Dialax Junior thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dsmegst

Dialex Junior thoughts

Post by dsmegst »

The Junior is a surprisingly comfortable folder in hand. Based on the handle shape, I expected a bit of awkwardness but that's absolutely not the case.

The usual Spydie goodness is all here: grippy G-10, wire clip, tip-up carry position, fantastic traction from the jimping, unique styling with safety built in and a great slicing blade.

But as always, there are a few things I want to bring up. When closed, there's very little space between the cutting edge and the cutout for the compression lock. When I press the lock to close the knife, I can feel the blade edge hit my fingernail as it closes. If the nails are cut short, I think the edge will hit my finder tip a bit. :eek:

Next, it's relatively harder to close one handed. Like my Para 2, I expected the lock to disengage completely when the lock is pressed open. But instead, the detent ball is always riding the tang and I can't use gravity to initiate a partial close so that I can shift my hand and close it one-handed. I have to whip the knife forward a bit to overcome the detent pressure while pressing the lock completely open. Then I can close it one handed.

Regarding fit and finish, there's a shallow divot in the G-10 scale's edge next to the lock bar. The other side is perfectly finished, making me wonder why they couldn't have the same fitment on both sides.

These are small details but somethings that can be improved upon in the future. Of course these things are only based on my one example and some of these things may be limited to just my knife. 7/10 for my initial impression.

What are your impressions guys?

edit: Forgot to mention the incredible lightness! And the shorter wireclip has a lot of down force. But I prefer that to a loose clip.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

I only handled one at s&r and i noticed a gap in the scale on one side near the clip. It felt good in hand though.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I like mine. It is one of the weirder looking knives out there, but I like the fit in my hand. Very comfortable. It feels like a bigger knife than it is in hand. The only thing that took some getting used to is no choil - I am spoiled by the choil.

I like the fact that it's easy to carry, being light. I am a wire-clip fan - I like that also.

The size is about ideal for most of my needs.

I got this out of curiosity and I have been pleasantly surprised.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

It's like a folding Street Beat. :) I'm still enjoying the SB Caly3.5 too much to make it a regular EDC folder but it will get some decent pocket time.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
syphen

Post by syphen »

Superblue Dialex Junior? hahaha
Too many Spydies to list!
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I've had mine for a couple months now and I'm quite pleased with it, overall. It's spent time between being my primary EDC and my work knife. F&F isn't quite up to par with other Seki made Spydies I've owned, as it also has the slight gap on the non-lock side of the knife and the ever so slightest hint of lock rock, but it might just need more time wearing in. On paper, this was the knife I was hoping someone would build. In reality, I now wish the knife was just slightly larger to relieve the slightly cramped feeling my fingers get when holding the knife. It's close, but not quite large enough for my hand. But, like others have stated in this and other threads, I think that has much to do with muscle memory from knives with choils that causes this.

I'm pleased with the weight and overall utility of the knife and feel the design concept could almost serve as a whole new platform for future designs. Beef the knife up a bit with thicker liners, larger pivot, and 4mm blade stock, and you've got yourself a knife that would probably knock many other heavyweights out. Reduce the overall size, making it a three-finger knife and you've got a great Little Big Knife. Change the blade shape for different tastes and I imagine it would be quite popular as well.

I think the Jr. has a future in the Spyderco stable providing some tweaks are made :spyder:
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

dsmegst wrote:Next, it's relatively harder to close one handed. Like my Para 2, I expected the lock to disengage completely when the lock is pressed open. But instead, the detent ball is always riding the tang and I can't use gravity to initiate a partial close so that I can shift my hand and close it one-handed. I have to whip the knife forward a bit to overcome the detent pressure while pressing the lock completely open. Then I can close it one handed.
This was an issue discussed at some length in other Dialex Jr threads. In a nutshell, the design was on purpose. The knife was aimed at a younger market and it was thought a freely swinging blade would introduce an element of danger unnecessary in a first knife. Reference other threads to see how others have routed a small space in the G10 to get a freely swinging blade.

F&F on my sample is as good as any other Spyderco. My only "adjustment" is getting used to a deep-belly blade, after carrying a Caly for so many years. I miss the sharp tip at times.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Bolster wrote:This was an issue discussed at some length in other Dialex Jr threads. In a nutshell, the design was on purpose. The knife was aimed at a younger market and it was thought a freely swinging blade would introduce an element of danger unnecessary in a first knife.
Thanks for the info. ;) I agree, it is a safer design but for those of us knifenuts, a little inconvenient. It's perfect for making peanut butter and jelly sammiches.
Dan (dsmegst)

numb

Post by numb »

I really like the junior, as good F&F as my other spydies. A good fingerguard, nice and functional bladshape and really easy to carry around. I like that the knife feels light and small but has about the same bladelength as the manix2.
Now I just want to meet juniors bigger brother and get one or two in other colours than black (tactical pink and sky blue comes to mind).

/N
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

I have been carrying my Junior pretty regularly for a few months now and fortunately have not run into any of the problems discussed here. Never had any problem with one hand closing, just give it a slight shake and press the blade down with your thumb. Even if the blade were to come all the way down, so long as you keep your fingers against the choil, the edge will never touch your hand. No problems with the fit and finish. Also, on my model, cannot touch the blade when closed near the compression lock unless you force your finger down there. Love how light the knife is and how sharp it came out of the box. The only complaint I would have it that it could be just a little bigger. Hopefully, there will be a Spyderco Senior.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thank you for the comments.
I am sorry to hear about the fit and finish issues. :o Although it is not a pleasant thing to hear, I am glad that F&F are the only complaints I read about so far. At least the functionality is there, the materials are there, the cutting power, the lock strength and the safety is there. Of course, this doesn't mean we'll simply let the fit and finish problems be. As you know, Spyderco continuously strives for improving the quality of its products.

The Junior is a knife where we pushed the limits pretty far. Like in any design, compromises had to be made. We emphasized safety in this knife. Safety and buttersmooth opening is ok, safety and smooth closing not that much.
But peanut butter spreading capabilities is always a must ;)

Although the knife is pretty satisfactory for the regular customer, I realize that our esteemed forumites, who are by far more knowleadgeble and selective than the regular users, need something better.
A good thing is that the Junior is higly customizable. You can alter the blade shape or even replace the scales with some improved ones, like I've seen on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXJNj6iWrGw
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I love my Junior Dialex! It's one of the knives that I truly love to EDC! Rock On!
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Dialex -

Thanks for the design. Very innovative and a surprise hit in my collection. It just goes to show you that you can't judge a knife based on photos alone.

Since this is called "the Junior", are there plans for a larger version?

Thanks -

Mike
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

dialex wrote:Thank you for the comments.
I am sorry to hear about the fit and finish issues. :o Although it is not a pleasant thing to hear, I am glad that F&F are the only complaints I read about so far. At least the functionality is there, the materials are there, the cutting power, the lock strength and the safety is there. Of course, this doesn't mean we'll simply let the fit and finish problems be. As you know, Spyderco continuously strives for improving the quality of its products.

The Junior is a knife where we pushed the limits pretty far. Like in any design, compromises had to be made. We emphasized safety in this knife. Safety and buttersmooth opening is ok, safety and smooth closing not that much.
But peanut butter spreading capabilities is always a must ;)

Although the knife is pretty satisfactory for the regular customer, I realize that our esteemed forumites, who are by far more knowleadgeble and selective than the regular users, need something better.
A good thing is that the Junior is higly customizable. You can alter the blade shape or even replace the scales with some improved ones, like I've seen on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXJNj6iWrGw
Hi,

Just to be clear, I'm quite satisfied with my purchase. There are a lot of things I really like about your design. The unconventional shape is amazingly comfortable in hand and it shows how much time and effort must have gone into the design.

Since I wrote the first post, I changed how I close the knife. I hold the handle with my last three fingers, disengage the lock with my index finger while the thump initiates the closure in a slow and deliberate manner. Then I shift my fingers and close the knife completely.

Now I can easily close with one hand and my index finger is not holding the lock open when the blade closes so there no chance of the blade edge hitting the fingertip.

Anyway, please excuse my original post if it sounds overly critical. That was not my intention. ;)
Dan (dsmegst)

dialex

Post by dialex »

dsmegst wrote:Hi,

Since I wrote the first post, I changed how I close the knife. I hold the handle with my last three fingers, disengage the lock with my index finger while the thump initiates the closure in a slow and deliberate manner. Then I shift my fingers and close the knife completely.
This is exactly how I do most of the times myself.
dsmegst wrote:Anyway, please excuse my original post if it sounds overly critical. That was not my intention. ;)
No offense taken my friend, criticism is good when it's done in a constructive manner, that's why I welcome all comments, good or bad.
I hope the Junior will serve you well. :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I'm going to get a new knife for Christmas. The Junior is definitely in the running.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]