Whats the preferred way to deploy your Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thanks -F1. I come from a country where the law is not clearly defined. Knives are carried by many, mainly due to trade (fish mongers, fruit sellers and even the odd junk collector). There are also knives that border on sword type or machete type sizes. Needless to say, people do get hacked to death sometimes. Oddly enough, these cases do not get much publicity and there is no new regulation coming in either. Say for example if the government declares a blade length limit of 3", that will put many people out Of their jobs. However, I know the cops here will confiscate my Para2 right away if it's seen.

Thanks to some of the inputs here, I was playing around with the Para2 and learned a good slow and steady way to open the blade with the index finger. Right hand index finger in the spyder hole whilst the thumb holds the knife at the top and the pinky holds the bottom part. Slowly pushing the blade open with index finger until the blade jimping on the back comes to rest on my thumb. Other three fingers grasp the handle as blade opens out.

I am very happy with the options available to open the Para2.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

jackknifeh wrote:The problem is being within the law in so many places now. I called my local cops a few years ago to find out what a blade legal length was. They didn't know and were amused that I was concerned enough to call about it.
I called my county sheriff's office the other day. I got transferred twice and ended up talking to a sergeant who wasn't sure but didn't know of any length restriction.

I also emailed my city police recently, and (hilariously) they claimed I needed a carry permit for the knife--which ended up being false. In any case, I stay in my local area 99.9% of the time so there's no complications for me in this regard.
The Deacon wrote:Just because something is not illegal does not make it socially acceptable and engaging in socially unacceptable behavior just because you can get away with it is generally considered to be a sign of immaturity.

I consider myself to be a knife person, but I can tell you that the sight of a stranger suddenly whipping out 3.5" blade will put me on the defensive, while someone calmly driving past me within the speed limit will not.
I will try not to be offended by the implication that I am "immature". I don't consider myself immature; I just have my own ideas of what should bother people. There are lots of things that are "socially unacceptable" that shouldn't be, and lots of things that used to be but aren't anymore. I find it hard to believe that any reasonable person would be put off if I were to pull out my Stretch in a normal fashion, in a place where there weren't very many people, while I was clearly focusing on a particular task where I needed to use it. We're not talking about pulling it out in the middle of a store, then holding it in the air while screaming. But if I'm, say, loading stuff in my trunk, and need to open a box for some reason to facilitate that, I am going to use it, and if that's "socially unacceptable", then let's all just melt down our blades right now and turn them into socially-acceptable spoons.

Maybe thinking for yourself is a sign of maturity?
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

I've been accused of being paranoid, that being said i open my knives slow with the spyderhole . I just think that too many fast openings on a knife will cause strain on the locks, and cause blade play, and yea all you haft to do is tighten the pivot screw,but i have a relationship with my knives. I may just be carrying a regular ol endura but thats my endura and i bond with them, and yes I could replace the knife but it wouldnt be the same knife ya know. So call me paranoid or lame but for me its jus slow deliberate openings.
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

I will try not to be offended by the implication that I am "immature". I don't consider myself immature; I just have my own ideas of what should bother people. There are lots of things that are "socially unacceptable" that shouldn't be, and lots of things that used to be but aren't anymore. I find it hard to believe that any reasonable person would be put off if I were to pull out my Stretch in a normal fashion, in a place where there weren't very many people, while I was clearly focusing on a particular task where I needed to use it. We're not talking about pulling it out in the middle of a store, then holding it in the air while screaming. But if I'm, say, loading stuff in my trunk, and need to open a box for some reason to facilitate that, I am going to use it, and if that's "socially unacceptable", then let's all just melt down our blades right now and turn them into socially-acceptable spoons.

Maybe thinking for yourself is a sign of maturity?[/QUOTE]

Some people are gonna get offended over anything. The best thing is to know your local laws and be responsible even if the laws are vague like they are here in Alabama. We can carry autos, Big folders , the law says as long as its not a "bowie type knife over 11 inches "it can be carried. i got in a big folder phase a few months ago and bout a few folders with over 5 inch blades and i edced them. I actually have used the XL voyager in Wal-mart and nobody even looked at me.IM NOT SAYING to go out and do that, I'm saying i needed to cut something and i had a big knife on me and i used it. I'm a young guy, I'm 25 but dont look it,(what i get told). I have used knives in public my whole life in all shapes and sizes and have never had anyone make a comment other than, O cool knife what kind is that? or Bad *** dude whered you get that. That being said i also carry a pistol concealed on me everywhere i go, Theres a certain amount of responsibility when you decide to carry a gun and or knife. Like i said I'm young but i carry myself in a way that people dont look at me as some thug, or punk kid whos gonna stab them with a knife. At least around where i live if you pull out a knife to use and arent waving it around and acting responsible people will leave you be. I kinda rambled but point of the post is I've carried a pocket knife for years, my dad gave me my first buck at 5 years old, and I've carried and used my knives everywhere. My daddy taught me at a young age that a knife was a tool and if i ever threatened or tried to hurt anything with mine it would be taken away and I'da got my tail blistered, and i guess it was that that stuck with me, goes back to the responsibility you have when you carry, just stay within the laws, and use your knife for its purpose and you should be ok. nSorry for the rambling
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

-F1 wrote:I don't worry about what people think, as long as I'm within the law. As long as it's the right blade in the right place and I'm not menacing anyone with it, they need to get over it. If people were to think rationally, they'd be more frightened of that 4,000-pound vehicle I drive, not a knife with a 3.5" blade.
This type of attitude and thinking does nothing to help our cause. This is why so many people view us knife users with trepidation and a raised eyebrow.

I'm not part of the crowd that needs to open my knife in 0.000001 seconds. I just use the tried and true thumb in Spyderhole, rotate blade open until it locks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Jay_Ev wrote:This type of attitude and thinking does nothing to help our cause. This is why so many people view us knife users with trepidation and a raised eyebrow.

I'm not part of the crowd that needs to open my knife in 0.000001 seconds. I just use the tried and true thumb in Spyderhole, rotate blade open until it locks.
I'm with F1 on this one... I have better things to be worried about than whether my preferred method of opening a pocket knife worries people. As long as I am not engaging in criminal behavior or recklessly misusing the tool, they can wring their hands all they want. Fact is, catering to people who have that sort of issue is a waste of time. A great many of them aren't "NKP" at all, they are anti-knife people. They don't care how you open your spyderco... or whether you have a good reason to open it... or whether a knife makes your life even one iota easier. They just don't want you to carry one. A certain type of person expects the world to conform to their perspectives on all things... if they don't like guns, knives, cigarettes, or bacon... they will seek to legislate a ban on the item(s) they disapprove of as a method to control other people. If your "cause" is relieving these people of worry... it is doomed to failure. Until that knife is out of your pocket, they won't stop being busybodies. While you HAVE a pocketknife, they will insinuate that you are a criminal whether you are following the strictures of the law or not... and seek to increase said strictures until that becomes the case. It is making compromises with this type of individual that has caused gun/knife law to be the muddled mess that it is now in the first place.

Aaaand rant off :p .

More to the point, I tend to use a "traditional" opening... thumb in the hole, smooth rotation until the blade locks. When I'm screwing around with a knife (in a place where it is socially acceptable to do such a thing), I'll spydie drop to my hearts content... but when I need to cut something, the old school opening seems to be the fastest, most reliable route. I tried to zip tie method years ago when I first heard about it... but I really prefer tip down carry for safety reasons, and you can't really do that in that orientation.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

I usually do the Thumbnail Flick to open mine. My knives open real fast for me that way. If I'm going to open my knife in public I'll do the slow one-handed thumb open.
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Why would you get offended? Deacon brought up a counter-point and never directly attributed you to it. :confused:

Your statement quoted by Jay gave me the same impression. Perhaps you should care less what people think or practice convincing them to agree.

Waved or wave-mods are certainly a way to carry a knife. You can still open it slowly (which I'm sure F1 does regularly). Aggressive deployment in general isn't great on your knife like redlining isn't great for your engine; it just adds more wear and tear. There is a time and place for everything.

Edit: on second read Paul was being direct. Still in the grand scheme of dialogue (especially on the net) it was very low impact :) . Typicially saying people have to get over their fears is un-empathetic and paints the proposer in this case a reckless. With legislation trying to shut down the knife movement at every turn civi responsibility is a VERY hot topic.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

-F1 wrote:I will try not to be offended by the implication that I am "immature". I don't consider myself immature; I just have my own ideas of what should bother people. There are lots of things that are "socially unacceptable" that shouldn't be, and lots of things that used to be but aren't anymore. I find it hard to believe that any reasonable person would be put off if I were to pull out my Stretch in a normal fashion, in a place where there weren't very many people, while I was clearly focusing on a particular task where I needed to use it. We're not talking about pulling it out in the middle of a store, then holding it in the air while screaming. But if I'm, say, loading stuff in my trunk, and need to open a box for some reason to facilitate that, I am going to use it, and if that's "socially unacceptable", then let's all just melt down our blades right now and turn them into socially-acceptable spoons.

Sometimes, sometimes not. What you describe here is reasonable behavior. Your earlier post, on the other hand, came across as implying that you felt it was ok to whip out your knife as fast as you can, whenever you please, regardless of circumstance, as long as was legal to do so. Quite a difference. Sort of like the difference between listening to music at full volume with headphones and having your car stereo so loud that someone three cars back can hear it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

I like to do it with my middle finger
r small

Post by r small »

I can open any of my Spydies, from my Dragonfly to my Endura, using the thumbhole with a smooth non-rushed action, in a second or less. Quick, easy, and safe. I don't understand this business of flicking the knives open. Seems like it would put more wear on the lock and would make NKP uneasy. Plus it just seems like hotdogging or showboating to me.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Jackknifeh, I don't want to derail the thread, but you stated the legal limit in Fl is 3 inches.......not true. Many leo's do not know the answers. Fl knife laws are some of the most relaxed in the country. Fl has no restrictions on a common pocket knife......get it? ;) don't take my word look up Fl State Statutes chapter 790.......take care and God Bless.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Ok the thread is about speed of deployment. 2nd to a wave...a Spydie drop is fast....so is a inertia opening via a flick of the wrist once blade clears pocket. Cannot speak for the Yo2, but the Yo1 is blazing fast with this method. If speed was an issue, I want to yank and go...even with a folder(this is where most add in the fix blade or gun moniker). Now the surest......probably why Spyderco sits at the top of the production committee....pull the knife out with your thumb finding tha :D t big oval circle and......whalah! Its really magic! :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spydie drop most of the time unless it's a smaller knife that i carry tip up, then i just use my thumb. No mall ninja moves beyond that for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thanks everyone for your comments. The additional input is appreciated but try to include as much info on the type of knife you EDC and the preferred opening method for the readers benefit (including my own).
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
graf_zero

Post by graf_zero »

I do spyderdrop in public - with a S07 Police. I do it so the knife will be hidden in my palm - just a part of blade exposed. No need to brandish.

BTW. I've read that in "tactical" :) situation it is prefered to open folder two handed. because 100% sure "stress-resistant" opening is much more important than that fraction of a second difference.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Allen R. wrote:I will try not to be offended by the implication that I am "immature". I don't consider myself immature; I just have my own ideas of what should bother people. There are lots of things that are "socially unacceptable" that shouldn't be, and lots of things that used to be but aren't anymore. I find it hard to believe that any reasonable person would be put off if I were to pull out my Stretch in a normal fashion, in a place where there weren't very many people, while I was clearly focusing on a particular task where I needed to use it. We're not talking about pulling it out in the middle of a store, then holding it in the air while screaming. But if I'm, say, loading stuff in my trunk, and need to open a box for some reason to facilitate that, I am going to use it, and if that's "socially unacceptable", then let's all just melt down our blades right now and turn them into socially-acceptable spoons.

Some people are gonna get offended over anything. The best thing is to know your local laws and be responsible even if the laws are vague like they are here in Alabama. We can carry autos, Big folders , the law says as long as its not a "bowie type knife over 11 inches "it can be carried. i got in a big folder phase a few months ago and bout a few folders with over 5 inch blades and i edced them. I actually have used the XL voyager in Wal-mart and nobody even looked at me.IM NOT SAYING to go out and do that, I'm saying i needed to cut something and i had a big knife on me and i used it. I'm a young guy, I'm 25 but dont look it,(what i get told). I have used knives in public my whole life in all shapes and sizes and have never had anyone make a comment other than, O cool knife what kind is that? or Bad *** dude whered you get that. That being said i also carry a pistol concealed on me everywhere i go, Theres a certain amount of responsibility when you decide to carry a gun and or knife. Like i said I'm young but i carry myself in a way that people dont look at me as some thug, or punk kid whos gonna stab them with a knife. At least around where i live if you pull out a knife to use and arent waving it around and acting responsible people will leave you be. I kinda rambled but point of the post is I've carried a pocket knife for years, my dad gave me my first buck at 5 years old, and I've carried and used my knives everywhere. My daddy taught me at a young age that a knife was a tool and if i ever threatened or tried to hurt anything with mine it would be taken away and I'da got my tail blistered, and i guess it was that that stuck with me, goes back to the responsibility you have when you carry, just stay within the laws, and use your knife for its purpose and you should be ok. nSorry for the rambling

Nice comments Allen, and your Dad is a good man.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

By "deploy" is the intent speed or defense purposes? It sounds like the intent of this thread is asking our general way of opening a knife from the pocket. If that's the case the standard heated thread on defense speed might not even be necessary.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Blerv wrote:By "deploy" is the intent speed or defense purposes? It sounds like the intent of this thread is asking our general way of opening a knife from the pocket. If that's the case the standard heated thread on defense speed might not even be necessary.
My aim was to understand better how everyone opened the blade. It could be in relation to any given situation, self defense, food prep or a routine task like opening mail. I have about four methods now figured out for the Para2.

I also consider the comments on stresses caused on the knife when using some methods and the common sense comments valuable.

Though I do not wish to create any heated debates, I would welcome your feedback. I am respectful of everyone's comments and would appreciate everyone's understanding on hearing a fellow members viewpoint. All in the good spyderco spirit.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »