Question about Spyderco's Taiwan manufacturing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

I have a factory second CF Cat I picked up a couple years ago. Its a factory second because the blade centering is slightly off. The knife is outstanding though. Great quality, very ergonomic, love the size and blade shape. Haven't yet experienced the G10 version but I would expect no different.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MightySpydie wrote:I have a factory second CF Cat I picked up a couple years ago. Its a factory second because the blade centering is slightly off. The knife is outstanding though. Great quality, very ergonomic, love the size and blade shape. Haven't yet experienced the G10 version but I would expect no different.
Just to avoid confusion, both the original and current versions of the Cat and Chicago are made by Spyderco's other maker in Taiwan, not by the one in Taichung.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

My Chaparral, Sage1 and Gayle Bradley all say Taichung. Is the Gayle Bradley the only model ever made? If there were other models, does anyone know when this one was released? I only ask because I got the GB in a trade so I don't know if it is the latest model or not. I don't care if it is or not because I love it even if it isn't the newest release. I'm just curious.

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jack, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to anything other than midlocks anymore, but AFAIK there has only ever been one "version" of the Gayle Bradley but some of the very early ones may not have had Gayle Bradley's logo on them. Again AFAIK, there is a second Gayle Bradley model in the works (either larger or smaller, I'm not sure which).
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The newer GBs have skeletonized liners, and are a couple tenths of an ounce lighter than the originals.
:bug-red-white
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

The Deacon wrote:Just to avoid confusion, both the original and current versions of the Cat and Chicago are made by Spyderco's other maker in Taiwan, not by the one in Taichung.
Deacon,

Interesting to know, thanks for the info!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I believe the Taichung models use a mark that is curved to the handle. My Bradley is an early one so it doesn't have Taichung on it, but the curvature of the Taiwan stamp is distinctive. It's very evident on the PPT. A Walker sprint had a straight stamp.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

The Des Horn is a Taichung made knife & the stamping is only very slightly curved but still curved.
The Des Horn signature logo is a real work of art.
As is the whole job.
cutter17

Post by cutter17 »

My Perrin PPT is marked with Taiwan only, but the Vallotton, and Gayle Bradley are Taichung Taiwan. All I can say about Taichung is that they are putting out custom quality knives! :) :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"BACON is God's gift to mankind
-cutter17

SPYDERCO's owned;
Titanium Military, Perrin PPT, Vallotton Sub-Hilt, 92mm Citadel, Gayle Bradley......