Project: Snakewood Dragonfly - Work in Progress Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

rwb1500 wrote:i'm with the doc, back to the shop! The people want more pics! :d
+1 :)
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
3Speedyfish3

Post by 3Speedyfish3 »

Snakewood is the most beautiful wood pattern out there. Can't wait to see the finished product!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:So where is the finished product already!....Enough Talk get to work DC...LOL...Doc :p :D
Hahah, patients yall! My spare time is limited right now, just started a new job. I will try and get some stuff done today, I just need to find the right size drill bits before I continue. Thats where Im at now. More to come soon though!
DCDesigns

Ok, some more pictures:

Post by DCDesigns »

Ok, so pretty much no where is open on thanksgiving, so I couldnt get anything I needed to work on the handles. Hopefully I will have time to snag some drill bits and get to work this weekend. In the mean time, here is the quick diagram I drew to make sure I got everything in the right places. I decided I will not be using a clip on this one. I dont think the material is capable of being milled out for the wire clip without cracking. I will probably make a pouch for it out of calfskin.

I also stonewashed the blade. Im pretty sure I will pick up some Ferric chloride and etch it a little darker then re- stone wash.

I put some polyurethane on one of the scales and mocked up a quick representation of the finished product.

My $80 dragonfly is now a bowl of parts... But not for long! :)

utor

Post by utor »

hmm, nice job DCDesigns , i`m looking forward to see the final result! Did you stonewash the blade or is it just dust? / ah, i see its stonewashed, i`m not sure if i won`t prefer a polished blade on a gentlemans folder like this.

I´d like to rescale my Dragonfly 2 with titan scales. But it seems to me that the frn scales are molded in one piece? Beeing not to sure about the final result, i don`t want to mess up the frn-scales before i`ve finished the new ones. anybody any idea except buying a g-10 scaled d´fly?
KnOeFz

Post by KnOeFz »

Oh man, this is gonna look amazing!
That snakewood look beautifull.
Love the drawing you made, can't wait to the the finished knife.
Very inspiring :)
:spyder: I don't mind going nowhere, as long as it's an interesting path. - Ronald Mabbitt

Post by 1623 »

This will be a beautiful knife; the dark etched blade will look stunning against the Snakewood.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

utor wrote:hmm, nice job DCDesigns , i`m looking forward to see the final result! Did you stonewash the blade or is it just dust? / ah, i see its stonewashed, i`m not sure if i won`t prefer a polished blade on a gentlemans folder like this.

I´d like to rescale my Dragonfly 2 with titan scales. But it seems to me that the frn scales are molded in one piece? Beeing not to sure about the final result, i don`t want to mess up the frn-scales before i`ve finished the new ones. anybody any idea except buying a g-10 scaled d´fly?
The liners are nested inside the FRN scales. You need to take the knife apart and put the scales on a piece of paper and make an outline of each. Then cut the scales out of whatever material you want to use. Then lay the liner on the scale so it centers in the new scale material (make sure you draw the liner on the inside of the scale). Then route out the depth for the liner. Or I guess you could cut out the area for the liners and the holes for the screws first then screw the scales to the liners and then shape the scale. That sounds better to me. I've never made scales for a knife with nested liners but have thought about it a lot and will someday. I hope this helped. I don't really know the best way because I've never done it. If you do anything I'd like to know how it turns out. Any tips you come up with I'd love to hear also if you don't mind. Maybe that could help me not make as many mistakes when I try it.

Jack
PS edit: Nevermind, I just looked and you seem to be way ahead of me.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

jackknifeh wrote:Or I guess you could cut out the area for the liners and the holes for the screws first then screw the scales to the liners and then shape the scale.
That's how I did my Delica scales. I wouldn't want to try routing out the liner recess if the scales were already cut to shape/size.
Stew

Post by Stew »

jackknifeh wrote:The liners are nested inside the FRN scales. You need to take the knife apart and put the scales on a piece of paper and make an outline of each. Then cut the scales out of whatever material you want to use. Then lay the liner on the scale so it centers in the new scale material (make sure you draw the liner on the inside of the scale). Then route out the depth for the liner. Or I guess you could cut out the area for the liners and the holes for the screws first then screw the scales to the liners and then shape the scale. That sounds better to me. I've never made scales for a knife with nested liners but have thought about it a lot and will someday. I hope this helped. I don't really know the best way because I've never done it. If you do anything I'd like to know how it turns out. Any tips you come up with I'd love to hear also if you don't mind. Maybe that could help me not make as many mistakes when I try it.

Jack
PS edit: Nevermind, I just looked and you seem to be way ahead of me.
If he's remaking the scales in Titanium, I think he could lose the liners.
Cheers,
Stew.

[CENTER]www.StewartJLight-Knives.com[/CENTER]
TD22057

Post by TD22057 »

Looks good - can't wait to see more.

Just an FYI - you might want to check knifekits.com for step drill bits. They work great for making the screw holes and flat bottomed counter bores at the same time. Not sure what sized screws spyderco uses but those bits worked perfectly for the pivot screws and liner screws in some scales I made for a BM.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

OK, so it has been a while since I had started this thread,I held of work on this project and since, I have had a small change of heart. I no longer want to use snakewood on my dragonfly. Mainly because I plan on using it in several other knives for myself, as well as gun grips, my personal pen, straight razor handles for my Dubl Duck from th 1800's. Basically I will have a lot of snakewood around me, and althrough it is nice to have things match, to be honest, i am ready to work with another material.

Also I might be using it on my GB, so I only really want one folder with snakewood scales, and since the GB has considerably thicker scale, I think it is a safer bet with the ever fragile snakewood. Im sure I could make the handle for a Dfly out of snakewood, but I would be very wary about using it rough, which is not something I need.

INSTEAD: I HAVE SOMETHING MUCH MORE EXCITING IN MIND!!!

I will be making the entire handle out of solid Timascus!
Once I buy it that is. Stuff aint cheap... I will have to wait till AKS uploads thinner stock too.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

That Timascus is good-looking stuff.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
mattman

Post by mattman »

but... you already had the scales cut.... why stop now?
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

That's so nice ! Would you be willing scale my Bradley Air in Mammoth tooth :)
9 er's.....

Latest :spyder:s...C173G, SC90FPGYE, C81GPGR2...
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

DCDesigns wrote:In the mean time, here is the quick diagram I drew to make sure I got everything in the right places.
Thanks for posting this diagram, DC! I'm getting ready to tear down my G10 DFly to start putting scales on it, and this will be very useful! Good luck with the Timascus - that stuff looks beautiful...

TedP
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

I cant wait to see what the finished timascus scales will look like! To bad those beautiful snakewood handles aren't goin to be used :(
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar