New Temperance folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
khagler

New Temperance folder

Post by khagler »

I just received my new Temperance (the leaf point version) yesterday. It's a very nice design! The handle fits my hand perfectly, and the thick spine makes it easy to push down on the blade when cutting something tough.

It's interesting that the compression lock releases to the left, unlike the Gunting which releases to the right. Is there any particular reason for that?

There is one minor thing that I'd like to see changed. I think it would be better if the clip were black--the silver clip really stands out against my clothes. A black handle wouldn't draw so much attention to the knife.
mr. v

Post by mr. v »

Hi khagler--

I'm told Sal Glesser, Spyderco president & designer of the Lil' Temperance, prefers the compression lock (also designed by Spyderco) be released from the back because this encourages a safer 1-hand closing technique than if it pressed from the front. If you hold the knife w/your thumb on the front scale and the tips of your fingers on the back scale you can use your index finger to release the lock & the blade can fall all the way to the closed position with your fingers never having been in the path of the blade.

Bram Frank did his own research & experimentation while designing the Gunting and prefers the lock be accessible from the front side for reasons specific to the use of the Gunting.

Two different designers, two different priorites in design.

As for the colors, I don't know about the clip but I believe one reason Sal likes colored handles is that they are generally regarded as being less intimidating or aggressive-looking than black handles.

Regards,
Vince
khagler

Post by khagler »

Ah, I see. The Temperance lock does indeed encourage two-handed closing, although I wasn't doing it that way. Instead, I was releasing it with my thumb and then moving my hand out of the way while closing it with my left hand.

I get the idea behind making the handle colored, but I think the silver clip works against that. When carried with dark-colored pants, it screams out, "I have a knife." :-)
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The same problem occurs when you pair a black clip with light-coloured pants (i.e. chinos).

Wire clips so far seem to be the best compromise in terms of lowest visibility irregardless of the colour of one's pants, but I find them harder to clip one-handed and you lose the cool bug logo.