Looking for a 'running' knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JaM

Looking for a 'running' knife

Post by JaM »

Hi all,

recently I've started to run. Just small distances though, 5 km or half an hour at the moment.
However, I'd like to carry a knife with me, just in case/just cause I can.
I wont be encoutering (mountain)lions, bear or cobras but might have a use for it vs dogs (hope not!) or 2 legged... 'predators' (again, I hope not).
Maybe I'll just use it to cut shoestrings, who knows...

Today I ran with an E3 CE in vg-10, but even if it's quite corrosion resistant (I do sweat, but not 'acid' like some people ;) ) I'd rather have something in H1.

I am looking at the black bladed pacific, but I am curious if there are knifes I am missing that might fit the bill.
I dont think I'll be carrying a 'fixie', I am not wearing a belt or something so I have no way to attatch a sheat.
And I doubt there is a necker in H1 that will fit the bill... right?

So, is the Pacific the only choice there is, or are there more models/other brands out there that people use while wearing a few layers of cloth while trying to run a simple route from a to b and back to a again?

What would YOU use ?

Please tell me! :)

Best regards,

JaM
rycen

Post by rycen »

I think you have narrowed it down yourself.A Salt folder should suit you well.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Opposed to running ( ;) ) but I would go Tasman and a small can of Fox OC. Better to spray a dog and see what happens first.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Id say look at the spyderhawk salt, and I second the pepper spray idea if dogs will be an issue. For two-leggers, the spyderhawk would be a pretty good stand off weapon just from the looks of it. I would be terrified if a spyderhawk was drawn in a dark alley.
JaM

Post by JaM »

Sadly, OC is not an option over here.

I'll look into the spyderhawk.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Oh didn't see your location. I suggest a beefy flashlight too :) . Dual purpose but 500+ lumens is pretty dissuading.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I love the Caspian Salt and think it would be a good necker if local laws allow fixed blade carry.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JaM

Post by JaM »

:rolleyes: yeah,... I should carry a cane too :D

I prefer something lightweight though, running with a utilitybelt on may have it's charmes but it's probably not for me :D .

Thanks for the comments so far guys. I was afraid I'd may have missed some new(er) models that might fit the bill.
Denix

Post by Denix »

I've been running for years with a small FRN Dragonfly. It's small and unobtrusive. It works well when you want to run light. It fits in the small pockets in most running belts (it fits in the front pocket of my Nathan). After 7 years it's got a few rust spots but nothing major. I'll have to fix that someday. My vote would be for a salt Dragonfly.

Guy
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Congratulations on your running!

I waited more than a year to get a Salt I because I couldn't decide between yellow and black or whether I would even use a blade with a handle that isn't a neutral color.

My indecision led me to finally buy both.

My yellow Salt I has been my EDC since spring. Its light weight is great anytime you are wearing shorts or pants without a belt (like running pants); or whenever it is rainy, cold or snowy. In fact, it is a great EDC just about any time!

The color makes it seem less threatening to many non-knife folks.

As much as I like my Delicas, I like the Salt's aesthetics even more -- with its slightly rounded tip, wider blade and larger Spydie hole.

And there's always the Dragonfly Salt for an even lighter-weight choice.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

H1 dragonfly is what I carry when I run and workout. If the DF is to small you can always move up to the salt or pacific.
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

I carry an H1 dragonfly in the small of my back when running or biking. It has been doing great!
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I generally run with a Centofante 4 IWB or clipped in pocket, occasionally I'll take my Swick in a neck sheath. Since I run barefoot, I have the occasional need to dig splinters or thorns out of my feet and a pointy tip really helps with that. Other attributes I like are light weight and minimal thickness. I've had no trouble with VG-10 rusting, but I have gotten a few rust spots on the Swick, which is S30V. Now I take it out and rinse it off when I get home. The Des Horn is on my Christmas list. It would be a dandy running knife, albeit on the spiffy side.

Gordon
JaM

Post by JaM »

Hmmm... I use a D'Fly at work a lot. While it is a good knife (and quite allright in H1 for running) I doubt I'd get it open when I need it. It's kinda small, wich is perfect while working but not so good for opening under stress (even more so when tired from running).

I'll see if I can get a big salt (have the salt 1, find the handle a tad too small) for a decent price.

Barefoot running? I've heared and red about that... I'd prefer some kind of protetion though on my feet. :eek: Sounds good but I am not sure I'd try it here. Probably step in dog poo or glass if I'm unlucky... no thanks.
My 20 € asics are good enough at the moment! :)

I doubt I can find a swick again, but since I am someone who never wears anything on his body (rings, watches, what have you) apart from a knife I'll probably skip that.

JaM
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

UKPK...Lightweight, super functional and cheap to replace...
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Nonprophet

Post by Nonprophet »

I always carry a knife while running for the same reasons. Truthfully, just get something in a stainless metal that has G2 scales or a stainless handle and then just pick whatever is the most comfortable to carry. The salts are nice but not entirely necessary. At the very worst just rinse your knife off when you're done running and give it a good oiling once in awhile. Should be enough to keep it from gumming up! I carry a decent folder but nothing especially corrisive resistant and I soak that think in sweat at least 4 times a week! Just go with the largest size you can comfortably carry but if you just need an excuse to buy a salt, then I say just buy a salt!
‎"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.":spyder:Robert Heinlein
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I always carry a knife when I trail-run, which is usually about 3-5 times a week. The two that typically come along (only one at a time) would be the new polymer Manix2 and/or a black Pacific Salt. Both are way light and that's the primary reason I carry them. I like the added blade length of the Pacific Salt, and the H1's corrosion resistance isn't bad either (not that I've ever had a corrosion problem). Hope this helps!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would start browsing the catalog and find the lightest thing in there in the most reasonable size. I wouldn't carry a Dragonfly when jogging if i were concerned about mountain lions..lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

JaM wrote:Probably step in dog poo or glass if I'm unlucky...
I've stepped on both. It's less of a big deal than you would think.

If I could run in shoes, I would. Sadly, my body just takes too much of a pounding when I wear them. You run lightly if you're barefoot. :D It's much easier on your body, if harder on your feet.

I'd just get something I liked that was thin, light, and not too abrasive. Stainless, of course, but H1 is overkill.

Gordon
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Evil D wrote:I would start browsing the catalog and find the lightest thing in there in the most reasonable size. I wouldn't carry a Dragonfly when jogging if i were concerned about mountain lions..lol.
If I was concerned about mountain loins, I wouldn't worry about carrying a knife anyways. I'd be carrying a J frame. :p