What excuse do you guys use to justify your next purchase?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:"The last one is dull, I need a new one"
pfft, you have a ep and get edges like mine :D
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

razorsharp wrote:pfft, you have a ep and get edges like mine

:D
Well, yours are better. :)

This old man can't match the steadiness of your hands.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

"....it's got a blade made from a new steel that I need to try out!!!" :spyder: :D
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

I too must be a lucky man as my wife never questions my purchases. I have bought too many knives to count but she is a collector as well and realizes the joy that I get out of each and every new Spyderco.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Sequimite wrote:The one my wife understands is that it's like buying a purse, the fact that she already has a couple dozen is irrelevant.
I use this one alot as well. I also find it very helpful to have the knife-sized-boxes mailed to my attention at work instead of home.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

No excuses, no justify, if I like/want it and can afford it, I get it. Be responsible.

That said; to afford it I buy, sell and flip. Fund it from the "knife fund", make my knife habit support itself. Stay out of the family/bills/day job funds.

If I don't have enough there, sell/trade something or wait till I save enough for it.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

My wife and I are very open about our purchases. She has her interests and I have mine and as long as we spend within our means, there are no questions asked. The icing on the cake is that she now asks me what knife I want for Christmas, my birthday, etc. I do the same for her.

Actually, it would be very easy for me to hide my knife purchases. Firstly, I always have everything shipped to my office in New Jersey rather than to my home in New York for reasons you can obviously guess. Secondly, she doesn't know one knife from another.

It's easy to spend big bucks on any hobby. When I was building my photography kit, I would often purchase lenses costing four figures and no knife I own cost me anywhere near.

Frankly, if you have to hide your purchases from your spouse, you either are spending too much or your relationship needs to be re-evaluated.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Planning on funding stuff from the existing knives to get 'the next one.' No longer feeling the manic pull towards 'the next one' which bugs me a bit. Bet it'll pass.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
BAL

Post by BAL »

Just have them shipped to your office (if possible) and then don't say anything more. If she spots a new one, just say "What, this old thing, I've had it for years. You can also rub a little dirt on a new one and then let her see you cleaning and say, whew, it's about time that I got around to cleaning this thing up.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

NYRich wrote:Frankly, if you have to hide your purchases from your spouse, you either are spending too much or your relationship needs to be re-evaluated.
Or your spouse's head needs to be evaluated.

I'm not afraid of my wife, but it's sometimes just easier keeping her in the dark. That way there's no sneering, no questioning. But given that she semi-recently bought a $17,000 ring (I only WISH that were a typo), she can't really say JACK about an $80 Spyderco!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

NYRich wrote:Frankly, if you have to hide your purchases from your spouse, you either are spending too much or your relationship needs to be re-evaluated.
This thread has been an interesting read, to say the least. It sounds like most people here are afraid of their spouse. :eek: It highlights where we have gone as a society where men have to lie, hide things, be deceitful, ship things to other addresses, etc. jumping through all these hoops so as not to upset their wife. That doesn't sound fun at all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Jay_Ev wrote:This thread has been an interesting read, to say the least. It sounds like most people here are afraid of their spouse. :eek: It highlights where we have gone as a society where men have to lie, hide things, be deceitful, ship things to other addresses, etc. jumping through all these hoops so as not to upset their wife. That doesn't sound fun at all.
+1

I don't have a spouse but I do have to justify my purchases to myself.
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

i started the thread hoping to get funny responses..Some people take life way to seriously
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zidfeldts wrote:I too must be a lucky man as my wife never questions my purchases. I have bought too many knives to count but she is a collector as well and realizes the joy that I get out of each and every new Spyderco.
See i couldn't live with someone who's as OCD about things as i am, if we both collected things we would surely be living in a box outside somewhere completely bankrupt lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
scatteredsage

Post by scatteredsage »

I usually buy another while a few of my Spydies are up in Golden getting professionally sharpened. They're not here, so why not? :)
Latest :spyder:: Stretch FRN ZDP-189
Heespharm

Post by Heespharm »

Evil D wrote:See i couldn't live with someone who's as OCD about things as i am, if we both collected things we would surely be living in a box outside somewhere completely bankrupt lol.
With only your knives to warm you..
buddy54ck

Don't We!

Post by buddy54ck »

wsdavies wrote:I think my wife has resigned herself to the fact that I'm certifiably insane when it comes to buying Spydies. I think she gave up asking about 15 knives ago...
:spyder: :spyder:
My Wife doesn't miss much, and I don't think She totally Gave up either, but She is pretty tolerant, and I think that She Just Plays Dumb, just to keep the peace!
She knows that there are much worse things that I could be doing!
When She occasionally mentions it, I simply say, "someday You will thank Me for this!" Maybe She is hoping that I am right! Maybe she is hoping this obsession will go away like others have.................................................
...........................but, We know better, Don't We!
LOL!!!
Charlie
:D
:spyder: :spyder:
BAL

Post by BAL »

It's all in fun, I don't think that everyone goes around "hiding" things from their wife. Some may do. I made a post about having knives shipped to my office, which I do, because I live on a farm and don'r want the dogs tearing open my Yo 2 before I get home. But I also proudly show the wife my new purchase, which she rolls her eyes and
says, so this is the knife that you have been drooling over for the past year and then walks on by.

You are correct about our society and what has happened to it, I will champion that cause, but I also think that many posts here were written with humor in mind.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Jay_Ev wrote:This thread has been an interesting read, to say the least. It sounds like most people here are afraid of their spouse. :eek: It highlights where we have gone as a society where men have to lie, hide things, be deceitful, ship things to other addresses, etc. jumping through all these hoops so as not to upset their wife. That doesn't sound fun at all.
It's all in fun, I don't think that everyone goes around "hiding" things from their wife. Some may do. I made a post about having knives shipped to my office, which I do, because I live on a farm and don'r want the dogs tearing open my Yo 2 before I get home. But I also proudly show the wife my new purchase, which she rolls her eyes and
says, so this is the knife that you have been drooling over for the past year and then walks on by.

You are correct about our society and what has happened to it, I will champion that cause, but I also think that many posts here were written with humor in mind.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

BAL wrote:... but I also think that many posts here were written with humor in mind.
This.

I was shopping with my wife yesterday and she was looking at shoes. I asked what she was looking for and she said "I think I need three or four new pairs." When I said "I feel the same way about knives", she didn't say anything. Time to go shopping. LOL

It happened just that way, but with good humor on both sides.

Gordon