Manbug Pics!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'll take ZDP in anything meant to slice :)

Ps: cts-XHP is American steel and these are made in Japan. Same drill as always.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

INFRNL wrote:Crap, I just realized how small this knife is...what the heck was I thinking. Guess I will have to see when the G-10/bolster manbug arrives....already preordered. I did'nt think it was going to be so tiny and I never knew how big the ladybug was till I got my hawkbill salt last week. I guess it will be a nice addition to the tiny family.

I will have the LB HB Salt, CF Balance, and g-10/bolster manbug
I know what you mean about it being small. My son ordered one about a year ago and I was there when he opened the box. We both just looked at it, then at each other and gave a little giggle. Now though he says he uses it all the time. It's on his keys and he even pulled it out this past Christmas morning for an emergency package opening. :) Thank God he had the LB or he still wouldn't have the gift. :D I got the LB salt a little while ago mainly because I wanted to try H1 steel and like having it with me. I carry it attached to a small flashlight. I don't use it often but know it is more able than the size reflects. I would like to get the Manbug FRN model. I won't pay what the G-10 model costs just because I haven't had use of a tiny knife that often even though I'd love to have it. I don't know what your lifestyle or work is but for normal EDC the Ladybug will handle most of it. For me the Sage1 is the perfect EDC size but more times than not the LB would do the job. I think you are right though. You probably have enough tiny knives. :)

Jack
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

I really like it! Small yet sturdy.
:spyder: I don't mind going nowhere, as long as it's an interesting path. - Ronald Mabbitt
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I just placed a $10 pre-order for a G-10 Manbug on Howe's. Now I have a couple of questions I'd like to have had the answer to earlier. I think the pivot has a screw but are there screws holding the G-10 scales on the knife? If so I'd like to make some for the knife. Does anyone know the answer to this or should I contact Spyderco?

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Good question Jack...i'd like to know myself.

Also i think i smell a ZDP/Carbon fiber sprint in the future :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Evil D wrote:Good question Jack...i'd like to know myself.

Also i think i smell a ZDP/Carbon fiber sprint in the future :D
I emailed SFO about the screws/rivits and this was their reply;

Jack,

The G-10 Manbug is not available yet so we have not seen them here in the Factory Outlet Store yet. When we see them we will confirm if they are screw or pins but I’m pretty sure they are screw together construction.
***end reply***

I'm hoping they are screw together and may make some scales for the knife out of wood or different color G-10. I keep wanting to make scales for knives but by the time I get around to ordering the material my initial desire is gone and I don't do anything. Maybe I need to order some material so when I get a wild hair I already have stuff to work with. I think that's what my short-term motivation needs. :)

Jack
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Great pics!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I think the Manbug specs are wrong in the 1012 catalog. It looks like the "blade length" and "closed" measurements may be reversed. Anyone who has the knife, can you verify this?

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

sal wrote:I have almost always carried a Ladybug. A back up or for those times when you don't want to pull out a larger knife. In my shirt pocket, it's convenient when driving.

I felt that for larger cutting chores like cutting up boxes, I wanted a little more purchase for control. This meant a tad wider and thicker. I also wanted a full flat grind. For the types of things that I cut, it works better. A full flat would require a thicker stock lest it become too weak, hence the thicker blade.

Now I almost always have a Manbug with me. It has replaced the Ladybug. I'm ready for a ZDP Manbug.

sal
Sal,
Have you considered any other steel for the Manbug other than ZDP? Personally, I'd prefer S30V. Or, if you really wanted to make me happy, M4. :D Just my preference. For some reason I haven't had good luck with ZDP. I've used the Michael Walker, Stretch and Delica and haven't seen any better performance than M4 or S30V as far as edge retention. ZDP has a great following and I know it's a good steel, just not for me for some reason. I've had better performance with the other two steels than ZDP-189. I don't know why given the reports of just about everybody else. Anyway, we all stick to what works for us and I truely appreciate your use of so many great steels. From what I've seen in other company's knives the better steels are not the norm. The lesser quality steels (which are still very adequate) that Spyderco uses fill a smaller percentage of Spyderco's selection to satisy a desire for value knives.

Is there an estimate on when the G-10 Manbug will be released? You may have already said but I missed it.

Thanks,
Jack
PS edit: I just remembered your selections are based on other things like production location (country), etc. I have the Ladybug salt and am looking forward to the VG-10 and whatever else you release (except ZDP :) ). Thanks for great products.
BAL

Post by BAL »

jackknifeh wrote:I think the Manbug specs are wrong in the 1012 catalog. It looks like the "blade length" and "closed" measurements may be reversed. Anyone who has the knife, can you verify this?

Jack
I noticed that they were incorrect as well.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

jackknifeh wrote:I just placed a $10 pre-order for a G-10 Manbug on Howe's. Now I have a couple of questions I'd like to have had the answer to earlier. I think the pivot has a screw but are there screws holding the G-10 scales on the knife? If so I'd like to make some for the knife. Does anyone know the answer to this or should I contact Spyderco?

Jack
That was a quick change :p I am thinking it will be an all scrtew construction, but I may be totally wrong.
as far as specs, I recall seeing a lot of errors in their specs lately. They must not be proofing them. Hopefully we will have these in our hands soon :D
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was thinking more about the blade thickness issue with this knife, and it occurred to me that the Manbug's blade is the same thickness as the Dragonfly, and has just about the same amount of cutting edge. I've never heard anyone complain that the Dfly's blade is too thick or that it's a poor slicer....so why is it such a crime that the Manbug comes in at the same thickness?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

sal wrote:Hi Oopsindia,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Yes, there is a serrated version in-the-works. The first pieces were not up to spec.

I imagine someone could more quickly explain / show a bolster than I could.

sal
Being a hardcore LBK/SpyderEdge fan this is music to my ears :D
When I can save up for it (being unemployed at the moment and all:mad :) ,
this one might just kick my Case Peanut out of my pocket and bring me back to Spydies once again ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

ZDP or M4 would be really nice, XHP too, but.......

carbon fiber is a MUST!
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

kadinh wrote:ZDP or M4 would be really nice, XHP too, but.......
carbon fiber is a MUST!
Zdp is coming soon
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point