Compression Lock Issues

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mdsmith

Compression Lock Issues

Post by mdsmith »

Hey guys. I just got my Para 2 and I love everything about the knife.... except the lock. I'm a lefty, and I just can't seem to find a comfortable, secure way to close it one hended. I know that I can just use both hands, but it is nice to be able to operate a lock one handed. The other issue is that it seems to stick a bit. If I open the blade very softly, it isn't too bae, but it you open it with any type of force, either by flicking your thumb or wirst, it is quite hard to disengage the lock. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm hoping that the lock gets easier and that I get more comfortable with it, because I absolutely love everthing else about this knife. If this is just how it goes with compression locks, I may need to exchange it for a lockback like the Native 5. Thanks
--Matt--
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The harder you snap it open, the more the lock tab is able to pop into place. I don't think this will ever get any better unless the lock tab wears and breaks in to the point that it's easier to wedge in and out. I dunno, i don't open mine that hard. If i open mine about 1/3 of the way and snap it open with my wrist as hard as i can, the lock still doesn't stick...it might just need broke in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
2cha

Post by 2cha »

What I do to close it one-handed, push on the tab until the lock connection is broken, then push spine of blade on outside of thigh while getting fingers out of the way. Then, I use the fingers just removed to close the blade all the way.

I'm having trouble understanding what is going on with your lock. It sounds like perhaps there is a little burr either on either of the mating surfaces--lock tab or, more likely tang cut-out. If there is more than your imagination going on (no judgement, happens to me all the time), then Spyderco will fix it or you could just open and close repeatedly until the burr wears away. Another culprit could be pocket dander stuck in the action somewhere.
mdsmith

Post by mdsmith »

Evil, I just did what you said, and mine was VERY hard to close.

2Cha, I don't think there's a burr, and there definitely isn't any pocket lint (I just got it yesterday). It just seems like the lock engages a tad too far or something. Or maybe that's just how these locks are.

Any when I say flicking it open, I'm not doing anything extreme. I just hold the knife, and flick my thumb. I don't use any wrist or anything most of the time.
--Matt--
mattman

Post by mattman »

I think the usual suggestion for this is to rub a pencil on the part of the tang the lockbar contacts. The graphite will lube it up nicely...
JD Spydo

Dry Lube

Post by JD Spydo »

You might want to try a top quality dry lube like the "BP 2000" that Sentry Solutions makes. I've found that with the "ball bearing" and "compression" locks the dry lubes work for more superior. Albeit I'm not much of a White Lightning fan but I've heard that some folks have fared well with it.

When I had my original Gunting I used the BP 2000 with great results :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Don't have a Para 2, but other threads say it may need to break in. (hav a Para1)
Does the blade move easily when unlocked? That is, Pivot pin screw not too tight.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

mdsmith wrote:Hey guys. I just got my Para 2 and I love everything about the knife.... except the lock. I'm a lefty, and I just can't seem to find a comfortable, secure way to close it one hended. I know that I can just use both hands, but it is nice to be able to operate a lock one handed. The other issue is that it seems to stick a bit. If I open the blade very softly, it isn't too bae, but it you open it with any type of force, either by flicking your thumb or wirst, it is quite hard to disengage the lock. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm hoping that the lock gets easier and that I get more comfortable with it, because I absolutely love everthing else about this knife. If this is just how it goes with compression locks, I may need to exchange it for a lockback like the Native 5. Thanks
We'll unionize, you and I. Every time I make the comment that I absolutely love everything about the compression lock (which is true) except that it is not very lefty-friendly, I get lectures about how I'm wrong and stupid and keck-fisted. :( It is possible, but IMHO it's not ideal. I'm fairly ambi and to be honest I find opening and closing the CL knives easier with my right hand. There is a YT video somewhere showing the better way to use the LH thumb. If it doesn't get linked quickly I'll try to post a very short video to show you how it seems to work. Not ideal IMHO but worth the bother.
mdsmith

Post by mdsmith »

Thanks for the replies guys. I opened and closed the knife a few hundred times and it seems a little better.

Gull - The blades does swing freely once the lock is disengaged.

Matt - thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

J - After playing with it a bit, I found a somewhat easy way, although not the safest. I just hold the knife normally in the left hand, point the tip to the floor, and use my thumb to press the lock. I do this because at this point me fingers are in the path of the blade if it were to close all of the way. Once it's pressed, I start to raise the tip of the knife a bit until the blade closes enough to keep the lock disengaged. Then I use my index finger on the spine of the blade to push it closed the rest of the way. At that point my fingers aren't in the path of the blade because I'm holding the knife with my thumb on one of the handle scales, and the rest of my fingers on the other. I hope this is at least somewhat understandable.
--Matt--
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

I am a lefty, and I guess I just got lucky with my CTS-20CP PM2, because my lock has been perfect and smooth from day one. As a lefty I still prefer the Axis lock, but the compression lock is (to me) still better than a liner lock in terms of operation and operation. In fact, the liner lock is the main reason I am not yet considering the lefty Military any time soon.

Will
wvguy8258

Post by wvguy8258 »

I like that the Para 2 lock sticks open. I can easily disengage it on purpose, but it will be nearly impossible to accidentally do so.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Indeed most compression lock have that sticky feeling and I honestly think there isn't much that can be done in this respect.
However, I discovered a technique that makes things easier when it comes to unlocking (at least for me). When I press the tab with the thumb, I don't squeeze it laterally, but merely downwards, like I'd do with a lockback. Odd as it may seem, it feels to me the action is smoother.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Donut

Post by Donut »

You know how you unlock a lock back? Try that motion, just hold it in your hand and move your thumb to the back and push the release with the side of your thumb.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!