by rg02 »

KardinalSyn wrote:I must try that.

Any one know of any models that can be opened using induced momentum? Just using the weight of the blade to open the knife by flicking your wrist or hand whilst holding the handle. No, I am not talking about the balisong knife opening.
I can do this with my assist and sage 3......
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

rg02 wrote:Definitely the middle finger flick from the backside. I can also use my pointer finger for a backside flick on the larger spydies like the Millie and manix 2.
I like it because I'll do it and people look at me like I opened a switch blade, or used my mind to open the knife. :D
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

For the Tuff, I prefer to use the thumbs fleshy side rather than the nail. Reason being when I use the thumbnail to open the Tuff, my nail gets an arc mark from the pressure applied. Also, on the nail side, my skin has sorta peeled off. I like the effort I have to make to open the Tuff. Practice makes perfect :)
paladin

Post by paladin »

My preferred method of deployment is to slowly tuck my right hand into the front elasic band of my pocketless orange mesh gym shorts while saying " 'Scuse me ladies while I whip out my Stretch :spyder: " :eek: in my best Clevon Little ( Blazing Saddles ) impersonation voice. How's that for socially acceptable? ;)
paladin

Post by paladin »

BTW...that quote works good if your EDC is a Mannix XL, also. :D
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

I simply use the standard thumb opening 90% of the time. Safety, my safety, is the primary reason.

I have several favorites, and they are all different. Sometimes I play around with them, but I have to watch out. Any time I played with one long enough for muscle memory to take over, then pick up another, I usually get bit. When I switch to a longer/shorter one, or tip up/tip down, or a different type of lock, muscle memory from the last knife gets in the way. I guess if I always used the same knife it would work out, but that's no fun.

A slower thumb opening is usually safer. And if needed, it's only a fraction of a second slower. Besides, if my situational awareness is working correctly, I already have it open and held next to my leg. By then, I have turned around and am heading out of the area.

A wise man on this forum said (and I paraphrase) "the knife fight you avoid is the knife fight you win".
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1