My first Spyderco - a C66PBK3 Centofante3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

My first Spyderco - a C66PBK3 Centofante3

Post by KardinalSyn »

Hi guys and gals,

I have been browsing this forum for ages but never really got around to registering or buying a Spyderco product till now. Until I actually held a Spyderco which belonged to a former colleague some time back, the need to use one of these fine products never came to my mind.

After going through so many knife reviews on the net and browsing so many websites, I finally decided to purchase my first Spyderco, a Centofante3. Something in the design appealed to me and I am a long time fan of lock back knives.

There were so many variations of the product around. So I thought I should just post some extra pics on the net to help anyone who is looking for this knife. Apologies to the veteran members if this is a re run.

I love the fit and finish of the knife. There is no blade play at all. Only usage will tell how the knife works for me.

The interesting that I noted is that on the FRN handle on the side of the clip, there is a very thing steel liner covering the entire inner handle area (that is visible). On the silver inlaid spyder logo handle, the liner is only running along the area where the pins are. I could not really understand why this was done.

I would like to hear your feedback.

Kard
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

The imperfect spam filter strikes again... bumping back up so it's not missed.

Welcome to the Spyderco forum Kard. We hope you enjoy your time with us.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Good for you!

Hey, I noticed something new--the "CENTOFANTE" on the blade. I've always been a fan of Frank Centofante and his work. I love the silver spydie bug even though I know it "bugs" some people 'round here.

BTW, move the clip for tip up carry and then you'll have it just right! :D
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

That's one beautiful knife! Congrats.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Nice choice. Not only a good value, but a very elegant design.

Gordon
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thank you TazKristi. Appreciated. I was wondering what happened to my first post with photos and uh,oh found out that I posted in the general discussion section rather than the photos section. Big green noob here :) I hope to spend a lot of time here too. A lot of eye candy to see yet.

@HiredGun: Yep, moved the clip and you're right. Its more easy for me to deploy that way too. The Centofante name being there is a new one for me as well. I liked it.

Thanks Mud Shrimp Moe and gaj999.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

KardinalSyn wrote:The interesting that I noted is that on the FRN handle on the side of the clip, there is a very thing steel liner covering the entire inner handle area (that is visible). On the silver inlaid spyder logo handle, the liner is only running along the area where the pins are. I could not really understand why this was done.

I would like to hear your feedback.

Kard
Hi and welcome! The Centofante 3 is a nice knife and elegant design. Regarding your question about the steel liner on the clip side, it is there so the clip screws have something to anchor into. Without it, the screws would thread right into the FRN and become stripped, loose and easily fall out. Hope this helps!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thanks Jay_Ev.

Thought as much too on the anchoring for those screws and the possibility of strengthening the handle. I was a little confused as the reviews I've read and seen on youtube did not indicate the inclusion of steel liners. Maybe I missed it on the Spyderco product catalog as well. Though a few grams of stainless steel liner is not going to increase the weight of this knife (and its inclusion for which i am glad), for a moment I had a sinking feeling that this may be one of those much hyped about spyderco fakes. I am happy now to know that it is not. These additional refinements on the Centofante3 are very much welcome from Spyderco.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have the Centofante 4...wish mine had the name etched in the back side of the blade like that. I think these are really awesome knives that just slipped through the cracks and didn't get the attention they deserved. I also think these would have been really awesome knives to have in a SS version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

KardinalSyn,

welcome to the forums. Hope you will enjoy your stay here, you will find this is a very nice place with many knowledgeable members, who generously share their knowledge. Beware of the famous addiction :D

I have two Cento 4 and like them very much, great knives.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

@ Evil D
Yeah, I would also like this version in SS. I would also like to see a heftier/tactical version of this knife in a G10 handle. That would be a nice duo to EDC.

@ skatenut
Thanks. Its nice to be here.
Its too late. Addicted.
The Centofante4 looks cool. KnifeCenter did not have it when I was searching their range.

Kard
chewy667

Post by chewy667 »

I love my Centofante 3, but I'm happy it's not etched on the blade. I prefer a cleaner look.
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Good first choice! It is a great user, one of my favorites.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

This is my favorite Spydie!!
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thanks guys. You all are fueling my addiction :)

Perhaps I might do a dual carry, Centofante3 and the Para2. The Centofante3 looks less menacing than the Para2.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Welcome to the forum, KardinalSyn. I am glad to see you are enjoying your Centofante. Rest assured this is just the beginning. ;)
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Just noticed the blade shape... love the grinds, very streamlined knife.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thanks D1omedes. You were right :)

Yeah, it's a one of a kind shape Minibear453. I wish it were a little bigger with thicker blade (4mm) and G10 handles with perhaps a compression lock. That would be big brother version to this one and great for dual EDC.