Spyderco under $60

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deal4

Spyderco under $60

Post by Deal4 »

Hi all,
I'm new to Spyderco, and I am in need of some advice. :)
As the thread states I am looking to pay something around $60 or less, and I would prefer less as this will be my first Spydi and am not rich!
I have looked at a number of knives and am hoping you can point me in the right direction.
I am a fan of full flat blades and want a knife that is around 2 1/2" approx.

I like the look of the Cat as I like liner locks.
I like the Dragonfly as well even though it is a lock back with FRN handle. (I prefer G10)
The Persistence is nice as well, but the steel isn't my favorite. But from all the reviews I have read, it most likely would be fine.

Could someone also explain why the Delica is so highly regarded? I like the looks of it, but it seems there are other Spydies that are nicer for about the same price or close. :eek:
I was also wondering how the Byrd line compares with the economy line? Would you recomend one over the other?
I'm sure I am sounding like a complete morron :o , but we all have to start somewhere!
Thanks for your patience with a noob like myself!

Shad (Deal4)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ton of questions which isn't a bad thing at all, but possibly 10 pages of info. ;)

The Delica is a very sophisticated model over 4 generations of features/ergonomic improvements. It's made by a great maker and uses great materials (vg10) with a nice execution (nested liners/FFG blade).

The Cat and Persistance steel wise are pretty on par. The F&F on the cat is much nice but should be for the price.

The Dfly is like an unlined mini Delica. You save a little money and about half the weight. Unlined knives are strong but have more lateral play without the solid anchor points (or as solid).

Edit: 440c is actually very corrosion resistant. Otherwise it and 8Cr13Mov are nice working steels when heat treated and sharpened well.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Get a Delica 4 ffg, like what was stated above and it sounds like its the perfect size. And thats why it is so loved, its a great size, weight, balance, good steel (vg10), good ergonomics, inexpensive, offered in many variations, etc. you want a spydie for under $60, imo theres non that beats the delica.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Thanks guys for the useful info and your patience! Yeah, that was a lot of questions for a single post. Sorry.
I have some time before I will be buying any one of these, so I thought I would try and learn as much as I can first.
I too like the Delica 4 with its FFG, but I wish I could find it in black. If not I may settle for the gray. I wish it had the wire clip as it would be less seen, but hey, you can't have everything.

I still like the look of the Cat and how you can choke up on it.
Any Cat owners out there that could give me any advice?
I can't get any knife right away, so I'm trying not to get too excited! :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My personal choice in that price range would be a Delica. However, if you like liner locks, I'd suggest going with the Cat.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

I think the Delica is a good allround size, is superbly manufactured and good value for the money. VG-10 is an excellent steel. Personally I also dig the fact that the FRN comes in fun colors and makes a fairly non-threatening knife. Check out the orange. It's a wicked color :D

Have you checked the Byrd product line yet? The provide very good value for the money. The BYRD RAVEN for examples features black G-10 handles and a liner lock.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

If your going to have only one knife out of the bunch, I would choose the delica.
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

I am leaning toward the Delica, but I really don't like the painted clip. I makes me think of a much cheaper knife.
I like the clip on the Cat or Dragonfly much better or maybe if the clip wasn't painted at all.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Delica or its big brother the Endura. The Native (not the higher priced Native 5) is a nice knife as well and the price is decent. The Tenacious is a great value knife as well, I have four. You'd be happy with the ffg delica though. Good luck, the shopping is part of the fun, enjoy. Anxious to see what your second one will be. ;)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Out of your list I would certainly take FFG Delica. It is a good size knife with good ergos and thin 2.5mm blade, which will make a very good slicer. Also I would advise to take a look at Centofante3. It looks good, I really like the handle with silver bug and with 2mm thickness of the blade it will outslice almost any spydie. You can find them on e-bay for under $50 shipped. It is very good EDC and very not knife people friendly.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

BAL wrote:Delica or its big brother the Endura. The Native (not the higher priced Native 5) is a nice knife as well and the price is decent. The Tenacious is a great value knife as well, I have four. You'd be happy with the ffg delica though. Good luck, the shopping is part of the fun, enjoy. Anxious to see what your second one will be. ;)
Bal is correct. My first Spydie was an all black Native plain edge in S30V and I paid less than $45. It was my favorite until I held and used the FFG D4. Now I own 5 of the Delicas and they are worth every penny.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Ok, so you are saying that Delica is as good if not better than the Native? (not refering to the Native 5)
I was thinking the Native was a more expensive knife than the Delica.
I do like the look of the Centofante3. Will have to check out some reviews! :D
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

Deal4 wrote:I am leaning toward the Delica, but I really don't like the painted clip. I makes me think of a much cheaper knife.
I like the clip on the Cat or Dragonfly much better or maybe if the clip wasn't painted at all.
You can always remove the coating on the clip or get you a stainless one. First knife? Gettin' your Spydie feet wet? The Delica is the way to go. You'll be glad you did.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Native is a solid choice while a tad chubbier than the Delica (except in weight as its liner less). The Cento3 is great. Neither of these are FFG but great slicers. The Manix2 Lightweight is a rad bigger and about $75 but worth considering. The Balance SS is a little smaller but might do it for you.

The Byrd knives are amazing tool and really only lack the higher end materials a mnd a certain finish that the Spyderco's possess. If you want a tool to use as a tool they are certainly worth considering. I'd prob pay a tad more and get something to cherish.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

I echo all the good sentiments about the Delica.

However, if you have a tight budget and want a good knife, the Byrd Meadowlark or Cara Cara will not disappoint. Even though I own two Delicas and Enduras, I'm very impressed with the like Byrd offerings. I'd even say I prefer the ergonomics of the Cara Cara over the Endura. The Endura has better steel and comes in nice colors and is worth the extra money. But if you buy and carry a Cara Cara you will not feel like you have a bad knife at all. You could order both a Meadowlark and Cara Cara and still spend less than ordering one Delica. That's what I'd do if my budget were tight.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Anything else under $60 that seems "nicer" will be made in China, not Japan. Nothing wrong with that, but that's probably what you're seeing. Delica is a timeless design. Get one and you'll figure it out ;) .

However, in that price range, I would get a Stretch or check the forums for a used Sage 1. Maybe a Delica wave.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I'd be lost without a Delica. I'm up to nine Spydies, (I just started, ok? :D )

I use my green FFG Delica 100x more than any other knife, even the beautiful and luxurious Sage 1, which is hard not to use;

MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

I know $60 is your limit, but if you can scrape up just a few more bucks.....
I just got an e-mail from Amazon advertising the U.S. made Manix 2 for $71,delivered.
I'm just sayin' :D .

(edit: just noticed that CutleryShoppe sells this for less than a dollar more, and will also ship free [w/code], so that'd be the way to go. )
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Go with the FFG Delica - you won't be disappointed. It is lightweight, ergonomic, a great slicer and easy on the wallet. If you are determined to get a low-profile clip, you can contact STR and he can make you a sleek, custom clip out of titanium.
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Deal4 wrote:I am leaning toward the Delica, but I really don't like the painted clip. I makes me think of a much cheaper knife.
Agreed. I like the wire clip better from a design perspective. The standard clip is very tough though. Didn't enjoy the black clip on my pink Delica4 either. But some paint remover took care of the black paint and now the clip is a nice, understated matte grey color. I intentionally left it unpolished and left some of the color in the spyder logo so it stands out a bit.

She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder: