The OFFICIAL Pygmy Warrior discussion thread...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markg

The OFFICIAL Pygmy Warrior discussion thread...

Post by markg »

OK, I thought saying "official" made it sound important... he he...

Anyway, super looking knife. What I like about it:

1.) It has the more "traditional" blade profile and "saw teeth" pattern of the earlier versions of this knife (lacking with the full sized Spyderco Warrior version). I get why Spyderco made the changes to the original, but still I like the lines of the Pygmy Warrior.

2.) Golden made... This should get the cost down. I love my Warrior, but the H1 Japanese manufacture made it pretty pricey.

3.) And could this mean... Could it? We might see a full production version of the folding Hobbit in the future? That would be amazing.

Thanks again Spyderco for reproducing this knife, and I for one (depending on price) will be getting at least 2 of the Pygmy's...

And one of the orange Dodo's too, but that is another story.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I really dig the serrations. That was the one thing I especially wanted to see on this one. It really pays tribute to the original. This one actually looks like a non-folding, folding Hobbit.

Yes, please bring us the folding Hobbit Warrior!
:bug-red-white
graf_zero

Post by graf_zero »

Those serrations are classic, but they rather catch than cut.
Standard spyderedge would be more practical.
We would have dual edge smal knife.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think the best thing is the BD01, it should be pretty affordable for people like Markg said. Comparatively.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

graf_zero wrote:Those serrations are classic, but they rather catch than cut.
Standard spyderedge would be more practical.
We would have dual edge smal knife.
Isn't that what the original serrations were designed for? Trapping, rather than cutting? This knife isn't really what I would consider all that practical anyway. :D
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Looks like a cool little fb! Loving that hump on the top near the handle. Very gunting-esque!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
graf_zero

Post by graf_zero »

gbelleh wrote:Isn't that what the original serrations were designed for? Trapping, rather than cutting? This knife isn't really what I would consider all that practical anyway. :D
That is all true.

But it still could be a bit more practical, without loosing most of tactical aspects.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

This thread needs a picture.

Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

gbelleh wrote:Isn't that what the original serrations were designed for? Trapping, rather than cutting? This knife isn't really what I would consider all that practical anyway. :D
Personally I think the saw back and serrations go more for look than function. You can trap with a flat spine and do all of the same methodology with a plain-edge. They sure don't look as bad@$$ though. :p
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

All I know is that I want one...bad!!
markg

Post by markg »

I maybe wrong, and some correct me if I am... However in the booklet that comes with the Warrior (written by Michael Janich, excellent read by the way) it is noted that Michael Echanis had a lot less to do with this knife than legend would grant. The saw teeth on the back were one contribution, if I remember correctly, they were added to give it more survival potential, at his suggestion.

Keep in mind, this was the 1970's...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It's been a while, so I might have to re-read that excellent Warrior booklet in anticipation of the Pygmy.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

It's one of the few knives new for 2012 that I see as a "must have" for my 'collection.' The more I look at it, the more intrigued I am. Anyone know how thick the blade is? I'd like to think it has a little more heft (for its size) than the H1 Warrior. Either way though, , I'm getting one as soon as I can.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I like it. Pointy pommel, deep finger grooves, and those teeth :eek:

Very nice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

im in!!!
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I'm melting on the inside. This is beautiful.

I wonder if Spyderco has any plans on releasing a satin version?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Anyone know what the sheath will be like?
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

I have basically no use or need for this knife, but I really like it just the same. I feel the same way about the big Warrior. I like the use of BD01 and Golden-made on this Pygmy. I was surprised to see that the Pygmy is only a little smaller than the other one (9.25 OAL vs 10.63). This makes me want to read the Warrior booklet again.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
DemskeetSkeet

Post by DemskeetSkeet »

I like it as well, need to see the sheath before I jump in and preorder one though.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

SQSAR wrote:It's one of the few knives new for 2012 that I see as a "must have" for my 'collection.' The more I look at it, the more intrigued I am. Anyone know how thick the blade is? I'd like to think it has a little more heft (for its size) than the H1 Warrior. Either way though, , I'm getting one as soon as I can.
4.5mm blade thickness according to the Op Focus catalog.