What excuse do you guys use to justify your next purchase?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Allen R.

What excuse do you guys use to justify your next purchase?

Post by Allen R. »

Ive been away from the forums for awhile and im posting like crazy, but i was just thinkin of some of the ridiculous excuses I've told my wife the last few months to buy a new knife, so just for a few laughs what excuses have you guys used?? One of mine was, But honey it may look expensive now but its a sprint run i should buy 3 ,I could always sell them on e-bay and make a killing! The one i used most recently was, This is the last one for awhile i promise. So guys im running out of reasons to give her any help is needed...lol!
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

"But honey, I got you a new handbag." :)

Actually, I time the handbag and Spyderco purchases around the same time so I don't get questioned when a new knife-sized box arrives in the mail.

Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The one my wife understands is that it's like buying a purse, the fact that she already has a couple dozen is irrelevant.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

you get your shoe's i get my :spyder: 's :D :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I want it.
:bug-red-white
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

bartvdb wrote:you get your shoe's i get my :spyder: 's :D :D
I told her yesterday, If i get a new one you can get your Ipad 2, I figure that may get me a 1 or 2 more I been eying,
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
Tubpbs

Post by Tubpbs »

I just say that it makes me happy... it's healthy to feel happy.

It's difficult to argue with, plus it's not hard to tell I'm not lying when I say it...

It suffices.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

My wife spends 100 bucks on her hair per month. I'm bald by choice. But she doesn't reason like that.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

But I don't have a left-handed one, they're discontinued, something something something new steel, your car costs xxx a month, did you make xxx this week?

It's not something we argue about really just "why do you need more" type of thing. I buy all of my knives with extra money from recycling scrap metal so it isn't like I'm blowing our 9-5 checks.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I always try hard to buy knives that aren't too much alike, so i can at least fool myself into thinking they have individual purposes. This creates a fictional need to justify the purchase.

Fictional is just fine by me :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I told my wife we should both spend $150 on something frivolous. Knife cost me $300 lol.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Not married, so I buy what I want when I want however many I want if I want.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

Not married and I slowed down on gun ammo purchases.I need to slow down on my knife habit/hobby. I decided $50 a month or $100 every two months or $150 every three months is fine.I was doubling that lately.Some people crap their pants when I tell them I spend that much on knives regularly but they spend twice that on video games. ? The thing is I or my kids will have and use my knives many many years and a few will go up in value unlike fancy clothes or video games or a bottle of liquor. Not justification-just my reasoning
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

Jay_Ev wrote:Not married, so I buy what I want when I want however many I want if I want.
[CENTER]
Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It is not fair that some men should be happier than others.
(Oscar Wilde)

Image[/CENTER]

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]
Slash

Post by Slash »

I wear the pants. Therefore I don't need to make excuses for anything I do. Are you happy? Do you need anything? Don't know what else to say.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I always say when the wife says "What! you need another Knife!" my answer "What! you cook with one pot!"......Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I just say "I want to buy another knife woman, now!", when I wake up from that dream, I look around to make sure she did not hear that. Then I just sneak away to the computer and order me a knife!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I guess I'm lucky in this regard. I live alone and, being retired on a NYS pension plus Social Security, don't have to worry about my income suddenly vanishing. If I want something, have the funds to pay for it, and know I can afford it, that's all the justification I need.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

I just use work as an excuse. "this knife will be good at this task, so I NEED it" lol
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I think my wife has resigned herself to the fact that I'm certifiably insane when it comes to buying Spydies. I think she gave up asking about 15 knives ago...
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt