Any more Super Blue knives in the works?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zerimas

Any more Super Blue knives in the works?

Post by Zerimas »

I am curious as to whether there are any more Super Blue knives in the works? I have two Super Blue knives (a Caly and a Moritaka gyuto) and I love them! Also is there any chance that future offerings (if there are any) will be speced at a higher hardness than 62 HRC? Failing that, are there going to be any offerings in Blue I or II at any point? From my understanding Blue II is somewhat tougher, but less were resistant. It would be excellent for something geared toward slightly harder usage.
syphen

Post by syphen »

Hoping theres something coming down the line. In love with my Caly 3.5 SB.
Too many Spydies to list!
spydusse

Post by spydusse »

I would also like a biggerknife with superblue. Superblue superleaf!!!!!!!!!!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The Caly 3.5 in SB is, or seems to be sold out in the larger stores. It seems to have gone over pretty well IMO.

There was a lot of buzz about it before it was released, and then again after people began seeing how easy it sharpened and how nice an edge it took.

I wonder how much that would change, if at all if there was other runs in this steel. I'd like to think there are a lot of AFI's out there but some times I wonder. We'll see what Spyderco decides. There's a decent chance in my opinion.

I'd like to see another alloy steel used some time. Something that would call to the AFI's and steel junkies. Cruware/Mastiffwear might have been a canidate due to it's performance . We'll see how the mules do when reintroduced. When done right with a very good heat , in a knife that plays to it's strengths it could do pretty well. The steel can be pretty impressive in it's own way despite not being a high vanadium steel.

We'll see. I doubt the production managers and sales people like making the investments in resources necessary, and scheduling factory work on knives that might scare people off due to it not being stainless. Super blue did cross that line and set a precedent but it was a more exotic steel that people knew about from the use in high end chefs knives.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I got gifted the SB caly recently. It is my favourite steel at the moment. Id be all over another model with SB
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zerimas,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

No, we don't have anything planned for SB at this time. We're always open to suggestions.

sal
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

sal wrote:Hi Zerimas,

No, we don't have anything planned for SB at this time. We're always open to suggestions.

sal
Hi Sal,

It would be cool to see SB used on a Native 5 or maybe a Chaparral. ****, maybe even a Para 2 or Superleaf :D
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

hehe, how about I ask for a new model with superblue :p I know, thats out of the question :D .

actually, I think a caly 3 wth it would go down well. or on a chaparral since thats going to be a steel platform
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

+1 on the para 2, or a Military, if that's possible, does it have to be a seki model?
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Rutgrr wrote:Hi Sal,

It would be cool to see SB used on a Native 5 or maybe a Chaparral. ****, maybe even a Para 2 or Superleaf :D
I wouldnt expect to ever see SB on any of those. Dont get me wrong, I would love a para in SB, but I believe they will go with a Seki knife if they will be making more. My vote goes for a Super Blue Dragonfly.

The japanese are funny about using other nationality's steels, I wonder what they will think about sending their steel to golden for some US made knives. Being as weird as they are about that sort of thing, I think they might find some reason to be offended by that suggestion... sheesh :p
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I would think Seki only as well...which is too bad. How about a Caly Jr run with SB?
On the hunt for...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Rutgrr wrote:Hi Sal,

DCDesigns wrote:I wouldnt expect to ever see SB on any of those. Dont get me wrong, I would love a para in SB, but I believe they will go with a Seki knife if they will be making more. My vote goes for a Super Blue Dragonfly.

The japanese are funny about using other nationality's steels, I wonder what they will think about sending their steel to golden for some US made knives. Being as weird as they are about that sort of thing, I think they might find some reason to be offended by that suggestion... sheesh :p
It could show up on one of those, the Superleaf, as it is a Seki-made knife. But you're right about the rest.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com

Post by 1623 »

A new Harpy in Super Blue with anything but Stainless would be superb and most appreciated.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

sal wrote:Hi Zerimas,

sal
Thanks! Assuming SB can only be reasonably used on Japanese models a SB Stretch, or maybe a Persian would be delightful! A SB Temperance 2 or Bill Moran might do well, as people in the market for an outdoorsy knife are probably more receptive to carbon steel. Although, a SB Temperance would be way outside of my price range.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Para 2 in SB would be awesome!
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
guidosst

Post by guidosst »

I'd love to see a drop point (FB02) Moran in Super Blue. The standard VG-10 is great, but a Super Blue model would be just stellar.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You're only gonna see SB in a Seki knife. Dragonfly, Stretch FRN, or Jess Horn Lightweight sprint plz!!!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

guidosst wrote:I'd love to see a drop point (FB02) Moran in Super Blue. The standard VG-10 is great, but a Super Blue model would be just stellar.
+10

I would definitely grab a few of these!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Blerv wrote:You're only gonna see SB in a Seki knife. Dragonfly, Stretch FRN, or Jess Horn Lightweight sprint plz!!!
I just looked up the Jess Horn, the burgundy that was released as a Sprint Run is particularly appealing, as is the white micarta! I really like the micarta handles on my Buck Hoodlum, so I would be keen on a micarta folder.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Zerimas wrote:I just looked up the Jess Horn, the burgundy that was released as a Sprint Run is particularly appealing, as is the white micarta! I really like the micarta handles on my Buck Hoodlum, so I would be keen on a micarta folder.
I never had a chance for one but like the idea :) . Seems a slim and light knife, great for a saber-grind test of super blue.