Lil' Temperance 2 update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JLS

Lil' Temperance 2 update

Post by JLS »

Is there any update on the status of the Lil' Temperance 2? Last I saw, it was a 3mm VG-10 blade with a black G-10 handle and an hourglass clip.

Has it moved out of R&D? Any idea on planned production?

I got to playing with my Lil' Temp last night and it really is a sweet knife. While I do love the green G-10, thick blade and the clip (which I, unlike most people, love), I look forward to any new version as well.

And a lousy picture of mine, just for thinking points.

42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Love the Li'l Temp!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Yes!! I just got the first one, NOW the second one can come out. Whew! :D
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

This is a nice little knife. Any chance of it coming back as a sprint?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

M4 and coyote G10 :D

Green is sweet too
sal

Post by sal »

We're waiting on a sample from a maker in Seki. Plan is to make a G-10 version to check the design and eventually an FRN version.

sal
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

Will it be VG-10?

What about leaf or clip point?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I fear that any new Lil Temp is going to fall far short of the original as have all the newer versions...the Manix 2 XL is not as good as the C95, the Starmate is a disappointment compared to the original...this is probably going to end up the same. Sometimes, no changes or "improvements" need to be, or should be made...
On the hunt for...
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I fear that any new Lil Temp is going to fall far short of the original as have all the newer versions...the Manix 2 XL is not as good as the C95, the Starmate is a disappointment compared to the original...this is probably going to end up the same. Sometimes, no changes or "improvements" need to be, or should be made...
+1, my expierences tell me, nothing beats the original!
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I fear that any new Lil Temp is going to fall far short of the original as have all the newer versions...the Manix 2 XL is not as good as the C95, the Starmate is a disappointment compared to the original...this is probably going to end up the same. Sometimes, no changes or "improvements" need to be, or should be made...
These knives are facing a different era than the originals a decade ago. That means they should evolve and also can't be directly compared to the old models regarding sales. Then again, why did they stop making the original if reception was as great as believed?

The 370z doesn't have the magic of the 240z and the Corvette is boring compare to the first Viper. Regardless, the new cars are vastly superior.

Until we see the revised versions passing judgement is IMHO not fair. I just got a Herbst Ti and while it's amazing it can't hold a candle to a Sage2. Not...even...close.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Blerv wrote:These knives are facing a different era than the originals a decade ago. That means they should evolve and also can't be directly compared to the old models regarding sales. Then again, why did they stop making the original if reception was as great as believed?

The 370z doesn't have the magic of the 240z and the Corvette is boring compare to the first Viper. Regardless, the new cars are vastly superior.

Until we see the revised versions passing judgement is IMHO not fair. I just got a Herbst Ti and while it's amazing it can't hold a candle to a Sage2. Not...even...close.
I tend to agree with you, Blerv. I've been tearing down a lot of my older Spydies lately to see how they are put together (looking for opportunities to mod them, as well as just clean them up). I am continually amazed how Sal and Spyderco have advanced the engineering designs of their knives over the years.

The Herbst is a great example. I dearly love this knife, but he way the pivot is constructed, it is very difficult to get the proper tension on the blade for a secure scale attachment - without sacrificing smoothness of opening. There is a sweet spot, but it is very very narrow and hard to maintain with use.

Another example - the original C-15 Terzuoloa and C-19 Terzuola Jr. Both are among my favorite Spydies of all time. But the scales are constructed so that the pins screw directly through the single liner and into the opposite scale. The opposite scales are threaded. On top of that, the stop pin is set into recesses in the liner and scale - providing a nice "blind pin" appearance. But this makes maintenance on this sucker a real bear!

Spyderco keep evolving with its program of continuous quality improvement. The modern construction methods make a much more serviceable and durable knife. That shouldn't keep us from waxing nostalgic about the older models - but the newer construction methods put modern Spydies in a completely different league.

TedP
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Agreed Ted :) . I'm all for nostalgia but an optimist for remakes. Luckily Spyderco isn't Hollywood, which has all but ruined my childhood :p .
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

please be at least 3.5mm, please have wire clip. I am curious coming in an FRN version if the Comp lock has ever been on an FRN knife
JLS

Post by JLS »

I used to yearn for a re-release of the first. But the more I think about it, it'll be interesting to see Sal's thoughts on improving it and making it appeal to a wider audience. The first one took a while before people appreciated it.

I know most don't like the original clip, but it was a very useful feature to me. I'd like to see it stay, but I'm quite sure I'm in the minority on that one.

As far as a FRN compression lock, the Centofante Vesuvius was a Comp lock. It was redesigned into the mid-lock Centofante 3.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I with you JLS, I am confident Sal and company will not let us down on this revamp, plus it will give a whole new generation of Spydernuts access to this model, something not easily done these days unless you have deeper pockets and a good nose for finding these sorts of white whales out there swimming around. Thank you Sal, I am very excited for this revision. Maybe a pic from Amsterdam Wouter?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Blerv wrote:These knives are facing a different era than the originals a decade ago. That means they should evolve and also can't be directly compared to the old models regarding sales. Then again, why did they stop making the original if reception was as great as believed?

Yes but we aren't really comparing apples and oranges like you are but apples to apples...mostly. The Starmate to Starmate comparison is a model to model comparison and I don't think that htere is a single person that would take the new one over the old. The new looks and feels cheaper, not as well done. And lacks much of what makes the old one a great knife. The C95 to the Manix 2 XL is a little different I will admit...but they are essentially the same model.

And I woldn't expect the Herbst Ti to compare to the Sage 2....but if they took the Herbst and changed the grind and the steel etc. Is it really still a Herbst Ti or is it something different?

All I was saying is that there are times when changes are made for the sake of updating or modernizing and they detract from what something was. And (I guess that I should say IMO here) the examples I used are some that are recent where the changes made things worse/different not better.
On the hunt for...
Holland

Post by Holland »

sal wrote:We're waiting on a sample from a maker in Seki. Plan is to make a G-10 version to check the design and eventually an FRN version.

sal
An FRN version!?!?! That's going to be a must buy
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Holland wrote:An FRN version!?!?! That's going to be a must buy
Yeah! But can they really call it "lightweight" with a 3.5mm slab of steel inside it? :rolleyes:

TedP
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

phillipsted wrote:Yeah! But can they really call it "lightweight" with a 3.5mm slab of steel inside it? :rolleyes:

TedP
The Manix2 LW is 3 oz and the Para2 G10 isnt much heavier. I guess context is everything :D
nccole

Post by nccole »

phillipsted wrote:I tend to agree with you, Blerv. I've been tearing down a lot of my older Spydies lately to see how they are put together (looking for opportunities to mod them, as well as just clean them up). I am continually amazed how Sal and Spyderco have advanced the engineering designs of their knives over the years.

The Herbst is a great example. I dearly love this knife, but he way the pivot is constructed, it is very difficult to get the proper tension on the blade for a secure scale attachment - without sacrificing smoothness of opening. There is a sweet spot, but it is very very narrow and hard to maintain with use.

Another example - the original C-15 Terzuoloa and C-19 Terzuola Jr. Both are among my favorite Spydies of all time. But the scales are constructed so that the pins screw directly through the single liner and into the opposite scale. The opposite scales are threaded. On top of that, the stop pin is set into recesses in the liner and scale - providing a nice "blind pin" appearance. But this makes maintenance on this sucker a real bear!

Spyderco keep evolving with its program of continuous quality improvement. The modern construction methods make a much more serviceable and durable knife. That shouldn't keep us from waxing nostalgic about the older models - but the newer construction methods put modern Spydies in a completely different league.

TedP
To add to that, I am newer in Spyderco's and never had a chance to own some of the older great models discussed here. While this particular model is not one I am interested in, there are several ones I would love to see come back and be my "original"