Spyderco Endura 4 (with Emerson opener)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
13ones

Spyderco Endura 4 (with Emerson opener)

Post by 13ones »

Hi I'm new to these forums. I've been looking at buying an Emerson knife for EDC, but due to design and cost I will be opting for a Spyderco Endura 4 with the Emerson wave opener. My only concern is with the handle colour. It seems to only be available in grey right now, but I've also seen it in black. How do I order this knife with the black handle?

Thanks
rycen

Post by rycen »

Never made in black. Scales are a dark blue gray.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
13ones

Post by 13ones »

Darn I was really hoping to buy this knife with a black handle. I'll probably buy it anyway. Thanks for the help.
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

You could always dye it black if you don't like it...personally, I like the color. Welcome to the forums BTW
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

It's pretty dark, I think you'd think it was close enough to black. Here
13ones wrote:Darn I was really hoping to buy this knife with a black handle. I'll probably buy it anyway. Thanks for the help.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
oregon

E4 Emerson is dark but not black, blends with blue jeans

Post by oregon »

13ones

Post by 13ones »

Thanks. Hopefully Spyderco incorporates the Emerson wave opener with other knives as well.

Anyway, what kind of dye would you use and how will it hold up? I wouldn't want to degrade the integrity of the handle material for something so vain.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Rit cloth Dye. Do a web search on dying frn spyderco scales you'll find plenty of info inculing youtube videos. However, Give the dark gray a chance I think you'll like it. I have both a Black saber and the wave. I thought the same as you when I first got the wave but it grew on me. You could find a black one used and swap scale also. Just a thought
13ones

Post by 13ones »

What website is the most reliable with the best prices to buy from? I was looking at Knifeworks and Knifecenter earlier today. Knifeworks is slightly cheaper, but Knifecenter offers a 60 day money back guarantee.

Edit: I just placed an order on Amazon through Outfitter Country for $69.99 before shipping and handling and $82.95 after. I wasn't going to pay $20-$30 for shipping through Knifecenter/Knifeworks, etc. It should arrive between December 1st to 9th. I'm excited!
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Use dye if you really don't like it but the colour should work well with blue jeans, and darker coloured pants.
You can always duracoat the knife there are a few videos online about it.
The colour works though.

Good move getting the Emerson as well, I'd say the knife is a faster draw than any assist or switchblade from the pocket.
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The P'kal is also waved but clearly a unique tool.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

rycen wrote:Never made in black. Scales are a dark blue gray.
Well, I'll be!

The stock photos on Amazon and other sites make it look black. The clearer pics in this thread let me know it's dark blue.

Now I want one! I'm kind of tired of black FRN, but the dark blue is nice.