Super Blue Stretch Sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

The cf stretch is one of my favorite blades to use on a daily basis, it's just about perfect. The peel ply cf is grippy, but not too harsh on the pants. The frn on the other hand usually pulls threads out of the corner of my pockets.

Count me in for one. G10 in anything but black; not too sure about gray, I haven't processed any game with it yet to see if blood will stain it (I imagine it will). Non-stainless doesn't scare me either. It's nothing to occasionally oil and wipe off a blade. Forced patina is always an option as well.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Anyone else feel for the need of another stretch sprint? :confused:
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

I do man! :) let's hope we are not alone.... :)
chewy667

Post by chewy667 »

Dark green G10 like the Stag Arms manix would be cool. I think I saw a Blackend stainless steel handled blade in the 2012 catalog (can't remember the model). So maybe a polished dark green g10 with Blackend SS bolsters, and all black hardwear. :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:I have zero interest in non-stainless steels.
I agree with this 100%, sort of. :) When my dad first started teaching me about knives he explained that carbon steel holds an edge MUCH longer than stainless steels but would rust quicker. Well, that was about 400 years ago :( and technology has brought stainless steels to a whole new level it seems. So, why have to worry about rust when the same (or almost) quality is available in steels that are more corrosion resistant? Having said that I think I'd be happy with M4 as my only steel. It's the only carbon steel I own and I'm sure there are others that are as good or better. The reason I'd not worried too much about corrosion is technology has also come a long way in corrosion prevention products. I've been using Tuf-Glide for a few years and had not one instance of corrosion and I left a Tuf-Glide treated knife outside in a tree limb for a couple of weeks with no corrosion. It was a cheap stainless steel knife so if it rusted no big deal. I won't do that with my Manix2 or GB no matter how much I trust Tuf-Glide. :) Just had an idea. I'm going to buy a gas station cash register knife and leave it outside. It will go straight from the gas station to one of my tree limbs and I'll see how it holds up. If it doesn't rust I won't be able to thank Tuf-Glide for the other knife not rusting.

So, since stainless steels are performing so much better these days we do have the option of great stainless steels and not have to worry (as much) about corrosion. (NOTE: I'm not going to mention H1 because I don't consider it a great steel unless you work or live on a shrimp boat. :) I have 2 H1 knives and it's a good steel but I wouldn't buy it unless I was in a high corrosion environment. I have a ladybug salt for high sweat in my pocket sometimes and a Pacific salt in case I'm offered a job on a shrimp boat. :D ) Options are great. And with the availability of good corrosion prevention products, carbon steels are a nice choice also. If I were planning on getting lost in the woods for a year or so and no web site to order Tuf-Glide, I'd definately go with a good stainless steel. So, if I had to face the old question of what knife would I own if I could only have one, I'd choose one with a good stainless steel. That's why I agree 100%. The rest of what I wrote is the "sort of" part of my first sentence. :)

Jack
PS edit:
I just realized I got WAY off subject and I apologize. The Stretch is a great knife and definately a model that should have as many options as possible IMO.
PocketZen

Post by PocketZen »

speedcut wrote:I do man! :) let's hope we are not alone.... :)
For me I have zero interest in stainless and love Blue super. However have never had any problems with rust and like patina. :D