Blue g-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Vicinadp

Blue g-10

Post by Vicinadp »

I love the blue g10 on my sage 3 and I would love to get my hands on a Blue Dodo as well. But I feel that Spydie should offer almost every knife offered in g10 to have different color variations. I mean that so its not just for sprint runs, like light blue, oranage, etc. Food for thought
Mr.Porter

Post by Mr.Porter »

Vicinadp wrote:I love the blue g10 on my sage 3 and I would love to get my hands on a Blue Dodo as well. But I feel that Spydie should offer almost every knife offered in g10 to have different color variations. I mean that so its not just for sprint runs, like light blue, oranage, etc. Food for thought
I agree 100%... I have a particular affinity for blue and orange G10.
I would love to see multiple color choices available for many models, non sprint runs that is to say. For example, I've always said on my You Tube channel that I would love to see some more colors of G10 Enduras... especially, as mentioned, blue and orange! :)

I wanted a blue Dodo... missed that one. :(
I wanted a blue Yojimbo... missed that one. :(
I have a blue FRN Endura that I love. :)
Finally got the blue Smallfly I've been desiring. :D
Now I need a blue Military! :o
Oh and a blue Police! ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CLICK HERE TO WATCH MY YOU TUBE VIDEOS
Life's short, stay sharp.

A blade's not whole with no hole in the blade.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Mr.Porter wrote:I agree 100%... I have a particular affinity for blue and orange G10.
I would love to see multiple color choices available for many models, non sprint runs that is to say. For example, I've always said on my You Tube channel that I would love to see some more colors of G10 Enduras... especially, as mentioned, blue and orange! :)

Oh and a blue Police! ;)
Oh yes! In 20CP.
Mr.Porter

Post by Mr.Porter »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Oh yes! In 20CP.
Sounds good to me my brotha!
Where to we sign up? :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Mr.Porter wrote:Sounds good to me my brotha!
Where to we sign up? :)
I started a thread about that. Maybe if we ask nicely enough, Sal will consider it.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... lue+millie
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

When the Dodo first came out, the first question on the forums was "when will it be available in black?".

When the original Yojimbo first came out, the first question on the forums was "when will it be available in black?".

When the Sage III first came out, the first question on the forums was "will it ever be available in black?".

I may be jumping to conclusions, but IMHO, blue G-10 ain't all that popular.

FWIW, I feel your pain, I like quite a few unpopular handle materials, although blue G-10 isn't one of them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote: I may be jumping to conclusions, but IMHO, blue G-10 ain't all that popular.

I do not think that you are jumping to conclusions, just take a look on street price for discontinued knives, which were available in both blue and black G10. Knives with black g10 are more expensive than with blue.

The Deacon wrote: FWIW, I feel your pain, I like quite a few unpopular handle materials, although blue G-10 isn't one of them.
+1
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Well, since color is being discussed, here comes my usual shameless request for more Lime Green!
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

My opinion: I like some variety in color, but I'd prefer to see more dark or earth tone colors (especially in non-sprint models). The bright colors are interesting, and look pretty cool, but I almost never carry them. I think more G-10 colors like the the brown Military, Stag Arms dark green, or a dark navy blue would be great, and very popular sellers.
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I personally think colors that more or less are pulled directly from the color wheel (primary and secondary slots) aren't the most popular for the general masses. These are bright and unforgiving.

Muted colors/shades seem to be far more popular whether be they are deemed discreet or "tactical". Grey might be the exception.
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Given the rather ho-hum response to blue g-10, I guess I should hold out much hope for anything in fluorescent pink/red g10. :(
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The Deacon wrote:When the Dodo first came out, the first question on the forums was "when will it be available in black?".

When the original Yojimbo first came out, the first question on the forums was "when will it be available in black?".

When the Sage III first came out, the first question on the forums was "will it ever be available in black?".

I may be jumping to conclusions, but IMHO, blue G-10 ain't all that popular.

FWIW, I feel your pain, I like quite a few unpopular handle materials, although blue G-10 isn't one of them.
Likely all true, but it doesn't explain the popularity of the blue Manix 2.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

hiredgun wrote:Well, since color is being discussed, here comes my usual shameless request for more Lime Green!
I like the way you think sir!!!
gbelleh wrote:My opinion: I like some variety in color, but I'd prefer to see more dark or earth tone colors (especially in non-sprint models). The bright colors are interesting, and look pretty cool, but I almost never carry them. I think more G-10 colors like the the brown Military, Stag Arms dark green, or a dark navy blue would be great, and very popular sellers.
I tend to agree, despite what jumps out at me initially, subtlety always wins pocket time.
mikerestivo wrote:Likely all true, but it doesn't explain the popularity of the blue Manix 2.
Its because its not called blue g10 on the manix, its called Smurf.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mikerestivo wrote:Likely all true, but it doesn't explain the popularity of the blue Manix 2.
Sprints of a popular model sell due to rarity. OP was suggesting making blue G-10 versions of every model regular production. Apples and oranges.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
buddy54ck

New Vid

Post by buddy54ck »

Mr.Porter wrote:I agree 100%... I have a particular affinity for blue and orange G10.

Oh and a blue Police! ;)

Hey Bud, thanks for the New Vid, Your such a great Photographer!
+1 on the different colors!
Thanks,
Charlie
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Nice there is something for everyone but I'm also in the camp of not caring for the vivid blue G10. I realize that the vivid orange is loathed by some but there is something about it that says, "rescue", "deer hunter", "outdoorsman", etc.. Smurf blue looks good on a sugar cookie though! :D
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The Deacon wrote:Sprints of a popular model sell due to rarity. OP was suggesting making blue G-10 versions of every model regular production. Apples and oranges.
It feels like Spyderco forum blasphemy disagreeing with you Paul, but I do so respectfully.

My point was that blue g-10 seemed pretty popular with the Manix 2 run. This was a limited run of 400, to your point on rarity. However, I recall a groundswell of discontent about this edition because it was sold out before many folks knew about it. There may have been twice that many buyers out there that would have purchased one, if available.

With respect to the popularity of this variant, it's hard to tell if it was rarity, the scale color, or that it was (if I recall) the first Manix 2 variant with a full-flat grind.

When I got mine, it was the color that drew me in. Oddly, the color was not the deciding factor for me on my Sage 3 - it was the Blackie Collins lock.

Maybe a larger run of the smurf Manix 2 of 1,000 pieces would have driven home your point more fully. Hard to say.

Black is the dominant color for g-10/frn scales. It is conservative and unobtrusive. I would opine that blue g-10 is probably as popular, if not more so, than other scale color options, black aside. But again, it's a tough comparison because you are dividing that vote between all other available colors and black.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That knife had a ton of things going for it. An early Manix2 sprint, early FFG, 600 pieces (?), s30v has a HUGE name, promoted by Nutnfancy.

Its pretty popular but I'm not sure if the logic would work if re-released these days. The market is saturated with Manix2 sprints, some with more exotic materials. As a production run historically calm colors sell more...it's a huge bright blue knife. Cool or not it's hardly subtle.
Mr.Porter

Post by Mr.Porter »

buddy54ck wrote:Hey Bud, thanks for the New Vid, Your such a great Photographer!
+1 on the different colors!
Thanks,
Charlie
Hey my friend... thank you very much for that compliment! :)
Thank you also for watching my new vid! I appreciate that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Vicinadp wrote:I love the blue g10 on my sage 3 and I would love to get my hands on a Blue Dodo as well. But I feel that Spydie should offer almost every knife offered in g10 to have different color variations. I mean that so its not just for sprint runs, like light blue, oranage, etc. Food for thought
I'm totally with you on the bright G-10 colors. But I'm afraid we are in the minority here considering how people are always asking for black G-10. In a way I can understand the wish for discreet, neutral, tactical colors. Personally I'd rather go with bright, fun colors. But then I'm a girl and I'm certainly not the main target for any knife company. Love my UKPK in orange G-10.

One negative aspect of brightly/lightly colored G-10 is that it seems so prone to showing dirt and use quickly. Personally I don't mind but some people seem really bothered by the fact that their brand new light grey G-10 handles look dirty after only a week or two in your pocket. That's not quite this much of an issue with FRN.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder: